Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Building an Intake?

This is a discussion on Building an Intake? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by mark21742 white posterboard, sharpies, and masking tape are a fabricator's best friends haha yea i know what ...

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    white posterboard, sharpies, and masking tape are a fabricator's best friends

haha yea i know what u mean. i just talk to a friend of mine today in the machine shop and he said as long as i can get him a good poster board cut out he can machine the parts i need so i can weld it together

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    you do realize a intake manifold is not ever just welded together?

in order to build one you need a SOLID chunk of aluminum and alot of machining experience and in order to build a good manifold from scratch i would say it would take a minumim of 3 months of work.

a intake manifold is for a machining class not a welding class. if you wanna weld. put a rollcage in your car. all kinds right there.

its just kinda something i wanna try to do it doesnt need to be bullet proof or top notch quality i just wanna see if i can do it and this site that mark21742 sent me shows that its not as hard as u might imagine try looking at this one
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...lds/index.html

im not trying to bust on u or anything i value ur help in all honesty

but seriously take the time to read that page its very interesting

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    you do realize a intake manifold is not ever just welded together?

in order to build one you need a SOLID chunk of aluminum and alot of machining experience and in order to build a good manifold from scratch i would say it would take a minumim of 3 months of work.

a intake manifold is for a machining class not a welding class. if you wanna weld. put a rollcage in your car. all kinds right there.
    Aren't most intricate designs like this made from some kind of mold, not from machining? Think about it...how the hell are you gonna get a bit or water jet inside a huge chunk to remove material...? I mean, I have VERY LIMITED knowledge on the subject, but it would seem much more efficient to melt the aluminum and pour it into a mold.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Aren't most intricate designs like this made from some kind of mold, not from machining? Think about it...how the hell are you gonna get a bit or water jet inside a huge chunk to remove material...? I mean, I have VERY LIMITED knowledge on the subject, but it would seem much more efficient to melt the aluminum and pour it into a mold.
    You can its just probably not going to be a fast style, look at the highrise intakes i could see how they could be machined...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    You can its just probably not going to be a fast style, look at the highrise intakes i could see how they could be machined...
    True...But, doesn't Edelbrock use a casting process for all of their manifolds? I'd assume most major manufacturers woule do the same, and then use maching to clean them up

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    True...But, doesn't Edelbrock use a casting process for all of their manifolds? I'd assume most major manufacturers woule do the same, and then use maching to clean them up
    yea but alot of that is so they can be mass produced...

hugger orange

yea but alot of that is so they can be mass produced...
    exactly....plus look at the gain you can get from going into a cast intake with a grinder and doing some port and polish work

red
    1998 Z28

to answer a few questions no an intake does not need to be molded. i talk to my local machine shop guy(who is very old school but knows alot about the ls1) and he said that its extremely possible as a matter of fact he has a costumer that builds intakes like the one im doing for a living. basically doing this is a hotrodding kinda trick its been done for motors(like the ls1) that have just been put on the market and dont have intakes avalabile yet.its been proven very effective alot of pro-stock cars use them cuz supposably when done correctly they gain 30 horses over a performance intake. now im not shootin for any numbers like that i just wanna do it to do it. i know there are probably alot more efficent ways of boosting power but i like to tinker alot to get a better understanding for my hobby... if u guys catch my drift

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    to answer a few questions no an intake does not need to be molded. i talk to my local machine shop guy(who is very old school but knows alot about the ls1) and he said that its extremely possible as a matter of fact he has a costumer that builds intakes like the one im doing for a living. basically doing this is a hotrodding kinda trick its been done for motors(like the ls1) that have just been put on the market and dont have intakes avalabile yet.its been proven very effective alot of pro-stock cars use them cuz supposably when done correctly they gain 30 horses over a performance intake. now im not shootin for any numbers like that i just wanna do it to do it. i know there are probably alot more efficent ways of boosting power but i like to tinker alot to get a better understanding for my hobby... if u guys catch my drift
    I know what you mean man, I not only understand, but I'm right there with you. I've fabbed motorcycles from scratch, done a few intakes years ago for some odd ball motors and a honda 4, but never for an lsx....yet

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

thats why i like to do all my own work... even if it was something that should be left to the pros...F that i will learn and do it myself

hugger orange

thats why i like to do all my own work... even if it was something that should be left to the pros...F that i will learn and do it myself
    plus I like to sit back after and beable to say I did or built that myself

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

plus I like to sit back after and beable to say I did or built that myself
    Exactly, its just not the same to go pick up your car from the shop and crack a cold one and say "job well done"

hugger orange

Exactly, its just not the same to go pick up your car from the shop and crack a cold one and say "job well done"
    I'll be the first to admit though I have gotten in to some projects and then wished I had taken it to a shop to have done lol

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I'll be the first to admit though I have gotten in to some projects and then wished I had taken it to a shop to have done lol
    that fucking #8 spark plug lol no the clutch install was a bit over by head but it works fine and has held up 30k miles, for a spec thats damn good as far as i can tell

red
    1998 Z28

haha u guys r speaking my language! so mark u said u have built some intakes before just not for the ls1... how did they work?(power wise) and how did they hold up?

hugger orange

haha u guys r speaking my language! so mark u said u have built some intakes before just not for the ls1... how did they work?(power wise) and how did they hold up?
    i made two intakes for honda civic motors out of 3/8 steel plate for flange, with basiclly 4 peices of strait exhaust pipe into a handmade sheetmetal box, and a flat flange for the tb to mount to, actually they were pretty easy. kind of like building a header. i drilled a hole and welded (bungs) in to mount the injectors. about same power (it was a honda after all) lol worked and heldup great....they did look good too.

briggs and stratton 10 hp engines have a $175 (choke-a-matic) carb(intake and carb one peice)....drill press and welder made an adapet for a small bike carb in about a half hour

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i made two intakes for honda civic motors out of 3/8 steel plate for flange, with basiclly 4 peices of strait exhaust pipe into a handmade sheetmetal box, and a flat flange for the tb to mount to, actually they were pretty easy. kind of like building a header. i drilled a hole and welded (bungs) in to mount the injectors. about same power (it was a honda after all) lol worked and heldup great....they did look good too.

briggs and stratton 10 hp engines have a $175 (choke-a-matic) carb(intake and carb one peice)....drill press and welder made an adapet for a small bike carb in about a half hour
    my fav. project was building a motorcycle lift.... really simple but the over-all concept was ingenious, took more engineering than anything...

hugger orange

my fav. project was building a motorcycle lift.... really simple but the over-all concept was ingenious, took more engineering than anything...
    damb, atleast seeing you post at any hour of the day or night lets me know im not the only one around here that doesnt sleep lol

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

damb, atleast seeing you post at any hour of the day or night lets me know im not the only one around here that doesnt sleep lol
    i get bored easilly, ADHD doesn't help, and the gf is 4 hours away... i got nothing better to do....

i live in elizabethtown, and i have an extra intake manifold for my '95 lt1, let me know if you need to use that. I'm interested to see how this will turn out, so let me know if i can help you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information