Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bolt on duals?

This is a discussion on Bolt on duals? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; TSP makes mandrel bent 3" duals, dump before the axle though. I love the sound, not to bad a idle ...

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

TSP makes mandrel bent 3" duals, dump before the axle though. I love the sound, not to bad a idle but loud as hell at WOT. Bolted right up to my Pacesetter headers.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    I spoke to my exhaust guy today. $140 to run 2.5" true duals, with me providing the mufflers. He said he can't take them over the axle though, because he couldn't guarantee them not hitting anything. So for $290 ($140 pipes/labor + $150 Flowmaster Deltas) I can have true duals under the axle. I guess they'd have better flow under axle. Anyway, that's less than a catback system and he said there's plenty of ground clearance. Opinions?
    Sounds like a good price...but I wouldn't go with an under axle setup. You're compromising ground clearance by a lot, and you risk destroying your rather expensive exhaust on a multitude of different things, from speed bumps to potholes. Not worth it IMO, just have him route the exhaust in the stock location with dual pipes, it shouldn't really have any serious fitment/clearance issues.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I've been to 3 exhaust shops, none can/will route my duals over the axle (which is my preference). The only option I have is the Bassani setup, but it's rather expensive ($800) in comparison.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    TSP makes mandrel bent 3" duals, dump before the axle though. I love the sound, not to bad a idle but loud as hell at WOT. Bolted right up to my Pacesetter headers.
    i was thinkin about getting the tsp dumps too, but i dont know what muffler to get, bullets or sweet thunder, and i wanna be loud. u got a sound clip of urs?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

nope, unfortunately not. I listened to numerous clips on ls1sounds before buying mine and decided on the Sweet thunder, like I said before it is louder than stock at idle but still not obnoxious, at WOT it screams like a nascar. I have heard the bullits are just as loud at WOT but they are louder at idle than the sweet thunder. hope that helped.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

yeah it did, thx

Black
    99' WS6 Trans-Am

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I've been to 3 exhaust shops, none can/will route my duals over the axle (which is my preference). The only option I have is the Bassani setup, but it's rather expensive ($800) in comparison.
    Attachment 8753

Thats a pretty shitty exhaust shop if they can't do this! If they would just challenge themselves they could do it for maybe $400 to $500
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-23-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

My normal exhaust guy's done pretty good work on my true duals in the past, on my 87 & 88 SS Montes, my 79 Z28 and my 85 IROC and always charged under $200. His concerns are the clearance and that the metal will be stretched too thin on the longer part of the bend. He said he wouldn't do work he wouldn't guarantee, and that there is plenty of clearance to run them under and still hang higher than the suspension does stock.

The other shops basicly shared the same opinion, under not over. There aren't really alot of options around here so far as places to get exhaust work done.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Where can I get a set of mandrel (or mandrell, I've seen it spelled both ways) bent bolt on duals? Has anyone ordered or used these before? All of our local exhaust shops bend the pipes the old way, reducing internal pipe size.

bassani makes a bolt in tru-dual system for the f-bodies. direct bolt to the factory cats and runs al the way out the back. i have it on both of my cars. here's pics of it on the black car. http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I've seen the Bassani duals (except for the not so true dual muffler), they do look and sound nice. The best price I've seen on them is $779, in comparison to $290 for an exhaust shop to run true duals with dual mufflers. I have a hard time spending the extra $500 on exhaust that I could use on other mods. I haven't ruled Bassani out, but I'm hoping to find a shop that can run true duals over the axle. I'm looking around in about a 50 mile radius...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

what's not so 'tru-dual' about the muffler? it's a dual in/out muffler.

the 290 w/mufflers from an exhaust shop isn't going to be T439 stainless steel mandrel bent tubing going over the axle with chrome tips either. may/may not have a x-pipe.

most likely, it'll be mild steel (rusts) crushed benttubing w/basic mufflers that will dump before the axle. you will need to check your local laws about dumping under the car. some states require the exhaust to exit past the passenger compartment. dumping under the car before the axle will not pass.

in all my testing with the bassani, i picked up .3 and 3 mph over stock muffler with electric cutout on the black car. i picked up 15 rwhp over the borla 3" adjustable catback on the wife's car with way less interior noise.

here's some sound clips

the wife's car

stock cam

with vinci 062 cam
    rev in park

idle in park

idle in drive

my car
    stock manifolds w/with cats

going down the track on the juice
    Last edited by mrr23; 12-27-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    what's not so 'tru-dual' about the muffler? it's a dual in/out muffler.
    From what I understand, the muffler is not separated inside. It's just a dual in dual out. (I'm a huge fan of true duals, they're on all my other cars.) I guess it's a sound preference. Bassani sounds good to me too (Better than any catback or dumped setup), but there's just something about the sound of true duals (under bumper exit).

I do not like the sound of the dumped exhaust, and it creates way too much interior resonation for me. I like a refined rumble, but not an obnoxious blast. I had a 79 Z with an obnoxious exhaust, LTs with bolted on cherry bombs followed by turn downs. It was track only though. The TA is a daily driver.

If I can't find someone that can go over axle, I'll probably end up using the Bassani. I just hate to spend that much $$$ on exhaust.

BTW - I like your car's over your wife's. You're using Bassani without headers?
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-17-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the muffler does have an open chamber right where the two pipes go into the muffler. then, there are two perforated pipes running the rest of the length of the muffler. honestly, all of these 'true dual' systems cease being 'true' duals if they ever come together. so, once the exhaust enters the x-pipe, both sides mix with each other.

an honest to goodness 'true dual' system is one where boths sides stay seperated and never come together. the term 'true dual' came along in the mod 70s when the y-pipe came along. the cars started coming with single in dual outlet mufflers. so, they were termed 'fake duals'. and the name of true duals came about because of it.

here's a pic of the inside of the bassani muffler.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

I had a 79 Z with an obnoxious exhaust, LTs with bolted on cherry bombs followed by turn downs. It was track only though. The TA is a daily driver.
    my first f body was a 1979 z28. i did the longtubes with straight 2.5" piping into some cheapo mufflers that dumped under the car. man was it loud inside the car.

BTW - I like your car's over your wife's. You're using Bassani without headers?
    yes, my black car is with stock manifolds and currently gutted cats. the wife's is a complete bassani setup. optimum length headers, metalicats, and tru-duals.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The resonation of my Z would give you a splitting headache. The whole cockpit vibrated. I loved it when I was 18, but it's too much for me now. I want a good refined sound, without the interior pulsing.

When you gutted your cats, did you thow a SES code? Or did you tune it out? A friend of mine was telling me about a little trick using spark plug foulers into each other with the rear o2 sensor getting enough heat not to throw a code. I didn't catch it all, but am going to research it a bit. Are you using AIR & EGR systems?

I may scratch the headers for now, and just order the Bassani setup and a stall. It would probably be a much easier install, for now.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

ran around with the SES light on until i got HPTuners. yes, i am still using the AIR and EGR.

i'm running 11.26 @ 123 with stock manifolds and pulled 475 rwhp. so, no need for headers yet.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Not bad at all. Any idea of the difference between Bassani ($950) and Bassani BX ($780)? (besides about the $170)

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the piping is aluminized mild steel instead of T439 stainless steel. the muffler is the same.
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-17-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

They're both lifetime warranty, do you think it's really worth the $170 extra for stainless?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information