Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best place to put cut outs?

This is a discussion on Best place to put cut outs? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!...

Fire
    2002 SS

My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!

Yep, every car will be different as to whether you see anything at all. It relies more on how efficient the actual exhaust system is in the first place.
    If you have a system that is scavenging and doing a damn good job then the cutout won't give you much at all.

My chevelle is this way with a pair of 3 inch dual cutouts, doesn't yield me much at all,,,but it has a dual 3 inch system behind it with Dr. gas X-pipe and an assortment of Torque Tech pipes and super 40's. It's not even choking a 638 hp 454. But the cutouts are fun to make noise with though.

OMGls1jz
    Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    same here, it's a rumble... mine usually only are open unless i am screwing off in town or racing, otherwise its rediculously loud on the hiway...

yea i attempted to drive mine on the highway once but pulled right over and capped up my cutouts.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    yea i attempted to drive mine on the highway once but pulled right over and capped up my cutouts.
    Mine are electric... just flip a switch... sooo much easier

Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Mine are electric... just flip a switch... sooo much easier
    Absolutely. Before I did away with the plate & wingnuts setup and added the electric part, I had never opened mine up before, LOL

I actually close mine as I'm slowing down after a run since it takes all of 2 seconds or so.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

My cutout plate and wing nuts set in a bag in my glovebox. Rarely put it on. I like being heard from the next county over.. cant wait for headers and a cam...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

alright, im going to ask the infamous question: what is the best electric cutout, and where can i get it along with a turn down?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

hold on

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Search----Best Exhaust Cutout...

hhhhmmm what do you know...best electric cutout?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    My Dyno printout proves a straight-up +20 HP by opening my single-exit cutout!
    so did my dyno. the track showed a loss of .1 at the 60ft, a gain of 1 mph at the 1/4 and .02 total 1/4 gain. so it was worthless at the track and worthwhile on the dyno.

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    so did my dyno. the track showed a loss of .1 at the 60ft, a gain of 1 mph at the 1/4 and .02 total 1/4 gain. so it was worthless at the track and worthwhile on the dyno.
    But the NOISE is so satisfying!

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

yes it is

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

red
    2002 ss camaro

I was looking at the hooker 3" aero chamber we are putting on the car doesn't look like we are going to be very restricted. even the tips are huge.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    I did that ONCE. Drove home from the drag strip open headers in my '67 400 4-speed Firebird, about an hour. Loved the noise, the looks on peoples faces in the next lane were priceless, but my ears were ringing for 2 days.

I would love to have dual cutouts on my car now, I almost bought the $600 ORY with dual electric cutouts when I put on the headers 2 years ago, but obviously didn't do it

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    I was looking at the hooker 3" aero chamber we are putting on the car doesn't look like we are going to be very restricted. even the tips are huge.
    Lots of good things said about the Aerochamber 3". I am putting on on sometime this winter. Trying to decide if I am going to do just the muffler or muffler/tips.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I did that ONCE. Drove home from the drag strip open headers in my '67 400 4-speed Firebird, about an hour. Loved the noise, the looks on peoples faces in the next lane were priceless, but my ears were ringing for 2 days.

I would love to have dual cutouts on my car now, I almost bought the $600 ORY with dual electric cutouts when I put on the headers 2 years ago, but obviously didn't do it
    You have no idea what your missing out on....IMO it was worth every penny now what i've had it on for awhile

silver
    98 ss camaro

i have a 98 ss ls6 intake tb, slp's cold air and slp loud mouth. Waiting for my kookes longtubes and high flow cat ypipe. thinking about putting two electronic cut outs on the y pipe should i put closer to the cat or more towards the bend? or should i just put on after the y or just leave it it'll be good enough with the headers. I live in cali so I'd have to be electric.

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    i have a 98 ss ls6 intake tb, slp's cold air and slp loud mouth. Waiting for my kookes longtubes and high flow cat ypipe. thinking about putting two electronic cut outs on the y pipe should i put closer to the cat or more towards the bend? or should i just put on after the y or just leave it it'll be good enough with the headers. I live in cali so I'd have to be electric.
    It's the firing order that make these LS1's sound so special. IMHO put a single cutout either before or behind the axle, It'll sound great, some gases still vent through the mufflers [a little quieter], saves money, easier, just as good for power, less ground clearance issues, most of the noise behind you, preserves that LS1 Sound!

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    It's the firing order that make these LS1's sound so special. IMHO put a single cutout either before or behind the axle, It'll sound great, some gases still vent through the mufflers [a little quieter], saves money, easier, just as good for power, less ground clearance issues, most of the noise behind you, preserves that LS1 Sound!
    The firing order? please tell me your joking right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information