Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

best intake manifold for the money?

This is a discussion on best intake manifold for the money? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks, looking at headers, lid, intake and a shot, possibly adding patriot heads down the road to get me to ...

blue
    98 T/A LS-1

Thanks, looking at headers, lid, intake and a shot, possibly adding patriot heads down the road to get me to 400RWHP

blk
    2000 camaro

Question LS6 intake

Quote Originally Posted by fbodynut View Post
    This might help give you an idea of what is involved. http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
    That is a good site that someone here turned me onto. As far as the cooling lines go, I guess it is just a difference in design between the ls1 and ls6 intakes.
    Do the LS6 Corvette intakes have provision for throttle cables since they are fly by wire? Could I make one fit my 2000 camaro?

RED
    01 VX COMMODORE LS1 HBD

Does the ls6 manifold have a 4 bolt tb and the ls1 a 3 bolt tb?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by VXLS1HBD View Post
    Does the ls6 manifold have a 4 bolt tb and the ls1 a 3 bolt tb?
    No and welcome.

1BADLS1

Black
    2000 T/A LS1 M6

not to thread jack here. but i have a 2000 ls1 stock right now. looking to go with some LT headers, ORY, full exhaust. cam and heads. i would like to see 400rwhp. not a drag car by any means, just something to run around in during summer months.

can i achieve this with my stock intake/TB. or should i go with an ls6 intake or FAST intake. what about my TB?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by wvbrett View Post
    not to thread jack here. but i have a 2000 ls1 stock right now. looking to go with some LT headers, ORY, full exhaust. cam and heads. i would like to see 400rwhp. not a drag car by any means, just something to run around in during summer months.

can i achieve this with my stock intake/TB. or should i go with an ls6 intake or FAST intake. what about my TB?
    All bold items above will get you into the 400's with a good tune. Depending on the cam and heads you could be 450's. There are alot of other things that need to be addressed if going this high. Suspension #1, power is no good if you can't plant it to the road. Rear 2nd, our 10 bolt POS rear has been know to go out under stock power, over 400 it's not if, but when it will go.

Best advice - get your car in good solid shape first then start building in the direction you want to go.

1BADLS1

Black
    2000 T/A LS1 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    All bold items above will get you into the 400's with a good tune. Depending on the cam and heads you could be 450's. There are alot of other things that need to be addressed if going this high. Suspension #1, power is no good if you can't plant it to the road. Rear 2nd, our 10 bolt POS rear has been know to go out under stock power, over 400 it's not if, but when it will go.

Best advice - get your car in good solid shape first then start building in the direction you want to go.
    thanks! so my stock intake and TB will hold up with those bolded mods? and i've already researched about the suspension and rearend. i am planning to upgrade those as well during this engine upgrade. i agree 10000% about having all that power but not being able to put it to the pavement makes it useless.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by wvbrett View Post
    thanks! so my stock intake and TB will hold up with those bolded mods? and i've already researched about the suspension and rearend. i am planning to upgrade those as well during this engine upgrade. i agree 10000% about having all that power but not being able to put it to the pavement makes it useless.
    Intake is a different matter

LS1 intake not as good as LS6 intake (I've read about a 25-30% air volume increase), BBK intake is equal or slightly better then LS6, Fast 90 is best for a LS1. FAST are for serious builders that are planning big cam and heads with weekly track use

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

for my application and from personal experience my FAST 90/90 combo (self ported), has been the best intake. this is even after swapping my Ls1 intake to an Ls6 intake, then finally my current FAST 90/90. it has yielded the best all around overall results for the money.

i believe the best intake for you is based off what the desired use and build goal of your car is. intakes can and should be application specific. i don't believe one specific intake is a bandaid coverage for everyone's build.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Intake is a different matter

LS1 intake not as good as LS6 intake (I've read about a 25-30% air volume increase), BBK intake is equal or slightly better then LS6, Fast 90 is best for a LS1. FAST are for serious builders that are planning big cam and heads with weekly track use
    The bbk is 15 lbs heavier than the ls6 but makes about 5rwh more. Then there is that whole heat sink debate.

Navy blue
    2002 Pontiac Trans am

what would be the part # for the fast intake on '02 t/a? summit dont have a part number

Navy Blue Metallic

you can make up 5hp in other places for $200 less. I still rate a LS6 intake over the BBK just because of cost per HP. Only advantage I see in a BBK is that you can port it. Some ppl like to have name recognition on the their parts for show cars. BBK has some good products, just when it comes down to the cost per hp you make out with the LS6 intake.

FAST intakes are still the top of the list.

Brian is right -
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    the best intake for you is based off what the desired use and build goal of your car is. intakes can and should be application specific. i don't believe one specific intake is a bandaid coverage for everyone's build.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiaco View Post
    what would be the part # for the fast intake on '02 t/a? summit dont have a part number

FAST is no longer selling the FAST 90/90 combo.

They are selling the 102 - goes for about $1000

Navy blue
    2002 Pontiac Trans am

ok, but would it fit my car?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your stock throttle body is only 75mm. The FAST intake is 102mm.

Navy blue
    2002 Pontiac Trans am

I know I'm gonna have to change the t/b as well, but wanted to know if it would fit and maybe a part #

Black
    2001 z28

I'll be procharging my 01 Z26 m6 would the bigger the intake be better ?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by csmiff View Post
    I'll be procharging my 01 Z26 m6 would the bigger the intake be better ?
    I have a Procharger on my 02 SS and I kept the LS6 intake and with 8psi I hit 500rwhp. The most important thing is the exhaust so you want to upgrade from your stock manifold to headers, preferably 1-7/8". With a S/C, air is being forced in so a larger intake isn't a necessity. I'd invest in something else. Upgrade your push rods and valve springs.

Black
    2001 z28

What I have

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have a Procharger on my 02 SS and I kept the LS6 intake and with 8psi I hit 500rwhp. The most important thing is the exhaust so you want to upgrade from your stock manifold to headers, preferably 1-7/8". With a S/C, air is being forced in so a larger intake isn't a necessity. I'd invest in something else. Upgrade your push rods and valve springs.
    I already have pacesetter lts and y pipe and loud mouth 1 exhaust, MIT lid and k&n, granatelli MAF and a spec stage three clutch. Do you think I'm good to go w/ exhaust( and do you think the intake would be good for more than 500 hp because my final goal is to have 625-675 rwhp?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No idea, but with that much power I hope you also have your rear end upgraded and your transmission, as well as suspension.

I hit 540rwhp with my stock LS6, but we tuned it back since I'm stock bottom end.

I also suspect you'll be running either a fuel cell or dual in-tank fuel pumps.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information