Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

borla catback or cheaper cutback plus headers?

This is a discussion on borla catback or cheaper cutback plus headers? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well not everyone has a magnaflow...there's lots out there and all that matters is which one you like....

Black
    2000 Z-28

Well not everyone has a magnaflow...there's lots out there and all that matters is which one you like.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I got my Borla adj cat-back for $770 shipped, still not cheap, but a lot cheaper then what most places sell them for + shipping too.....The question here is, if u do get a borla do u plan on puttin headers on ur car later????.....Cause if so, u most likely won't like it, it's too damn loud and cracky with headers....If u plan on never puttin headers on, then get the borla, there is no other cat-back out there that sounds like a borla, they have a very distinct sound....If u do plan on puttin headers on, I heard a lot of ppl say magnaflow sounds good with them, but without headers I think a magnaflow is quiet.....I don't plan on ever doin headers, I hate em, there a pain the ass and I really don't like how the motor sounds with them....I'm not sayin anything bad about them, this is just my opinion of how I feel.....Oh and if u do get headers stay away from SLP, there good headers, but they are the worst for ground clearance....Good luck with ur choice
    2000 Silver Ws6 - Holly Powershot, MTI clear lid, MBA descreened 85mm maf ends, SLP bellow, SLP 160 T-stat, EGR delete, TB bypass, Elite Engineering PCV oil catch can, Sealed Ram Air, Diablo Predator, UMI SFC's, UMI Torque Arm, Borla adj cat-back

It has a big wing!

I would go with Borla...I have heard it in person and if I had the cash I would probably get it.Although I like the "stealth" qualities of my factory dual dual.

You sound like the Borla is clearly what you want.By that,it's only obvious that it's the right choice for you.

Of course be smart about it.Shop around!There are some places with great deals that might save you a couple of hundred $$$

As for the Borla sounding bad after headers...I have noticed that it's not really the headers that change the sound for the worse (HARSH RASP!) but more so that people tend to order catless Y pipes to go with the new headers...

I would say that if you do headers,install a catted Y pipe or install a dynomax bullet muffler in the Y to tame the rasp almost to zero.

I have heard Borla with LT and catted Y and thought it sounded GREAT...Very deep and growly if you will.Yet there are actually some people who say the LIKE the harsh raspy sound of the Borla with LTs and catless Y!!

The GMMG,Corsa and Magnaflow are great kits as well but,it REALLY comes down to YOUR personal preference...REGARDLESS of price.

Good luck in your choices man!

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Borla it is! where did you get your system from silversteen?

10's N/A

There is a remedy to the harshness/raspiness that headers + Borla produce...it is called a catted y-pipe. When I had my Borla system I ran twin Random Technology cats and that smoothed out the tone considerably.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

^^ Ya some one already said that.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by beer View Post
    Borla it is! where did you get your system from silversteen?
    Well u have to options
    1. Marylandspeed.com $729.95 + $39.95 shipping, From Maryland, obviously.
    2. Performancecenter.com....They will match or beat anyone's price online....They are in Cali.....Ic ur in Kansas so I'm guessing Cali might be a bit faster in shipping

I got mine from Performancecenter.com, I just used the marylandspeed.com price to beat.....U may ask why did I choose to go with a company in Cali instead of a company in Maryland which is right next to my state "PA", well it's pretty simple, I didn't like the way they treated me, they never answered my emails and when I called them, they said they would call me back and they never did, so I said F--- them.....And remember if u want the adj borla the part # is 14780, if u have any other questions, just hit it me up bud.....Good luck
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 05-12-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Removed non sponsor links

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

you can also check out ws6store.com. . . awesome customer service, and theyll match anyones prices too

White
    99Trans am

hooker long tubes gmmg exaust right here LOVE IT!!!

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

I'm planning on selling my SLP LM1 system and throwing on a set of Pacesetter Lt's and the TSP Trueduals!... cant really go wrong w/that! (for around $700!)

2000 Trans Am, 91 Camaro

im thinking about throwing on the TSP Rumbler. Anybody have this system? For the price it seems like a great deal.

BLACK
    01 WS.6

I got the borla at a steal. new in the box for 400 and the guy let me use his lift to install it. Love the sound, leave the plates off all the time. I can't wait to put headers on it.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tnanmyta View Post
    I got the borla at a steal. new in the box for 400 and the guy let me use his lift to install it. Love the sound, leave the plates off all the time. I can't wait to put headers on it.
    When you put headers on it you'll be wanting the plates on

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Love my Borla. I got it back when it was only $580 though. Not sure if I'd pay $900 for it. I leave it open (no plate) all the time w/headers and ory. Love it. Those saying it's too raspy and to get a catted y, all you have to do is close it up a lil.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Love my Borla. I got it back when it was only $580 though. Not sure if I'd pay $900 for it. I leave it open (no plate) all the time w/headers and ory. Love it. Those saying it's too raspy and to get a catted y, all you have to do is close it up a lil.
    When was the Borla system $580???

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    When was the Borla system $580???
    5 or 6 years ago. Most places sold it for $6XX, MTI sold it for $580.

10's N/A

5 or 6 years ago. Most places sold it for $6XX, MTI sold it for $580.
    Wow! I've never seen the adjustable kit for that cheap - ever.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

They raised the price after they introduced the non adjustable one.

10's N/A

They raised the price after they introduced the non adjustable one.
    Oh, okay. I new a guy that had a shop make him a custom Borla-type exhaust using a Dynomax Bullet muffler. They machined him different sized custom plates using the standard plates for a cut-out.

White
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    But your pocket book will....Borla=over priced cat back, sorry but it is......You can beat the sound and save your money..
    Opinion.... You get what you pay for, so buy what you want!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information