Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

best new induction setup on my SS???

This is a discussion on best new induction setup on my SS??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so a catch can doesn't give a performance advantage, it just prevents the car from getting f-ed up? are they ...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

so a catch can doesn't give a performance advantage, it just prevents the car from getting f-ed up? are they expensive or hard to install?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

not expensive, and does in theory boost performance. because you run your car cleaner, it should boost it a little. it's not at all expensive, www.ebay.com search "oil catch can".

If you decide to go with a lid, keep in mind that the HP output is relatively the same with high-flow lids. Yes mass air-flow sensors are not commonly done as the 1st mod anymore, but it does gain 8-25 RWHP, depending on the application. If you want to get a price on our Granatelli Motor Sports lid, give us a call. Tell them Mike recommended you and you are also looking for a competitive price against SLP's lid.
    Last edited by GMS Fleet; 07-27-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Dont waste the money on the MAF man, you will not get 25rwhp lol. All lids are the same buy the granitelli if its cheaper.

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

an open filter intake is always better imo. especially if its on a ram air hood that works. a lid is a lid but it only sucks up air from a small opening why restrict the vacuum. open filter is better. gathers more air.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The fact GMS replied to your thread and is a sponsor would convince me to give them a call. I saw where you got the fernco hose. Put it in some boiling water for a few minutes before putting it on and it's much easier to get on there. Still a crappy fit but it'll work.

If you want a guarantee for a competitive price against SLP, leave me a private message with how I can get ahold of you (prefer by phone), send me an e-mail @ fleetsales@granatellimotorsports.com, or call us and ask for Mike. If I'm not in ask if you can leave a name and #. Good luck with your future set-up!

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

nws Check GMS website on MAF

GMS has posted dynocharts for their MAFs and sure as heck they got ~12 HP at the upper end on a stock LS1. What's the supporting information for the 25 HP claim?

The important point is that most of the gains are up high in the RPM range - like 3000+. I don't expect to get an MAF. I'd rather put those bucks into a poly/tubular rear end suspension setup.

It depends on the application. With the dyno tests posted on our website, we gained 11 RWHP on a stock LS1 Trans Am, 15 RWHP on a LS1 Corvette, and 20 RWHP on a LT1 Camaro. HP and RWHP are not the same, and when you gain RWHP (power output from the rear tires) on a dyno that means you made more than that in HP (power output from the crank). Keep in mind that if you have intake components with less restriction and more airflow, your MAF will create more HP because of the application it's being used with.

white
    98 SS

i had the fra on my 98 ss w/ a lid and recently changed it to the volant setup. i wanted to seal off the intake air. i removed my hood insert and took a dremmel to the openings into the filter area to increase volume...... although i havnt felt any difference (hard to notice a couple hp's when you are running almost 400). i think your 400 would be better spent on a cutout, any type of lid and filter, and sub frame connectors. and obviously do your free mods - i have done them all except the egr tube reduction.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

Im A Big Fan Of Open Filters..i Have The K&n Cold Air Setup...hella Expensive.but Im Going To Order An Ultra Z Hood..i Beleive That Hood Will Be Perfect With The Open Filter...and Most Corvette Dudes I Know Run That Donaldson Blackwing Or Whatever..pretty Much The Same Thing.

white
    98 SS

btw - a real cheap LS1 motorsports lid is on sale in the FOR SALE section. check it out

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    the bellows are a waist of 30 bucks when u can go to lowes or local hardware store and make one your self for a few bucks. or get a speed density tune and then u dont need the MAF anymore and can have one nice piece of pipe and it looks a lot cleaner without it
    Whats a speed density tune? And what do they do for the car and performance?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information