Natchamp

Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers

Hi Guys,

Totally new member here. I'm developing some billet valve covers for the LS1 and LS2 motors. I'm looking for some feedback on a couple of things. Attached are a couple of pics of what I have so far. I’ve designed them to use the stock mounting bolts/grommets and seals. I’ve also incorporated mounting the coils right onto the covers to do away with that ugly stamped steel bracket.

First, there is a 3/8" hose barb on the stock passenger side valve cover. Would this hose connector be a necessity? If so, I can incorporate a –AN style barb fitting but I’m trying to find out if it’s something people would want/need.

Second, I have the same basic question regarding the breather grommet on the drivers side cover. I’ve already incorporated that into the design as you can see in the pictures but just thought I’d check on the need/want of it.

Also, is there a general preference for having a flat top to the covers or “fluted” like shown in the pictures? I will probably offer both versions but would like to get a sense for what’s more popular.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Mark

Natchamp
    ahhh, come on guys. Not any comments? I'm just looking for some feedback. Maybe these wouldn't be as popular as I thought.

RED98WS6
    Quote Originally Posted by Natchamp
    ahhh, come on guys. Not any comments? I'm just looking for some feedback. Maybe these wouldn't be as popular as I thought.

Those are very nice!! I like them. What is the pricing?

Let me know, I might be interested in a pair.

Natchamp
    Thanks Red, I'm still figuring out the pricing. I put a set on ebay to see what kind of interest they will draw. I'm hoping for somewhere around the $350 range. It's a lot of material to start with and a ton of machine time. cheers and thanks again.

Rhino21149
    They look nice. Clever trick with the coil mounting brackets.

A couple of comments.

First, much of your market will be from people who have or will heavily modify their engines. This means they will have added, or will add somewhere along the line, shaft-mounted rockers in order to take the stress of a high-lift cam, and that means the stock rocker covers will no longer fit. Their options at this time are:
    a) buy an extension-casting that fits under the stock rockers, using the same gaskets, and raises them about 1 1/3 inch, which I think is available from Summit or Thunder racing, or
    b) buy the cast aluminum rocker covers from Katech made originally for the C5-R Lemans race engine, which cost quite a bit. I went for the the latter on my vette, paying extra for polished aluminum labels that said Corvette C5R - about $1200. You might want to either just raise the height of these so they can cover most roller rocker sets, or offer extensions or a raised version: I believe a lot of your potential market will want these.

Second, given that these covers look really really nice, why cover them up with the coils back on top of them, just because the factory put them there. The shop I had do my work relocated the coil packs (actually hid them under the fenders so they are invisible--they just mounted them on the brackets and mounted those under the fenders and made up longer plug wires--all you see are the plug wires coming out to the engine, four from each side) so those beautiful Katech rocker covers with the polished letters now stand out for all to see. From what I can see of you product, it would be a shame not to do the same: they look really nice, particularly if polished up.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Those are definetly a good idea and they look great too. I don't know why someone hasn't started producing these a long time ago. I do agree with the thought of making so you can run aftermarket valve train. Great idea. Wouldn't mind having a set for myself. I would have to have them chromed or clear anodized. I'm too lazy to keep them polished.

Natchamp
    I made some smooth top ones as well as some tall ones too. The tall ones are 2.5" tall. After several suggestions, I'm going to offer them in short, tall, smooth, fluted, coils, no coils, pcv and no pcv.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    They look nice. Clever trick with the coil mounting brackets.

A couple of comments.

First, much of your market will be from people who have or will heavily modify their engines. This means they will have added, or will add somewhere along the line, shaft-mounted rockers in order to take the stress of a high-lift cam, and that means the stock rocker covers will no longer fit. Their options at this time are:
    a) buy an extension-casting that fits under the stock rockers, using the same gaskets, and raises them about 1 1/3 inch, which I think is available from Summit or Thunder racing, or
    b) buy the cast aluminum rocker covers from Katech made originally for the C5-R Lemans race engine, which cost quite a bit. I went for the the latter on my vette, paying extra for polished aluminum labels that said Corvette C5R - about $1200. You might want to either just raise the height of these so they can cover most roller rocker sets, or offer extensions or a raised version: I believe a lot of your potential market will want these.

Second, given that these covers look really really nice, why cover them up with the coils back on top of them, just because the factory put them there. The shop I had do my work relocated the coil packs (actually hid them under the fenders so they are invisible--they just mounted them on the brackets and mounted those under the fenders and made up longer plug wires--all you see are the plug wires coming out to the engine, four from each side) so those beautiful Katech rocker covers with the polished letters now stand out for all to see. From what I can see of you product, it would be a shame not to do the same: they look really nice, particularly if polished up.
    He's right i know you put alot of time into thoes and personally i really like em. But for the modified world as rhino said you might want to think about an extended version or heightened to broaden your market base so you'll have buyers from the modified and stock world and this will help your selling angle because let's face it...they are very nice..but who doesn't love money?? hehe
    So if you can develop the extended model so EVERYONE can enjoy your work!!:beer3:

Natchamp
    Cool, all good info. Did you notice the taller version though? It's 2 1/2" inches tall and should give plenty of room.

Natchamp
    ohhh, and they are a lot cheaper than $1200!!!

White
    98 Trans Am

i'm not trying to give you a hard time here or anything like that but just incase you don't know I'm pretty sure only the latter half of 4th gen f-bodys have center bolts for valve covers. i think 98 and 99 and maybe 00 years have perimeter bolts. Thought id give you a heads up incase some one needs those you can have a wider range of possible customers.

BRIGHT RED
    2002 FIREHAWK

I like the taller pair better then the first set...would have to agree
    Rhino21149 about not mounting the coil packs on top. If it its possible maybe you can embose the top of the covers with stuff like( Trams Am, WS-6, Firehawk) just a suggestion.

purple
    2004 GTO

I know this was awhile ago but were these ever offered? I'm very interested

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

How much HP will these add to my engine; 1/4 mile improvements? Stock ones do fine for me....... BTW, wouldn't mount the coils directly to cover, they will experience higher operating temps which could possibly decrease coil pack life.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

please tell me your joking

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    please tell me your joking
    i'm joking.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I would be very concerned with mounting the coils directly to the valve covers....they are mounted the way they are for a reason. You do not want to toast them......that concerns me greatly. You could mount the coils along the firewall or under the fender well in the GTO's come to think of it.....
    Other than that they look good man. Keep them under $300 a set and let us mount the coils on the "ugly ass" bracket and your good IMHO.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Maybe he could produce a aluminum "pretty" coil pack bracket?

purple
    2004 GTO

Stock covers won't clear Harland Sharps w/ Trickflow heads. Believe me I know I have the exploded rocker to prove it. Just trying to find a reasonable alternative to leaky spacers and 800+ pretty valve covers and coil relocation kits

Thread Information