Best set of headers for most hp gain ?

This is a discussion on Best set of headers for most hp gain ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm looking at purchasing a set of headers and have read countless threads about them ... My situtation: I have ...

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Best set of headers for most hp gain ?

I'm looking at purchasing a set of headers and have read countless threads about them ... My situtation: I have about $600 to spend on headers, Im looking for the most HP i can get out of them. This car will probably get up to 500hp or so within the next 2 years so they need to withstand some power. I heard that Hooker Super Comp. LT Cermic coated 1 7/8" headers are amazing for $500-$600. Any input/advice is much appreciated, i dont want to end up spending my money ignorently also is there much diffrence between the 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" performence wise ?
    Last edited by 98Z28importslayer; 05-27-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

do you have extra money for the new midpipe? for 600 bucks u can get pacesetter coated with ypipe and not have enough money to install.

for headers alone the hookers are really good. dynatech also makes good stuff. I would definitly say get coated headers, and really the higher quality headers only help with a little more low torque more so than peak HP. either way, if youre looking for 500hp any long tube can get you there, even the pacesetters.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Quote Originally Posted by SpecterGT260 View Post
    do you have extra money for the new midpipe? for 600 bucks u can get pacesetter coated with ypipe and not have enough money to install.

for headers alone the hookers are really good. dynatech also makes good stuff. I would definitly say get coated headers, and really the higher quality headers only help with a little more low torque more so than peak HP. either way, if youre looking for 500hp any long tube can get you there, even the pacesetters.
    I saw that texas speed offered the Cermic Coated Race version Pacesetter LT's with the TSP 3" ORY, I currently have a 3" I pipe so i think i would just end up modifying the one i have on there, But do you think i would be better off getting the 3" ORY from pacesetter or TSP ? would my best bet be the set from TSP (Pacesetter LT's and TSP ORY) ? im also going to be putting a cutout/cutouts ethier in my ORY pipe or the start of my I pipe.

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

the pacesetter TSP ORY setup is the exact one i bought. install was ridiculously easy... as in, about the same ammount of work as an oil change on my old mustang.... technically the other mentioned will make more hp, but on a 30ish rwhp gain for the whole system ur talking about a few horses and IMO isnt worth another couple hundred bucks.

about the Y, if ur planning on doing it urself id probably just buy the ypipe and sell off ur old one and ud come ahead of having some shop do the modification for you. but if a shop is doing it regardless then have them just cut ur current Ypipe, i had my entire driverside Y remanufactured by a muffler shop cuz i took a bad bounce when the thing wasnt hangin right..... that only cost me 60

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a set of headers and have read countless threads about them ... My situtation: I have about $600 to spend on headers, Im looking for the most HP i can get out of them. This car will probably get up to 500hp or so within the next 2 years so they need to withstand some power. I heard that Hooker Super Comp. LT Cermic coated 1 7/8" headers are amazing for $500-$600. Any input/advice is much appreciated, i dont want to end up spending my money ignorently also is there much diffrence between the 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" performence wise ?
    I recommend 1 3/4" unless you are planning major engine modifications or forced induction. 1 7/8" will limit your power until you have a lot of air moving through

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

yeah i dont plan on doing any forced induction. The most my car will see is full bolt-ons, cam, heads, upgraded internals, suspension and tranny work and mybe a 75 shot. Im just trying to think ahead of time meaning a year and half to two years ahead.
    Last edited by 98Z28importslayer; 05-28-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Pacesetter 1 3/4" longtubes.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I love my hooker....I mean hookers. They don't bang, they don't hang down to low. They haven't leaked, I could go on and on. I love them.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I bought the cheap ass stainless ones off of ebay...$240 shipped. You will have to modify air/egr fitting or the plumbing to make them fit if still running emissions components. Or, you could just have them welded shut! You will also have to either have the driver side collector dropped 1/2" or just have an exhaust shop tweak your exhaust tubing on that side.

I dunno about a "proven" gain over pacesetter, as I have yet to put it on the dyno, but they're $240 bucks, and there is definately a huge power increase!
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 05-30-2008 at 05:57 AM.

rapter34
    I was going to get the pacesetters when I was showed these from another person on this site. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...spagenameZWDVW. I have recived these headers and wow. I was amazed at for the price that I bought them for I got well made SS headers. I have not had a chance to put them on yet but everyone says they go in fine. just some more info for ya.

Thread Information