Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 camaro SS

best plugs for 01 ls1 camaro ss?

What are the best new plugs for the 01 ls1 camaro???
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

lots of people recommend ngk tr5s, others like acdelco iridiums
    should be fine either way

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Just make sure to gap them correctly, apply a little anti-seize to the threads, use dielectric grease on the boots and only torque them to 11 ft.lbs.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I pass on the NGK's anymore.
    Autolite AR103's

Going to get a bunch of different opinions on this one though.
    For the price of the iridium, I go with your basic plug. They are 4x as much but only last 3x as long.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Why the 103's? I also would not go with an Iridium. I currently have tr55's in and they cost 2.29 a plug. I just change them yearly. Which doesnt bother me cuz i like working on my car

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Little closer to the heat range the factory LSx likes.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think ill give them a try

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Acdelco iridiums.
    I has that on my Z
    Now I have acdelco rapid fire on my ss. No complaints.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No best plug really. Also depends on how often you want to change em.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

NGK TR55's on mine... have no complaints, been runing them for 16,xxx miles ill be changing them every year!

Autolite is about the best plug out there. NGK's don't stick to their advertised heat ranges and ACdelco has changed their numbers around so much in the past few years that most of the good heat range plugs have been discontinued, and in some instances they don't even offer a heat range in the part numbers anymore. So you have to wonder what the hell you are getting.

Autolites all the way for me anymore. Whether you want to run platinum or copper core is up to you. Copper is a better conductor of electricity and is the plug of choice for racers and all out HP applications. Platinum is nice if you don't like to pull your plugs every 10,000 miles.
    Like Luos said, 103 is the optimum heat range and is about 1 step colder than the original plugs. APP103 for the double platinum, or the AR103's for a copper core. The AR's have the ground strap cut back to expose the electrode for better flame travel. You can save yourself a little money by going with the standard 103's and just cut the ground strap back yourself. That's what I do on all my plugs.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Autolite is about the best plug out there. NGK's don't stick to their advertised heat ranges and ACdelco has changed their numbers around so much in the past few years that most of the good heat range plugs have been discontinued, and in some instances they don't even offer a heat range in the part numbers anymore. So you have to wonder what the hell you are getting.

Autolites all the way for me anymore. Whether you want to run platinum or copper core is up to you. Copper is a better conductor of electricity and is the plug of choice for racers and all out HP applications. Platinum is nice if you don't like to pull your plugs every 10,000 miles.
    Like Luos said, 103 is the optimum heat range and is about 1 step colder than the original plugs. APP103 for the double platinum, or the AR103's for a copper core. The AR's have the ground strap cut back to expose the electrode for better flame travel. You can save yourself a little money by going with the standard 103's and just cut the ground strap back yourself. That's what I do on all my plugs.
    man how come when i asked this question someone couldnt answer it like that for me!!!

Haha, everyone has their own particular plug they like to use, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I used to be an ACdelco lover and never used any other plug. But a few years ago they started discontinuing part numbers that I had used for 20 years. They took away some heat ranges that I needed (I have various classic cars) so I was forced to look at other alternatives. In some part numbers, like the new numbers they offer for the LS engines, they don't even list a heat range anymore.
    A friend of mine started experimenting on the dyno with NGK's. I had used them once in an LS engine. And it didn't matter what heat range we stuck in the engine, the EGT's never changed from TR4's to TR6's. 6's being the cold number according to NGK, which is completely backwards from every other plug manufacture out there. NGK's are made in Japan in case you were wondering.
    The current (4 years ago) ACdelco plug ran very hot, and had no heat range listed on the part number. The Autolites are what impressed me. Stepping down a heat range dropped the EGT's which is what a colder plug should do if it's working properly. So it's been Autolites for me ever since, made in the USA too (for the time being) But Honeywell is starting to outsource alot of stuff over seas now. They might be considered a Ford plug by many, but I'm using them in everything from Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac with no complaints.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-16-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    NGK TR55's on mine... have no complaints, been runing them for 16,xxx miles ill be changing them every year!
    And that's just it. Some people think they need to run platinum or some other expensive plug so it will go 100,000 miles. And that's fine, it does however give up a slight amount of performance.
    Alot of people are under the impression that if they run a copper core plug such as the TR55's you have, that they'll be changing plugs too often. That's really not the case. A copper core plug will go 10-15,000 miles before they start to degrade. The electrode wears down and the gap increases. That many miles is more than a years time for most people. Granted a year or year and a half is more often than a 100,000 mile plug, but lets be honest, changing plugs every year or year and a half really isn't all that troublesome. Especially if it's your only toy that's a weekend fun car.
    Try 10 cars or more,,,lol.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

NGK hasn't failed me yet. I used to swear up and down w/ their iridiums until I did my heads and cam... My motor didn't like the heat range so I went with colder plugs.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

And that's just it. Some people think they need to run platinum or some other expensive plug so it will go 100,000 miles. And that's fine, it does however give up a slight amount of performance.
    Alot of people are under the impression that if they run a copper core plug such as the TR55's you have, that they'll be changing plugs too often. That's really not the case. A copper core plug will go 10-15,000 miles before they start to degrade. The electrode wears down and the gap increases. That many miles is more than a years time for most people. Granted a year or year and a half is more often than a 100,000 mile plug, but lets be honest, changing plugs every year or year and a half really isn't all that troublesome. Especially if it's your only toy that's a weekend fun car.
    Try 10 cars or more,,,lol.
    haha i thought these were 30,000 miles plugs? well its my DD and im not disappointed in how they are but after hearing about Autolites im going to reconsider my next choice i have one more set of NGK's and ill probably just to Autolites!!!

And NGK's will work fine, they shouldn't give you problems. My only complaint with them is the heat ranges didn't respond on the dyno. Didn't matter how cold we went, it made no difference in EGT's and AFR's.

Not a real big deal on an NA application unless you are picky like me. Might possibly be an issue on a forced induction or nitrous application though if it's really tuned on the edge. That's just speculation on my part from what I've seen of them. I personally wouldn't take the chance anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    haha i thought these were 30,000 miles plugs? well its my DD and im not disappointed in how they are but after hearing about Autolites im going to reconsider my next choice i have one more set of NGK's and ill probably just to Autolites!!!
    You might go 30,000 miles, that's not too much to ask of an old copper core plug. I've done it. Depends on how picky you are about plug gaps. Techically even at that point, you can just pull them out, clean them and regap, then reinstall and run for a while longer. I routinely pull mine anyway to check on tuning changes, and I always check the gap as force of habbit.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

You might go 30,000 miles, that's not too much to ask of an old copper core plug. I've done it. Depends on how picky you are about plug gaps. Techically even at that point, you can just pull them out, clean them and regap, then reinstall and run for a while longer. I routinely pull mine anyway to check on tuning changes, and I always check the gap as force of habbit.
    idk i might get close to 30,000(maybe i only have 10,000 also instead of 16,000 on them) but we will see new plugs next summer for sure...

White
    2001 camaro SS

Thanks a lot guys Big help.

Thread Information