Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Best place to put cut outs?

This is a discussion on Best place to put cut outs? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!...

  1. #21
    What Would Earl Do? Vexzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kirby, TX
    Posts
    230

    Fire
    2002 SS

    My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!

  2. #22
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Yep, every car will be different as to whether you see anything at all. It relies more on how efficient the actual exhaust system is in the first place.
    If you have a system that is scavenging and doing a damn good job then the cutout won't give you much at all.

    My chevelle is this way with a pair of 3 inch dual cutouts, doesn't yield me much at all,,,but it has a dual 3 inch system behind it with Dr. gas X-pipe and an assortment of Torque Tech pipes and super 40's. It's not even choking a 638 hp 454. But the cutouts are fun to make noise with though.

  3. #23
    OMGls1jz
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    same here, it's a rumble... mine usually only are open unless i am screwing off in town or racing, otherwise its rediculously loud on the hiway...

    yea i attempted to drive mine on the highway once but pulled right over and capped up my cutouts.

  4. #24
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    yea i attempted to drive mine on the highway once but pulled right over and capped up my cutouts.
    Mine are electric... just flip a switch... sooo much easier

  5. #25
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Mine are electric... just flip a switch... sooo much easier
    Absolutely. Before I did away with the plate & wingnuts setup and added the electric part, I had never opened mine up before, LOL

    I actually close mine as I'm slowing down after a run since it takes all of 2 seconds or so.

  6. #26
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    My cutout plate and wing nuts set in a bag in my glovebox. Rarely put it on. I like being heard from the next county over.. cant wait for headers and a cam...

  7. #27
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    alright, im going to ask the infamous question: what is the best electric cutout, and where can i get it along with a turn down?

  8. #28
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    hold on

  9. #29
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Search----Best Exhaust Cutout...

    hhhhmmm what do you know...best electric cutout?

  10. #30
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!
    so did my dyno. the track showed a loss of .1 at the 60ft, a gain of 1 mph at the 1/4 and .02 total 1/4 gain. so it was worthless at the track and worthwhile on the dyno.

  11. #31
    What Would Earl Do? Vexzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kirby, TX
    Posts
    230

    Fire
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    so did my dyno. the track showed a loss of .1 at the 60ft, a gain of 1 mph at the 1/4 and .02 total 1/4 gain. so it was worthless at the track and worthwhile on the dyno.
    But the NOISE is so satisfying!

  12. #32
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    yes it is

  13. #33
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6


  14. #34
    Member knappbunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    virginia beach
    Posts
    732

    red
    2002 ss camaro

    I was looking at the hooker 3" aero chamber we are putting on the car doesn't look like we are going to be very restricted. even the tips are huge.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    yea i attempted to drive mine on the highway once but pulled right over and capped up my cutouts.
    I did that ONCE. Drove home from the drag strip open headers in my '67 400 4-speed Firebird, about an hour. Loved the noise, the looks on peoples faces in the next lane were priceless, but my ears were ringing for 2 days.

    I would love to have dual cutouts on my car now, I almost bought the $600 ORY with dual electric cutouts when I put on the headers 2 years ago, but obviously didn't do it

  16. #36
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    I was looking at the hooker 3" aero chamber we are putting on the car doesn't look like we are going to be very restricted. even the tips are huge.
    Lots of good things said about the Aerochamber 3". I am putting on on sometime this winter. Trying to decide if I am going to do just the muffler or muffler/tips.

  17. #37
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I did that ONCE. Drove home from the drag strip open headers in my '67 400 4-speed Firebird, about an hour. Loved the noise, the looks on peoples faces in the next lane were priceless, but my ears were ringing for 2 days.

    I would love to have dual cutouts on my car now, I almost bought the $600 ORY with dual electric cutouts when I put on the headers 2 years ago, but obviously didn't do it
    You have no idea what your missing out on....IMO it was worth every penny now what i've had it on for awhile

  18. #38
    Member slpcamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunnyvale
    Posts
    453

    silver
    98 ss camaro

    i have a 98 ss ls6 intake tb, slp's cold air and slp loud mouth. Waiting for my kookes longtubes and high flow cat ypipe. thinking about putting two electronic cut outs on the y pipe should i put closer to the cat or more towards the bend? or should i just put on after the y or just leave it it'll be good enough with the headers. I live in cali so I'd have to be electric.

  19. #39
    What Would Earl Do? Vexzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kirby, TX
    Posts
    230

    Fire
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    i have a 98 ss ls6 intake tb, slp's cold air and slp loud mouth. Waiting for my kookes longtubes and high flow cat ypipe. thinking about putting two electronic cut outs on the y pipe should i put closer to the cat or more towards the bend? or should i just put on after the y or just leave it it'll be good enough with the headers. I live in cali so I'd have to be electric.
    It's the firing order that make these LS1's sound so special. IMHO put a single cutout either before or behind the axle, It'll sound great, some gases still vent through the mufflers [a little quieter], saves money, easier, just as good for power, less ground clearance issues, most of the noise behind you, preserves that LS1 Sound!

  20. #40
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    It's the firing order that make these LS1's sound so special. IMHO put a single cutout either before or behind the axle, It'll sound great, some gases still vent through the mufflers [a little quieter], saves money, easier, just as good for power, less ground clearance issues, most of the noise behind you, preserves that LS1 Sound!
    The firing order? please tell me your joking right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. cut outs
    By cspeich2011 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
  2. What are the best cut outs?
    By Mike0202 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM
  3. cut outs...
    By mr_r0bert0 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
  4. Cut Outs
    By jz28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
  5. What Cut-outs should I get!!!!!!
    By Bangbus in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •