Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Best intake for CAM ONLY car?

This is a discussion on Best intake for CAM ONLY car? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm also in the "what intake should I get" boat....but didn't want to thread jack the other guy's intake thread... ...

  1. #1
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Question Best intake for CAM ONLY car?

    I'm also in the "what intake should I get" boat....but didn't want to thread jack the other guy's intake thread...

    Mine's a cam only, 342 geared, A4 car with 3600 stall...
    344rwhp@6450, shifting at 6700...

    Right now I have stock LS1 intake and ported throttle body.

    I was set on buying an LS6 intake so I could simply re-use my throttle body, but have had a few people suggest splurging on the FAST 90/90 setup...

    Car will not be getting new or better heads, just the cam it already has...in other words, the intake is the final piece of this puzzle for me...

    What's the consensus?
    2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, Rear mount Turbo, etc...
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

  2. #2
    United States Marine Kamauxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Age
    35
    Posts
    382

    Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

    Get a FAST 78mm. Then port it, and your TB.

  3. #3
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Ls6

  4. #4
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    ls6
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  5. #5
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    That's the way I'm leaning...now if I could only find one local so I'd have time to get it on and ready for the track rental we have November 17th...

  6. #6
    Member 89LX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East Coast North Carolina
    Posts
    429

    Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

    +3

    FAST 78mm tb AND LS6

  7. #7
    Member jag42420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    43
    Posts
    525

    Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    LS6 is way more cost effective.

  8. #8
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    LS6 is way more cost effective.
    Exactly my reasoning...plus, I have no intention of doing a head swap anywhere in the near future.

  9. #9
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    ls6 for cam only...

    FAST 90/90 ported once you add heads to the mix...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

  10. #10
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    ls6 for cam only...

    FAST 90/90 ported once you add heads to the mix...
    Not necessarily, if your cam is big enough the 90/90 will net you some gains on cam only cars. I know lots of guys (myself included) running a 90/90 set up on cam only cars. LS6 is store more cost effective tho.

  11. #11
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    FWIW, Mine has a baby cam when compared to most...

    226/226 595/595 112lsa

  12. #12
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    FWIW, Mine has a baby cam when compared to most...

    226/226 595/595 112lsa
    Which track are you renting on the 17th and with whom?

  13. #13
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    It is at Cecil County Dragway, November 17th, 9am-4pm (gates open at 8)
    It is sponsored and held by SuperStallions of the Net (a Mustang club), but all cars/trucks are welcome, as always. They'll be some RAM Racing cars there, as well as AshWS6's (2007 Hot Rod's most legit 9 second car), and at least a few other LS equipped cars.

    I had the link posted on EFA and Racers Den for a few weeks.

    http://www.easternfbody.com/forum/sh...threadid=46117

    Prepaid (thus cheaper) racer spots are done, but there will be 50 or less tickets available at the gate. As of now there is 126 paid cars...I'd expect a total of somewhere between 150-175 when all gate pays are done.

  14. #14
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Not necessarily, if your cam is big enough the 90/90 will net you some gains on cam only cars. I know lots of guys (myself included) running a 90/90 set up on cam only cars. LS6 is store more cost effective tho.
    i was going about it by cost as most people wont dump $1000-$1200 for a 90/90 setup cam only. i had an Ls6 intake when I was H/C and wasnt happy w/it. i went to a ported 90/90 and gained 35rwhp/10rwtq over the Ls6 intake, so to me the gains really showed going to the 90/90 after going H/C...

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    FWIW, Mine has a baby cam when compared to most...

    226/226 595/595 112lsa
    im running a 224/224 .581/.581 @112lsa

  15. #15
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    It is at Cecil County Dragway, November 17th, 9am-4pm (gates open at 8)
    It is sponsored and held by SuperStallions of the Net (a Mustang club), but all cars/trucks are welcome, as always. They'll be some RAM Racing cars there, as well as AshWS6's (2007 Hot Rod's most legit 9 second car), and at least a few other LS equipped cars.

    I had the link posted on EFA and Racers Den for a few weeks.

    http://www.easternfbody.com/forum/sh...threadid=46117

    Prepaid (thus cheaper) racer spots are done, but there will be 50 or less tickets available at the gate. As of now there is 126 paid cars...I'd expect a total of somewhere between 150-175 when all gate pays are done.
    Sounds like good times. I haven't been to Cecil in years, good luck. I saw Ashley at Capitol this past Fri night. Bill

  16. #16
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Sounds like good times. I haven't been to Cecil in years, good luck. I saw Ashley at Capitol this past Fri night. Bill
    Hey, if you don't want to race, Come on up and spectate.

    Spectator spots are ten bucks....and it's always a good time. Always lots of nice cars...Nothing like a Friday night T&T...lol.

    They have two a year and I haven't missed one since they started in late 1999.

  17. #17
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i was going about it by cost as most people wont dump $1000-$1200 for a 90/90 setup cam only. i had an Ls6 intake when I was H/C and wasnt happy w/it. i went to a ported 90/90 and gained 35rwhp/10rwtq over the Ls6 intake, so to me the gains really showed going to the 90/90 after going H/C...



    im running a 224/224 .581/.581 @112lsa
    So, is the general consensus that I'd be happy with an LS6 intake since I have no plans for a head swap?

    ...although after seeing your numbers with a baby cam I must admit I am second guessing myself about not doing heads...lol.

  18. #18
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Hey, if you don't want to race, Come on up and spectate.

    Spectator spots are ten bucks....and it's always a good time. Always lots of nice cars...Nothing like a Friday night T&T...lol.

    They have two a year and I haven't missed one since they started in late 1999.
    Hmm, just might do that. Definately wouldn't be racing, a rollback ride from Cecil to Crofton would cost a fortune. lol.

  19. #19
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Hmm, just might do that. Definately wouldn't be racing, a rollback ride from Cecil to Crofton would cost a fortune. lol.
    That, it would....

    If you come up, be sure to say HEY...just look for the big oaf in the red Camaro SS...hoping for 11's and the ability to drive it back home...lol



    (hopefully the pic shows up)

  20. #20
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    So, is the general consensus that I'd be happy with an LS6 intake since I have no plans for a head swap?

    ...although after seeing your numbers with a baby cam I must admit I am second guessing myself about not doing heads...lol.
    yes, you would be fine w/it. just saying that if you dont want to drop the $$$ for a FAST 90/90 setup.

    i look at it this way: you might not be considering heads now, but if you do in the future, you would already be set by having the 90/90. speaking from my personal experience going from the Ls6 i had to the ported FAST 90/90 was well worth it. when the mod bug bites, it bites hard...

    here is a write up that i did about porting and painting the top shell of my 90/90...

    Porting, Prepping and Painting a FAST 90 Intake Write-up (tons of pics)

    the heads im running are simple Patriot Ls6 "Style" Stage II heads: 59cc, 2.02"int/1.57"ext...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BBK SSI Intake, vs Holley Intake, vs LS6 intake, vs PP 96mm
    By Lunatikgixxer in forum External Engine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM
  2. Question: HOW TO: Swap stock intake with LS6 intake
    By thechad125 in forum General Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:17 AM
  3. LS6 intake manifold and 227 Intake runners
    By IT_SS in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  4. Single Plane Intake VS Stock PP Intake
    By xzaero0 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
  5. Difference in Stock Ram Air intake and other aftermarket intake
    By WS6-cobra killer in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •