Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt On Advice

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Bolt On Advice

So I just go a 99 T/A ls1 and I am looking to beef it up a little bit for starters. What are some good header and exhaust combinations?? Thanks for the help.

read the sticky
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well alot of people like pacesetters and borla/ ect ect....texas speed makes a great off road y pipe...if oyu can spring it go with stainless steel headers...like hooker or kooks or qtp..for catbacks its pretty much anything goes besides flowmaster 80 series if you want downright rasp..go slp loudmouth..but be warned..with long tube headers alot of people say there is to much drone and rasp...thats why the have created borlamouth, or dynomouth ..ect check out ls1sounds.com for sound clips

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks I checked out the sticky. I was leaning towards the loudmouth cat back and bbk shortyy headers

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by D_OPP_99LS1 View Post
    Thanks I checked out the sticky. I was leaning towards the loudmouth cat back and bbk shortyy headers
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on shorties..they dont do anything..mids to long tube or nothing.

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Sorry lol as you can see I'm new to f-bodies. What about the mac longtubes with the y pipe.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

go long tubes. the SLP LM will be extremely loud with that setup. i know from experience. its hit and miss with people. some like it loud, others think it has rasp and sounds bad. its a matter of personal taste. personally i loved the sound of mine when i ran LT's/ORY and SLP LM catback. you'll piss some people off, that's for sure...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Sorry lol as you can see I'm new to f-bodies. What about the mac longtubes with the y pipe.
    MAC headers are mid-tube headers. usually dyno just a little less than a true long tube header. just do LT's...

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks for all the help. My roomate has an 06 mustang with shorty headers and a LM exhaust and I like the sound. doesn't sound to raspy. Raspy to me sounds like stupid ricers.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Thanks for all the help. My roomate has an 06 mustang with shorty headers and a LM exhaust and I like the sound. doesn't sound to raspy. Raspy to me sounds like stupid ricers.
    one cant compare a OHC engine to a pushrod engine. they are worlds apart, not to mention the difference in engine displacement affects sound as well. you will never get an Ls1 to sound llike a mustang no matter what one tries...

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

So I just go a 99 T/A ls1 and I am looking to beef it up a little bit for starters. What are some good header and exhaust combinations?? Thanks for the help.
    What kind of money are you looking to spend?? Pacesetter LT's are one of the most respected budget header out there. If you want to spend a little more in the 6-700 dollar range then Kooks and QTP are really good SS headers. As far as the rest of the exhaust your choices are pretty much endless. All you can do is look at the sticky, listen to some systems on ls1sounds.com, and listen in person if you can. Do you want to keep your cats? You can go X pipe or a Y pipe...

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    one cant compare a OHC engine to a pushrod engine. they are worlds apart, not to mention the difference in engine displacement affects sound as well. you will never get an Ls1 to sound llike a mustang no matter what one tries...
    Very true. I wasn't trying to make a comparison and to me performance outweighs the actual sound. I'm just worried about the scrapping problems that some LT headers create

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    What kind of money are you looking to spend?? Pacesetter LT's are one of the most respected budget header out there. If you want to spend a little more in the 6-700 dollar range then Kooks and QTP are really good SS headers. As far as the rest of the exhaust your choices are pretty much endless. All you can do is look at the sticky, listen to some systems on ls1sounds.com, and listen in person if you can. Do you want to keep your cats? You can go X pipe or a Y pipe...
    I'm looking to keep my cats since it's a daily driver and would like to keep it street legal cuz I had to jump through too many hoops to keep my other car on the street. I'm still planning on getting the SLP LM, and still looking at headers. I want to try to get this setup right the first time. I like the Kooks setup, but it is a bit pricey. I haven't seen a x- pipe for my T/A yet but I would jump at the opportunity since they flow better than the y pipe.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I'm looking to keep my cats since it's a daily driver and would like to keep it street legal cuz I had to jump through too many hoops to keep my other car on the street. I'm still planning on getting the SLP LM, and still looking at headers. I want to try to get this setup right the first time. I like the Kooks setup, but it is a bit pricey. I haven't seen a x- pipe for my T/A yet but I would jump at the opportunity since they flow better than the y pipe.
    Texas Speed makes a true dual system for our cars.
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=56

Don't think you can get one with cats though...you might be able to fab some in but idk. I just picked my kooks up off of ebay for $725 shipped brand new. I thinks that's one of the best deals you will find for those headers. But if your not looking to spend that much I would def check out Pacesetter long tubes with the ceramic coating. Great fitment...alot of guys run these headers and no one has complained about them. Just fyi they will rust in the future. Loudmouth with headers is going to be very loud and raspy. I think its either a love or hate...

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I don't mind it being loud (as long as you can hear the person next to you) The clips do sound really loud however. I like the look of the texas speed exhaust, do you think passing emmisions will be a problem though.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I don't mind it being loud (as long as you can hear the person next to you) The clips do sound really loud however. I like the look of the texas speed exhaust, do you think passing emmisions will be a problem though.
    I don't really know much about emissions man...

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I need to save up a little bit but this is what I have come across that I like. Hooker LT ceramic headers matched with slp LM. I'm leaving the midpipe options open to see if a catted x-pipe can be matched up with the slp system.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

I need to save up a little bit but this is what I have come across that I like. Hooker LT ceramic headers matched with slp LM. I'm leaving the midpipe options open to see if a catted x-pipe can be matched up with the slp system.
    It really wouldn't make sense to match an x pipe up to a non dual system. The loudmouth needs to be paired with a Y pipe. You can get those catted.

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks. I really appreciate all the help. Sorry for my NOOBness

silver
    99 Trans Am

Hey if ur interested in mac midlengths i have the set + Y. i was going for longtubes but a friend of mine took em off his car to do a turbo setup and sold em to me, but im still debating on what to do. so if u want a pair pm me and ill send ya pics

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I think im going to stick with a true LT, but thanks for the offer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information