Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

best intake manifold for the money?

This is a discussion on best intake manifold for the money? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LeadFarmer with the stock ls1 intake and bolt ons I made 335 to the wheels. 380 to ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    with the stock ls1 intake and bolt ons I made 335 to the wheels. 380 to the wheels with my cam and ls1 intake. Picked up a ported FAST 92 with a 92mm throttle body and made 420ish to the wheels. A proper intake can give you just as much of an hp gain as the cam or heads, don't skimp out.
    I find it very difficult to believe you made an additional 40rwhp from an intake swap. Your car on the same DYNO on a different day could have picked up 15rwhp, and who knows the difference on a different DYNO as they all are different.

There were dyno comparisons a couple years back when the 102's first hit the market. It was shown that the larger 102 stomped the previous smaller versions. Even Tony Mamo who was part of that session explained there is no reason to avoid the 102 even for a small 346 cubed LS1 engine, it doen't hurt performance because the intake is a dry intake, it only deals with incoming air and doesn't have to atomize fuel unlike a carbed application, so larger size has no bearing as far as hurting power. Fuel is all taken care of at the injector right above the cylinder head ports.

So don't shy away from the 102 just because. It'll work fine. If you are spending the money for a FAST, may as well get the latest design for your money.

Personally, for even a head/cam car that is primarily street driven, the LS6 does the job. Plenty of them I've seen run bottom 11's. Even cam only cars with the LS6 will dip into the 11's easily.
    I only see the FAST setup a cost effective upgrade IF you are a serious track car that is class racing and you're looking for every last tenth. Just my opinion but I can't see spending $1500-$2000 on an intake setup for a street car. There are many other things that I could put that money to better use with.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I find it very difficult to believe you made an additional 40rwhp from an intake swap. Your car on the same DYNO on a different day could have picked up 15rwhp, and who knows the difference on a different DYNO as they all are different.
    The power jump was also due to the tune. Because I was originally running the ls1 intake with stock T/B my tuner was very conservative with the initial tune, and even left it slightly rich to compensate for future mods...didn't turn out to be a great idea. I got it re-tuned right after the intake and T/B were installed. 6 of the 8 runs booked around the 410 mark, last run was without the paper filter (was on the car due to heavy rain that week), putting it at 420.
    That power is pretty much smack in the middle of what's expected with a bolt on ms3 m6. Not unusual at all.
    Last edited by LeadFarmer; 01-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I picked up 28 rwhp going from a LS6 intake to a FAST 92/92 and some bigger injectors.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Thanks kinda what I was hoping to hear. My car is an 02 WS6, so it has the LS6 intake already. It's really hard for me to rationalize spending about $1,000 for an intake manifold and then getting a throttle body about that for a street car. I could put that sort of money to help out the bottom end, a lighter K frame or something. Plus that intake screams "look at me", but doesn't really deliver all that much more it seems (especially dealing with the smog police).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

LS6 is the best way to go for the money.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I picked up 20rwhp going from a LS6 to a FAST 92 on my H/C car on the same dyno.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

But is the 20 hp really worth getting a $1,000 manifold? Did you also by a larger throttle body? What cam specs are you using?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    But is the 20 hp really worth getting a $1,000 manifold? Did you also by a larger throttle body? What cam specs are you using?
    There are people who spend that much on an exhaust set up to get around the same gain. My 102 didn't cost $1000, it was $823 new from Maryland Speed. For the FAST depending on how much you get it for it is between $40-50 per hp.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

It's actually alot more than that if you do it (what I consider) all the way.

You need a matching throttle body, and it's all for not (in my opinion) unless you do an air intake setup to match the size if the new throttle body/intake so a better lid and couplings are in order. So that's more money. Then there is the whole fuel rail/fuel injector upgrade issue, more money.

I've priced this stuff out before, it barely comes in under $2,000 by the time it's all said and done. So unless you buy used, or find a shop going out of business that's having a clearance sale, it's alot of dough for an intake upgrade.

That's not to say I wouldn't do it. If I were competitively running an LS based engine that was fuel injected and looking for all I could get short of going with a sheetmetal setup, then the FAST would be my choice. For a mostly driven street car however I really don't care about the small gain from an expensive intake, the LS6 gets the job done well enough.

red
    2012 2ss/rs

do these ls-6 intakes fit the 2012 camaro's with a L99 engine and if so would there be any power gains

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fbodynut View Post
    So, any one have the BBK or Holley intakes??
    I have had a BBK on my car now for about 2 years and I love it. Looks good and definitely seems to pull harder from 4-6K rpm. It was one of my first mods. IMO you can't really go wrong with the LS6 or BBK. To me the FAST is way overpriced, JMO. I hear many mixed things about the Typhoon intakes. Personally after reading all the arguments and talks I decided to go with the BBK and am very please with it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's actually alot more than that if you do it (what I consider) all the way.

You need a matching throttle body, and it's all for not (in my opinion) unless you do an air intake setup to match the size if the new throttle body/intake so a better lid and couplings are in order. So that's more money. Then there is the whole fuel rail/fuel injector upgrade issue, more money.

I've priced this stuff out before, it barely comes in under $2,000 by the time it's all said and done. So unless you buy used, or find a shop going out of business that's having a clearance sale, it's alot of dough for an intake upgrade.

That's not to say I wouldn't do it. If I were competitively running an LS based engine that was fuel injected and looking for all I could get short of going with a sheetmetal setup, then the FAST would be my choice. For a mostly driven street car however I really don't care about the small gain from an expensive intake, the LS6 gets the job done well enough.
    This is what exactly how I feel. If I was seriously in track racing then yeah I could justify the expense. But seeing how this is my weekend car and overall play toy that I want to have fun in I can't see me dropping that amount of coin. I'm not saying I'd reject one if it landed on my doorstep but I have other items on my build list that have higher priority.

Whamhammer, don't get wrapped up in the HP numbers game. Figure out what you want and decide from there.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by nosnova View Post
    do these ls-6 intakes fit the 2012 camaro's with a L99 engine and if so would there be any power gains
    No - The L99 and LS3 are GEN IV motors that have rectangular port heads. The intake you would want is the LS3 or L76 style intake to work with the L99 stock heads. It should already come with this intake.

The LS6 intake is designed for cathedral port heads.

The LS3/L76 intake also has more volume of air flow over the LS6 intake.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    I have had a BBK on my car now for about 2 years and I love it. Looks good and definitely seems to pull harder from 4-6K rpm. It was one of my first mods. IMO you can't really go wrong with the LS6 or BBK. To me the FAST is way overpriced, JMO. I hear many mixed things about the Typhoon intakes. Personally after reading all the arguments and talks I decided to go with the BBK and am very please with it.
    I've seen his car and the BBK does look good.

When we going to do your headers?

SOM

It's all relative I guess. It was worth it to me, but I also wanted to paint it for some extra bling under the hood, so tack on an extra $200 for a powder coat. It looks sick though. I did get a new TB, MAF, FTP lid & bellows to complement it. No one ever said this hobby was cheap. Cam is a 231/234.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

love my fast 102

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    It was worth it to me, but I also wanted to paint it for some extra bling under the hood, so tack on an extra $200 for a powder coat. It looks sick though. No one ever said this hobby was cheap.
    Do you enter car shows?
    It's on jackstands.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I didn't think you could get plastic powder coated? Where did you get it done?

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Do you enter car shows?
    I do mostly go to car shows / cruze nights, sit around for hours BS'ing and to drink a few beers. I really wanted the FAST more for looks I guess. The HP increase was just an added bonus.

@ 98TransAm.....I got mine Powder coated from a company called "the powder pro" in Woodstock IL. They do great work....they did my rims, brake calipers and catch can.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 03-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    jonnyman likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information