Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best low cost Mods and bolt ons ?

This is a discussion on Best low cost Mods and bolt ons ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; nooo way less...

Silver
    2000 z28

nooo way less

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Roller Rockers = Waste of money until your max modded out

400rwhp is going to need at least a cam with supporting mods (IE: Lifters, pushrods, valvesprings, oil pump, etc...) Supporting mods are not going to help make any more power but are a good practice to get into since you would be putting more stress on the valvetrain Your going to need a damn good tune also, dyno (no mail order)

I would do Cam/Intake/Supporting or Set of stock LS6 243 heads with sodium valves (02-04 LS6's) and a 224 or 228 cam with supporting/tune and you should be a lil over 400rwhp. My guess would be 405-412rwhp range

You can get away with a cam without doing most of supporting mods (IE: Oil pump, lifters) Springs are a "MUST" and pushrods are a "MUST" under certain circumstances. I wouldn't do it, unless I did it all, like I did in sig

Well...not to be a thread-jacker or anything, but I am looking for similar numbers. I only have an slp lid, superbee hood and magnaflow pipes. I got a guy that wants to sell me a cam (with the papers and dyno numbers) that he had in his f-body before selling it. What are all the supporting mods needed with a cam install? Couldn't I just put in a cam w/o supporting mods? Do I really need to get a cam since I read that the 99 cam was bigger than the others?

I could use the help.

Silver
    2000 z28

depending on the cam not all have to have the other parts, but if youre putting a used cam in without the lifters and pushrods etc. the wear on it is going to be different than yours and really start wearing

White

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    depending on the cam not all have to have the other parts, but if youre putting a used cam in without the lifters and pushrods etc. the wear on it is going to be different than yours and really start wearing
    So couldn't I just get ls6 heads to offset all/some of the wear

Silver
    2000 z28

get his lifters and pushrods or new ones but now thats getn into breaking the motor down instead of just doing a cam swap by pulling the timing cover off... if ur just getting a hot cam (new) you shouldnt have to replace all of that other stuff but with a hot cam you arent getting as much hp and torque as a true aftermarket cam

Silver
    2000 z28

if you do get his lifters and pushrods you need to make sure they are going back into the same cylinder so they keep the same wear pattern or you might as well just keep the stuff already in your motor

Silver
    2000 z28

you can get a hotcam kit from gm performance for like $400 and have everyhting you need but not as much power as other bigger cams so spend a lil more money and ge the power you really want but at the same note with a bigger cam your computer will need a tune anywhere from 300-600$ depending on where you go

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerzZ28 View Post
    even anywhere from 350-370 would be nice. I would be willing to do a cam. I've never been a fan of headers it takes away from that "stock" look.
    when you open the hood you can barely see your manifolds. don't worry no one will notice lol

White

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    you can get a hotcam kit from gm performance for like $400 and have everyhting you need but not as much power as other bigger cams so spend a lil more money and ge the power you really want but at the same note with a bigger cam your computer will need a tune anywhere from 300-600$ depending on where you go
    So what's a good cam set up for tryin to reach 400 hp? What would I need?

Silver
    2000 z28

im going with comp cams 232 234 .595 .598 112 not sure what length pushrods ill hafta get yet and a set of valve springs with a tune and my current mods i should be close to it if not over 400 hp
    2000 z28 granatelli lid k&n air filter 85mm maf sensor lakewood adjustable traction bars nitto drag radialsgot 3.73s but not installed yet waaaay more to come

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information