Which is Better Lid vs. CAI

This is a discussion on Which is Better Lid vs. CAI within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ive been looking into the K&N CAI http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=57-3022-2|0 is it worth the extra $$ over the SLP lid i have ...

2000 Camaro B4C

Which is Better Lid vs. CAI

Ive been looking into the K&N CAI http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=57-3022-2|0

is it worth the extra $$ over the SLP lid i have now

would going to a bigger lid help get me some more power?

Ive been looking and reading but i cant seem to find a definite answer to which lid/cai will be the best for me.

(mods in sig)
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the Volant kit and modified the ram air hood to feed directly into the two filters. My buddy had the K&N he likes it, I didn't like the look and fit as much as the Volant. Not sure what the difference would be on my car if I pit a lid on now instead but it was too plain and everyone had them I wanted to stand out and I love the fit and performance of my Volant, just had to dye the filters red to match everthing else the blue looked out of place
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

On tech I have seen them throw one of those fans in front of a ramair and it showed no difference. I got the ssra and didn't notice a difference, if anything it sucks in cooler air.

white
    2000 Z28

lid over k&n and/or volant in non ram air cars all day. free ram air mod, lid, and sealed air box is what i run. i dont mind a dirty air filter. hell they are cheap. i dont like the idea of the k&n because it is a giant plate and open air filter vs vacuum of a sealed box.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    Ive been looking into the K&N CAI http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=57-3022-2|0

is it worth the extra $$ over the SLP lid i have now

would going to a bigger lid help get me some more power?

Ive been looking and reading but i cant seem to find a definite answer to which lid/cai will be the best for me.

(mods in sig)
    No its not worth the extra money. There will be no difference in power. I got the slp lid. Great fit, great look and plus 10 hp not too shabby for 100 bills

black
    1999 Camaro SS

i vote lid

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I bought a volant cai for my first mod and could tell a big difference. I vote volant cai over a lid

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FYI: Volant setup only works if you have a way for cold air to get to it (such as SS, Ram Air or similar aftermarket hood).

Here is how I know this:

I had one on my Z28 with a flat hood. Car ran respectable with a best 12.7x @ 106+. Swapped out for a basic lid (MTI in my case with attendant cut out base and plastic piece under the base) and car went 12.59 @ 108. +.15 sec and almost 2mph.

I'm sure the Volant works well but only with access to fresh air. Otherwise the seal cuts off most of the air.

Just thought I'd give you guys the benefit of my experiences with these parts. Although I'd have liked to get the "ram air" benefits of the Volant, in my case swapping to a lid was cheaper than getting a fresh air hood and having it painted.

Thread Information