Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best Flowing Y-Pipe

This is a discussion on Best Flowing Y-Pipe within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My dad's 80-series flowmaster (previous owner ) rasped like a hoe with mac mids and a custom y-pipe with a ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

My dad's 80-series flowmaster (previous owner ) rasped like a hoe with mac mids and a custom y-pipe with a flowmaster merge. Now with two spun-cats welded in pre-merge it's fine. This was just to pass inspection, it'll get an arh longtubes and catted y set up with a magnaflow cat back soon enough. True duals with a h-pipe (x can be a pita to route) would be so much better and gain MORE ground clearance too, but he won't go for it.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Just a thought, not sure if it would cure the "rasp" but if anyone has worked in shops, has anyone noticed that alot of new cars have some kind of weight attched tothe exhaust system, usually around merging pipes. I noticed this on a few ford product (crown vic, grand marquis, town cars). Im guessing this would be some kind of dampener? Now im not sure if that would cut down on rasp, but what about vibration? Especialy when your ypipe is under 5-6000 rpm and bangn gears worth of stress. Yeah i know "weight" ewwww but its no better than putting in SFC, STB, and Stainless Steel LT headers. Think of all that weight. OR im just crazy and im just looking for a good SS Cated y-pipe.... which i am.... just havnt picked one yet...... im done now.....

Impounded
    gmcheviac

You could try it, but why bother with all the experimenting and effort? It may or may not work, the degree of which depending on if you picked the right spot. I would just get a good catted y and slap on a bullet in the i-pipe if that's not good enough

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    You could try it, but why bother with all the experimenting and effort? It may or may not work, the degree of which depending on if you picked the right spot. I would just get a good catted y and slap on a bullet in the i-pipe if that's not good enough
    Thats what im going to do, looking at some stainless catted Ys on ebay right now. but at 375, im not too crazy about them

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I'd just get some Magnaflow "spun-cats" and the Flowmaster merge and I guess have it custom done. The TSP aluminized catted y is 350$...

Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

Kooks 1 7/8" kooks ORY and lm1 hate the lm1.... I'm saving for corsa with the 3.5 pro tips that CB is so hott

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    The y has tons to do with the rasp. The flowmaster merge cuts down on rasp because the 2 pipes entering the collector are parallel. The air flows evenly into the I pipe and out to the exhaust. On other non custom y pipes like hookers or pacesetters, one pipe is welded midway INTO another pipe. The gases collide where the pipes meet instead of flowing evenly. That meeting of gases is how rasp is produced.

PS: I love my Flowmaster merge.
    Ya I've known a couple guys with QTP lts/QTP y pipe (which comes with the FM merge) that would differ with you. Raspy as crap. Just choose the headers you want based on materials/funds, then go with their corresponding y pipe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information