Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best MAF

This is a discussion on Best MAF within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; damn my car came with a granatelli.....would a stocker from an 04 gto work on my car???...

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

damn my car came with a granatelli.....would a stocker from an 04 gto work on my car???

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Sure. Are you thinking direct injection though? Because I don't believe the LS6 intake can do that.
    I was thinking to get the plate nitrous kit.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by the_formula View Post
    damn my car came with a granatelli.....would a stocker from an 04 gto work on my car???
    nope..gto's are fly by wire arent they???

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

not in 04 i believe....i was gonna put the sensor on my car til i discovered i had a granatelli...but the sensor looked the same size and plug....just didnt know if the cpu would read it right.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Ordered my stock MAF today to replace my granatelli. Will I need to re-tune it?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000taws6 View Post
    Ordered my stock MAF today to replace my granatelli. Will I need to re-tune it?
    Who tuned it last?

Any idea if they changed the MAF tables?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Who tuned it last?

Any idea if they changed the MAF tables?
    A tuner shop in CS tuned it last. Not sure if he changed the maf tables but he did ask me if it was a stock maf. If he changed the tables, all I need to do is calibrate the new oem maf right?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Pretty much.
    Just see if the tuner can plug it in and check the MAF tables.

Impounded

Puter
    01 TA

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    just curious any one have experience with those new fully digital multisensor maf's from abaco.
    I would like to see a vendor test these out as well as the Lingenfelter piece I remember seeing awhile ago. I have a VERY HARD TIME believing that Lingenfelter would produce a sub par MAF, although I'm not sure if it still exists.

All that being said I use the stock piece but would like to see a good upgraded part.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I have HP Tuners now. How will I know if its the stock maf tables.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

There is a lot of confusing information here to be sure. The Granatelli MAF does not give the wrong readings. Each meter is flowed and calibrated on a flow stand like this:

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/2689

I have said it before in other sections but I will say it again to be sure everyone understands our position. I worked at and then ultimately owned Paxton Superchargers for many years. My personal focus while at Paxton was on calibration. I worked hand in hand with many of the Original Equipment MAF companies in an effort to make a meter that would work well with forced induction on the “suck” side. Bearing in mind we are talking late 80’s through 1998. In that time Paxton was able to come up with a few meters that would allow for increased airflow, therefore allowing the engine to make more boost without a pulley change. In 1998 I sold Paxton and started Granatelli Motor Sports and focused only on MAFs and suspension for Mustangs and F-bodies. My goal was always to make a meter that worked with forced induction but along the way we saw great power increases on the N/A cars as well so naturally that open up the market. Fast forward from ’98 to 08’, in the last ten years the market and technology has changed and made huge leaps and bounds in tuning software for GM applications. HP Tuner, EFILive and LS1 Edit to name a few now make it easier for the expert tuner to make adjustments that otherwise could not have been done. Granted if you go that route the MAF is less important because now you have full access to the ECU. However that person is not our customer. We do not cater to the guy that wants to be married to the dyno operator. 75% of the customers do not want to mess with systems like that. They just want to bolt the parts on and drive away. That is the Granatelli customer.

I kills me when I read generic statements like “owe the GMS or SLP meter just makes the car run lean” Our meters can be calibrated to run richer or leaner to your liking. If someone has a meter that needs adjusting all they need to do is call before they assume it won’t work.

We are here to help but we can’t if you don’t ask. Here is a link to a 1000 hp street driven LS2 motor with the GMS meter.

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/6197

When I read “my tuner says he can’t tune for the GMS or SLP meter” or words to that nature I have to ask myself if the “tuner” knows how to tune. All he or she needs to do is call or adjust the MAF tables within the software.

In closing, if you want a simple bolt it on and it works part GMS has you covered. If you are looking to spend time on the dyno with aftermarket software, we can still help but not as much

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    There is a lot of confusing information here to be sure. The Granatelli MAF does not give the wrong readings. Each meter is flowed and calibrated on a flow stand like this:

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/2689

I have said it before in other sections but I will say it again to be sure everyone understands our position. I worked at and then ultimately owned Paxton Superchargers for many years. My personal focus while at Paxton was on calibration. I worked hand in hand with many of the Original Equipment MAF companies in an effort to make a meter that would work well with forced induction on the “suck” side. Bearing in mind we are talking late 80’s through 1998. In that time Paxton was able to come up with a few meters that would allow for increased airflow, therefore allowing the engine to make more boost without a pulley change. In 1998 I sold Paxton and started Granatelli Motor Sports and focused only on MAFs and suspension for Mustangs and F-bodies. My goal was always to make a meter that worked with forced induction but along the way we saw great power increases on the N/A cars as well so naturally that open up the market. Fast forward from ’98 to 08’, in the last ten years the market and technology has changed and made huge leaps and bounds in tuning software for GM applications. HP Tuner, EFILive and LS1 Edit to name a few now make it easier for the expert tuner to make adjustments that otherwise could not have been done. Granted if you go that route the MAF is less important because now you have full access to the ECU. However that person is not our customer. We do not cater to the guy that wants to be married to the dyno operator. 75% of the customers do not want to mess with systems like that. They just want to bolt the parts on and drive away. That is the Granatelli customer.

I kills me when I read generic statements like “owe the GMS or SLP meter just makes the car run lean” Our meters can be calibrated to run richer or leaner to your liking. If someone has a meter that needs adjusting all they need to do is call before they assume it won’t work.

We are here to help but we can’t if you don’t ask. Here is a link to a 1000 hp street driven LS2 motor with the GMS meter.

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/6197

When I read “my tuner says he can’t tune for the GMS or SLP meter” or words to that nature I have to ask myself if the “tuner” knows how to tune. All he or she needs to do is call or adjust the MAF tables within the software.

In closing, if you want a simple bolt it on and it works part GMS has you covered. If you are looking to spend time on the dyno with aftermarket software, we can still help but not as much
    Sounds like a pain in the ass overall for a $200 mod and maybe 7-8RWHP.

Basicly, what everyone is saying, save your money for something else. $200 for the MAF, $500 for someone to tune for it, or having to send it back to you to calibrate?
    Just stick with the stocker, the one that is already set for out cars. No tuning, no calibration needed.

Put that $200 towards headers.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Sounds like a pain in the ass overall for a $200 mod and maybe 7-8RWHP.

Basicly, what everyone is saying, save your money for something else. $200 for the MAF, $500 for someone to tune for it, or having to send it back to you to calibrate?
    Just stick with the stocker, the one that is already set for out cars. No tuning, no calibration needed.

Put that $200 towards headers.
    NO - you got it 100% backwards from what I was trying to say. With our meter you don't need to spend 500 at the dyno - just put it on and be done with it. The whole idea behind our products is that they do not require retuning. I also said, if you need a touch up we can do that as well. That is the problem with aftermarket software - you alwasy have the X factor - that is a problem we do not pose.

So, if you are looking for some easy power and a simple bolt on - GMS.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    nope..gto's are fly by wire arent they???
    Fly by wire didnt start until 05. 04 is still mechanical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information