Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bolt On Advice

This is a discussion on Bolt On Advice within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by D_OPP_99LS1 I need to save up a little bit but this is what I have come across ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by D_OPP_99LS1 View Post
    I need to save up a little bit but this is what I have come across that I like. Hooker LT ceramic headers matched with slp LM. I'm leaving the midpipe options open to see if a catted x-pipe can be matched up with the slp system.
    Hooker LTs are a great option IMO...unfortunately, they will rust some over the course of several years...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Another note: the Hooker headers are known to seal really well-always a plus!!

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

everything is going to rust. IMO stainless steel is good for longevity while ceramic handles heat very well. I'm leaning towards the hookers. they are quite pricey, but they seem worth it and sound really good with the LM system. So I got that squared away what is a good midpipe (one with cats).

Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

Hey guys,
    Forgive me for stealing thread for a moment.
    99 trans_am what kind of shape are the mac midlengths + Y in and how much you looking to get?
    Any pics?

Thanks

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

fwiw i got pacesetters with TSP TD's (Bullet Mufflers) and i get lots of compliments on how the car sounds and it was a nice boost in performance

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    fwiw i got pacesetters with TSP TD's (Bullet Mufflers) and i get lots of compliments on how the car sounds and it was a nice boost in performance
    agreed, i have the EBay "XS" stainless steel headers with TSP TD's but i installed dual SLP LM resonators over the sweet thunder tips that it came with. now, the dual LM resonators bring a whole new meaning to having a NASCAR sound on the street. it makes the SLP LM sound 'quiet'...

i need to pull the dyno video off my camera and post it on YouTube, it's just nasty sounding...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

don't get SLP LM.... most of SLP's stuff is garbage. I bought their lid, CAI and bellow... which may be the only thing they make worth getting (except for the bellow)

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    don't get SLP LM.... most of SLP's stuff is garbage. I bought their lid, CAI and bellow... which may be the only thing they make worth getting (except for the bellow)
    A lot of SLP's stuff does have issues but there loudmouth is NOT one of them. I installed it myself with no issues whatsoever. Its all SS and not a spot of rust is on mine after 7 months through the winter. For $389 shipped to your door its not a bad deal.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

^ i was just referring to the sound. my b

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    ^ i was just referring to the sound. my b
    o okay I gotcha..yeah its kind of a, either you love it or hate it. IMO it sounded great with manifolds.

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I like a loud and distictive exhaust and I have had no problem with slp's exhaust system in the past, and its very affordable.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I say get some stainless long tubes and just put a cutout on the stock catback. Spend the catback money somewhere else.

WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

I have the Hooker Super Comps SS with Texas Speed Y pipe and Hooker Catback.
    The Texas Y is the worst Y pipe as far as fitment. I had to bend and weld it ALOT to get it to fit half decent, and it rattles against the bottom of the car when its cold.

But as far as the Headers, you CAN'T go wrong with them. This is a part that you want to go the extra mile and pay for the best parts.

I had Pacesetter's on my last Trans am, dont get me wrong, they were ok headers, but they were small and thin walls. If you dont buy the Hooker Super Comps, then buy the Pacesetters, Dont buy any thing else.

Ebay brands are junk, and SLP headers hang way too low and are alot harder to install (so i've been told)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 6speedTAthistime View Post
    Ebay brands are junk,
    Not necesarily true. XS headers work great. Got mine off ebay dirt cheap.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I like a loud and distictive exhaust and I have had no problem with slp's exhaust system in the past, and its very affordable.
    I would go for it, my car has slp LM1 and I am not disapointed. It may not be the deepest sounding exhaust but everyone will know its a V8 and will be a huge attention getter. Its a very distentive sound, different. My friends can recognize the sound of my car before it comes into sight, and I dont even have LT's yet. Worse case senario you think its annoying, so just but a borla, dynomax or flowmaster 1 chamber in place of the LM resonator, problem solved.
    Last edited by WS6ICK2K; 04-03-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm gonna get the LM once I get my next check in.

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Well I bought the LM on monday and can't wait till it comes it. As for the install is there going to be any need for cutting or does the old one just a bolt on as well? Next on my list of mods is going to be an intake and tune. What are some good programmers. I used to like the diablo sport untill i've heard some negative things about them for reasons im not sure why.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Well I bought the LM on monday and can't wait till it comes it. As for the install is there going to be any need for cutting or does the old one just a bolt on as well? Next on my list of mods is going to be an intake and tune. What are some good programmers. I used to like the diablo sport untill i've heard some negative things about them for reasons im not sure why.
    it will bolt right up to the back of your y-pipe. if you bought the modular system it's pretty much putting the pieces together and clamping them tight. you can weld the conntections if you want...

speaking from personal experience, dont waste your money on a hand-held tuner. you can take the money you waste buying one of those and put it towards getting a real tune (HP Tune or Ls1Edit)...

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by 6speedTAthistime View Post
    ...Ebay brands are junk...
    really, and what has been your personal experience with any of the Ebay headers, that allows you to make such a statement?

i mean do you own a set? have you installed a set of Ebay LT's on your car? a friends car? have you seen them in person? have you even touched a set of Ebay headers, like for example the XS headers? i mean im curious as to why you claim that they are "junk"...

i personally i have the XS header from Ebay, and i have yet to encounter any problem at all concerning the install, fitment, wear/tear, the finish, workmanship, the quality of the welds, or any other kind of "JUNK" as you say...

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Wheres a good reliable shop that can help me out with that. Dallas isn't that far away from me but the gas is going to hurt my pocket a little bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information