Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Best ory to date

This is a discussion on Best ory to date within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; need an ory for my pacesetters is the tsp still considered the best or is there something better can't take ...

  1. #1
    Master Tech SSDEUCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    crownsville MD
    Posts
    135

    navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

    Best ory to date

    need an ory for my pacesetters is the tsp still considered the best or is there something better can't take it to an exhaust shop.

  2. #2
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    kooks or arh

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    There has been some reported issues with their recent ORY pipes. May want to do some research before you jump into that particular ORY.

  4. #4
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    I've ordered the Catted Y from LSXteme Performance- -they have a really nice ORY. The TSP has had some quality control issues, but Kooks and ARH are great quality pipes (they ought to be for the price!) Whatever you order may have fitment issues since you are trying to mate one company's pipes to another. They all angle things differently!

  5. #5
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    ARH has the best ORY on the market, their merge collectors have a better design and flow better than Kooks.

  6. #6
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    ARH has the best ORY on the market, their merge collectors have a better design and flow better than Kooks.
    and im sure you can provide dyno numbers to support your claim

  7. #7
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    and im sure you can provide dyno numbers to support your claim
    At this exact moment in time, no. However common sense says if something is smoother air will flow past it easier...sorta like a PP TB.

  8. #8
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    To the OP wondering:

    Kooks:


    ARH:


    The basic difference is the Kooks y pipe is one pipe cut into the other one, whereas ARH has a better, smoother "true" merge design. Both are great designs. I wouldn't imagine the average person would feel any difference, but as we all know all of these small differences add up or show up on the dyno, if you're a dyno queen.

    At second glance, it also looks as though the Kooks y pipe on the driver side has been flattened to resolve any clearance issues, I don't know if this smaller diameter would affect flow.

  9. #9
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post

    At second glance, it also looks as though the Kooks y pipe on the driver side has been flattened to resolve any clearance issues, I don't know if this smaller diameter would affect flow.
    well, lets go back to basic math, the diameter of the pipe changes but the area of the air flowing through is the same, so i disagree. its still a 3 inch pipe just in a diffrent shape. you follow broski? ugh ugh

  10. #10
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    well, lets go back to basic math, the diameter of the pipe changes but the area of the air flowing through is the same, so i disagree. its still a 3 inch pipe just in a diffrent shape. you follow broski? ugh ugh
    lmao..i agree the circumference remains unchanged but the diameter will affect the speed of the air...

    it's all just apples and oranges, LIGHT WEIGHT

  11. #11
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    well, lets go back to basic math, the diameter of the pipe changes but the area of the air flowing through is the same, so i disagree. its still a 3 inch pipe just in a diffrent shape. you follow broski? ugh ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    lmao..i agree the circumference remains unchanged but the diameter will affect the speed of the air...

    it's all just apples and oranges, LIGHT WEIGHT
    The shape does affect flow- think of it like water- a nice, straight pipe flows water very smoothly. Sharp bends will slow the flow. Changes in shape can cause disruptions in the smoothness of the flow. When applied to air, you create turbulance as you create disruptions. A poorly designed Y increases that turbulance and increases the amount of rasp. The goal with mandrel bends is to keep the flow as smooth and consistent as possible. This is the way I always understood it, but I'm sure there are people better qualified than I am to correctly explain it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    lol all that was left is a argument about ypipes, as if they give you great HP gains if you pick one over the other.

  13. #13
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    lol all that was left is a argument about ypipes, as if they give you great HP gains if you pick one over the other.
    i think we all know there going to net you AROUND the same HP. however, the OP is asking for the best, and as far as clearence/flow kooks and ARH are at the top

  14. #14
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i think we all know there going to net you AROUND the same HP. however, the OP is asking for the best, and as far as clearence/flow kooks and ARH are at the top
    Exactly, with the Y anything is going to get you more than stock and they may all net within a couple of HP. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive (next Tuesday or Wednesday) and I think I might be able to the LSXtreme Performance Y to that list.

    I think part of the OP's question deals with what's best for the headers he's already purchased. That is going to not only deal with flow but more importantly FITMENT to those particular headers. Anyone out there with Pacesetters have any experience with how the Y's mate up to those headers?
    Last edited by bberretta; 04-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.

  15. #15
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    ARH or Kooks are the two top, ARH just has a better design and clearance if you're into that sorta thing.

  16. #16
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    ARH or Kooks are the two top, ARH just has a better design and clearance if you're into that sorta thing.
    ehh, thats also arguable broski, the clearence on a kooks y is better than on an ARH y because of where its flattened for EXTRA clearence, which is why you argued ARH has a better flow design. stop contradicting yourself. UGH UGH

  17. #17
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Hell, I'll be happy with my LSXtreme Performance Y for half the price... heh...heh..

  18. #18
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ehh, thats also arguable broski, the clearence on a kooks y is better than on an ARH y because of where its flattened for EXTRA clearence, which is why you argued ARH has a better flow design. stop contradicting yourself. UGH UGH
    You're correct in that ARH found a way to not crush it's pipes to make it fit.

  19. #19
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    You're correct in that ARH found a way to not crush it's pipes to make it fit.
    is you look at ARH and kooks side-by-side the ARH hangs lower than the kooks. FACT.

  20. #20
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    is you look at ARH and kooks side-by-side the ARH hangs lower than the kooks. FACT.
    lol,. yes because kooks is crushed

    fwiw, every installer I know who has installed both says ARH's tucks up nicer than Kooks..but what to those silly heads know. thilly, thilly heads.
    Last edited by Vertiviper; 04-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Got my date and my job!!
    By silverWS6 in forum Military Members
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
  2. Ask a guy who just F*ckd on the 1st date anything
    By 86 IROC-Z in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM
  3. The date is set...
    By ls1camino in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
  4. Would you date...
    By Smkn_TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM
  5. Due Date
    By jimmybling31 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •