Black
    2005 GTO

Broken exhaust manifold bolt

Damit!

Every thing was going so well all the bolts were coming out no problem. I was kinda just skipping around bolt to bolt loosing each one alittle at a time. I went an put the socet on the 1st bolt on the drivers side and it was already loose. Well that was odd cause I did't remeber even touching that one yet. The damn thing had broken off some how and I have no idea how cause I never even toched it. Whats the easiest way to fix this? There is nothing sticking out to grab ahold of it pretty much flush with the head. What are the chances it won't leak? I'm thinking of just putting the header on and hoping for the best. Every thing else went so smoth the pass side came off no problem and the new header went right in.

Thanks
    Jon

Buddy of mine cross-threaded the same bolt installing his and couldn't tighten it all the way. His didn't leak. He later broke it off trying to get it out to replace it, then drill it and try to get it out- unfortunately he hit dexcool. My advice is have a shop get it out. At least it's #1, could be worse.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Blow-by without a bolt?

I installed Percy's High Performance gasket, Aluminum on my install. They will probably seal for you as they compress when torque is applied unlike a lot of the others. Over time I believe any gasket will blow-by without a bolt. But.....if hard pressed would go with the latter and check for burn through from time to time. May never leak but a pain to change as you know so if you have the time get a machinist drill/tap and remove bolt. They have the proper drill bit/tap and because it is #1 have it out PDQ.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

black
    2001 ws6 trans am ramair

how much will that be to fix im haveing the same thing whit my ws6 and the guy at the shop say it was like that but i know he did it

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GinoRamAir View Post
    how much will that be to fix im haveing the same thing whit my ws6 and the guy at the shop say it was like that but i know he did it
    If you can do your own work.....
    best thing to do is probably take the head off and take it a shop to have the broken bolt tken out and the hole possibly retapped.... but on the bright side that is the perfect time to do some port work on the heads.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Personally, I would do it myself. Take the head of, buy a left handed drill bit that is quite smaller than the bolt diameter. Make a nice starter punch hole in the middle of the bolt so your not sliding all over. If your really lucky, the left handed drill bit will take it out when drilling. Probably not though, its worth a try. Then go buy some "easy outs". They work great. I have used them so many times with great results.

Pretty much what your ding ( and what the shop would do) is drill a hole in the broken bolt, then smack the easy out into the hole and use a wrench to turn it out. I dont see any other way of doing it.

There is the method of welding a nut to the bolt(not the head)... but that takes some skill, I have screwed up a Cat head trying to be a hero and doing that. Do what you feel comfortable with.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am ramair

my car is at a shop and i wanted how much money to pay them for the work there tell me about 250.00 bucks to fix is that to much ???

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

There is an old saying, If your gona play your gona pay. It realy depends on what it is worth to you to have them do it. Oh and I would talk to the shop owner and tell them something like I brought it to you to avoid this kinda of shit. if he doesn’t offer to cover the cost I would offer to split the cost with him since they broke it.

black
    2001 ws6 trans am ramair

i did that he says my car was like that win i come in to the shop thats some b.s but now my cars is all in parts in hes shop and i dont know what to do but pay him to fix it ???

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GinoRamAir View Post
    i did that he says my car was like that win i come in to the shop thats some b.s but now my cars is all in parts in hes shop and i dont know what to do but pay him to fix it ???
    he kinda has you by the balls now

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Pick up some Left handed drill bits, and extracter set and a angle drill. Start off slow and small and work your way up in drill bit size. Dont rush it and ensure your centerd on the bolt. If you get lucky it will back out with the drill bits. If not then you will need to use the extractor's. Also becareful not to break off the extrator, could make life horrible. Dont need to remove the head.
    Tools = 60 bucks
    labor = free
    Case of beer = 13.00
    Feeling of accomplishment priceless
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Pick up some Left handed drill bits, and extracter set and a angle drill. Start off slow and small and work your way up in drill bit size. Dont rush it and ensure your centerd on the bolt. If you get lucky it will back out with the drill bits. If not then you will need to use the extractor's. Also becareful not to break off the extrator, could make life horrible. Dont need to remove the head.
    Tools = 60 bucks
    labor = free
    Case of beer = 13.00
    Feeling of accomplishment priceless
    J
    Yep, its not hard at all man. I do it all the time. Hes right, you really dont need to remove the head to do this. I wouldnt pay someone to do for me.

Thread Information