Results 1 to 20 of 20

Borla tunable exhaust?

This is a discussion on Borla tunable exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I met this kid witha ws6 this weekend and while we were bullshittin he asked me if I wanted to ...

  1. #1
    Member knightryda01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    710

    midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

    Borla tunable exhaust?

    I met this kid witha ws6 this weekend and while we were bullshittin he asked me if I wanted to buy a Borla. HE said it was the tunable one $300. It was just sittin in his garage and he was tired of looking at it. Says it was 2 years old.

    I don't know much about exhausts. What should I be looking for etc.

  2. #2
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    holy cow! take it and RUN!!!! that's a great deal if the tips are in good condition? Does he have the 3 interchangeable plates too? That's what makes it tunable-they come with 3 plates with different sized aperatures which allow more or less flow through the muffler. It's a great time to consider getting an electronic cut out too.

  3. #3
    Member knightryda01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    710

    midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

    He did say it was missing something like the plates or something like that. I got his number I'll find out for sure. He said I could just order it from Borla but I wanted to make sure I could get everthing I need before I buy

  4. #4
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    when i bought my ws6 it has the borla adjustable. still have it on but i dont have the extra plates. is it possible to order them.

  5. #5
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    He did say it was missing something like the plates or something like that. I got his number I'll find out for sure. He said I could just order it from Borla but I wanted to make sure I could get everthing I need before I buy
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    when i bought my ws6 it has the borla adjustable. still have it on but i dont have the extra plates. is it possible to order them.
    it's possible to reorder, but consider the following:

    the screws are rusted together
    the current setup is probably the "loudest" setting (I mean, c'mon, who wants a quiet exhaust?)
    your money is better spent on an e-cut out which is a very easy drop in for that location.

  6. #6
    Member stephen02ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dalzell, Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    899

    red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    get the kit. i paid like 840 for mine new. if you want the plates i could sell you mine, or you can just get an electric cutout like i did and put it in place of the plates.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ashville n.c.
    Posts
    35

    red
    2002

    electric cut out. how does that work? do you like it

  8. #8
    Powerstrokin LT1 > LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Aurora IL
    Posts
    1,264

    Trans Am owner
    former

    you flip a switch, and a butterfly valve opens or closes elctronicly, so you can have a mellow exhaust for cruising, or open it up, and let everyone hear you

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Buy it. I don't even like Borla and I would

  11. #11
    Slowass SUX!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    256

    09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

    I have borla and dual electric cutouts....and it is the best get it!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    38
    Bought my 02 CETA a few months back. Had a loud exhaust, I asked the dealer why and he showed me the Borla setup. Beautiful Tips. Mine is setup wide open, and I love it. If I could quiet it down occasionally it would be good, but for now, wide open is fine. Not too loud, I get a little backfire every morning first time I shift from 1st to 2nd. Very cool. I have a convertible, so the sound is great with the top down.

  13. #13
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by kheflw View Post
    Bought my 02 CETA a few months back. Had a loud exhaust, I asked the dealer why and he showed me the Borla setup. Beautiful Tips. Mine is setup wide open, and I love it. If I could quiet it down occasionally it would be good, but for now, wide open is fine. Not too loud, I get a little backfire every morning first time I shift from 1st to 2nd. Very cool. I have a convertible, so the sound is great with the top down.
    HAHA! yaaa, i miss the ole borla POP

  14. #14
    Member stephen02ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dalzell, Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    899

    red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    electric cut out. how does that work? do you like it
    you flip the switch to go from it all going through the muffler or mostly all going straight out. you can open it part way too if you want. ive got a cam, LT headers, and ORY pipe so mine is pretty loud with the cutout open. sounds mean at wideopen throttle too. i like being able to quiet the car down quite a bit with just a flip of a switch.

  15. #15
    Slowass SUX!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    256

    09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    you flip the switch to go from it all going through the muffler or mostly all going straight out. you can open it part way too if you want. ive got a cam, LT headers, and ORY pipe so mine is pretty loud with the cutout open. sounds mean at wideopen throttle too. i like being able to quiet the car down quite a bit with just a flip of a switch.
    My setup is Hooker Headers with no cats ..about a foot after headers it goes to cutouts right under driver side and passenger side seat...you can open it alittle or wide open ...i just open all the way no reason to do it half ass.... then goes back to a ory pipe and then through borla muffler

    When they are open it gets pretty much all exhaust out ....sounds is totally different when open compared to closed....best mod i ever got...

  16. #16
    Member stephen02ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dalzell, Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    899

    red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001ws6 View Post
    My setup is Hooker Headers with no cats ..about a foot after headers it goes to cutouts right under driver side and passenger side seat...you can open it alittle or wide open ...i just open all the way no reason to do it half ass.... then goes back to a ory pipe and then through borla muffler

    When they are open it gets pretty much all exhaust out ....sounds is totally different when open compared to closed....best mod i ever got...
    got the same headers. the setup on the adjustable borla is a little different than that though. it has plates to control how much exhaust goes into the muffler and how much goes straight out. i got the cutout in place of the plates.

  17. #17
    Member knightryda01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    710

    midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

    ok so where is the best place to get one of these electric cutouts? On the link 3rdshift provided http://www.dmhperformance.com has one. Just looking for the cheapest price.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ashville n.c.
    Posts
    35

    red
    2002

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    you flip the switch to go from it all going through the muffler or mostly all going straight out. you can open it part way too if you want. ive got a cam, LT headers, and ORY pipe so mine is pretty loud with the cutout open. sounds mean at wideopen throttle too. i like being able to quiet the car down quite a bit with just a flip of a switch.
    do you have one or two cutouts?

  19. #19
    Member stephen02ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dalzell, Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    899

    red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    do you have one or two cutouts?
    ive got one electric cutout in place of the plates. it is just the butterfly valve, not the whole cutout and butterfly.

  20. #20
    Member stephen02ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dalzell, Illinois
    Age
    29
    Posts
    899

    red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    ok so where is the best place to get one of these electric cutouts? On the link 3rdshift provided http://www.dmhperformance.com has one. Just looking for the cheapest price.
    i dont know if its cheaper or not but this is where i got mine
    http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between a cammed borla w full exhaust and stock borla
    By third_shift|studios in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 03:27 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:13 PM
  3. Borla Exhaust
    By fast6.0L in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 09:03 PM
  4. Z06 or borla, APK exhaust
    By gto65lvr in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •