Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

best f-body street legal exhaust setup?

This is a discussion on best f-body street legal exhaust setup? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the bassani tru-dual hooks to the stock exhaust cats. removes the factory y-pipe and inserts a x-pipe in it's place. ...

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the bassani tru-dual hooks to the stock exhaust cats. removes the factory y-pipe and inserts a x-pipe in it's place.

this link to my webpage shows how it hooks to the factory cats
    http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm

this dyno graph compares the bassani tru-duals to a borla 3" adjustable exhaust. at the time of this test, the wife's car has bassani headers and their catted y-pipe. i modified the tru-duals to hook to the cats of fthe y-pipe. so, this dyn oshows just what you are asking. aftermarket y-pipe and cat back vs tru-duals

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    my black car

the wife's white car.
    There you are. You talked me into the Bassani setup with the pics and sound clips. I must admit, I love it. Best money I've spent so far. I've been spreading the news!

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

Guess I should cancel my catback order

My last question is this. With the duals can you run longtubes/cats/then the dual setup or does it have to be shorties/cats/then the dual setup?
    Last edited by StylesMcKnob; 05-05-2007 at 09:17 PM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

yes you can. just have to modify the bassani to hook up to your longtubes and cats.

now, seeing as you are in california, by law, you cannot move the cats from the original location. so, you would have to buy JBA shorties that hook to the factory cats, then the bassani after the factory cats. thus, retaining the factory cats in their original location.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

I'm only in cali for a few more months then i get out of the marine corps and its back to texas
    B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Lid w/K&N Filter, ZR1 17x9.5 & 17x11s, Eibach ProKit Springs, some free mods...

Waiting to install TSP Rumbler

Hey mrr23 or anyone else familiar with Bassani,,,,,how is the clearance with driveshaft loops and aftermarket torque arms?
    I assume this system is not too hard to hook to long tube headers with an off road y-pipe,,,can the bassani x-pipe still be used?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The Bassani true duals system doesn't use a y-pipe, it's actually 2 seperate pipes from the cats to the rear bumper (except for the crossover). You have to adapt it to headers, it's made to hook up to the factory cats. So far as clearance, I haven't personally made it to the suspension mods yet. Those are next with the camshaft. I know there are people on several of the LS1 sites already running suspension upgrades with Bassani true duals though.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Hey mrr23 or anyone else familiar with Bassani,,,,,how is the clearance with driveshaft loops and aftermarket torque arms?
    I assume this system is not too hard to hook to long tube headers with an off road y-pipe,,,can the bassani x-pipe still be used?
    the only driveshaft loop i know of that will work is the lakewood that bolts to the floor pan. the ones that bolt to the trans tunnel crossbrace location do not clear very well. i tried the bmr. to get it around the bassani, it would hit the stock torque arm. don't know about aftermarket torque arm clearance with a driveshaft loop.

it will clear all torque arms that bolt to the transmission, or trans crossmember.

pics of when i modified the bassani to fit my dynatech headers
    http://www.stealthram.com/dynatech.htm

Thanks for those pics,,,helps a great deal. I can see exactly what you are talking about.
    I was figuring buying the long tube headers with an off road Y-pipe so I could use part of that Y-pipe and section it into the Bassani,,,but from your pics the Bassani looks as though it reaches far enough forward to connect to the long tubes with minimal fab work,,,,thats what I was worried about.

Now I know I can just buy long tube headers and skip the y-pipe idea.
    Thanks man

pewter
    2000 trans am ws-6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    the bassani tru-dual hooks to the stock exhaust cats. removes the factory y-pipe and inserts a x-pipe in it's place.

this link to my webpage shows how it hooks to the factory cats
    http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm

this dyno graph compares the bassani tru-duals to a borla 3" adjustable exhaust. at the time of this test, the wife's car has bassani headers and their catted y-pipe. i modified the tru-duals to hook to the cats of fthe y-pipe. so, this dyn oshows just what you are asking. aftermarket y-pipe and cat back vs tru-duals

Click for full size
    i don't mean to call you a liar or anything but i don't really know anyone on this forum and i was wondering how i know that the exhaust was borla 3" and not just the stock exh? i mean the torque and hp curves look elevated for a stock ws-6 but that doesn't have to be just exh. anyways i don't mean to be rude, thanks.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
    i don't mean to call you a liar or anything but i don't really know anyone on this forum and i was wondering how i know that the exhaust was borla 3" and not just the stock exh? i mean the torque and hp curves look elevated for a stock ws-6 but that doesn't have to be just exh. anyways i don't mean to be rude, thanks.
    well, first off, i do not have a WS6. it says right under my board name what cars i have.

second. this is the internet. you will never be able to tell if someone is lying. you can do a google search for my screen name and find me on about 20+ message boards for the last, oh i don't know, six years, or so.

now that we have that taken care of, here's the website i did for the wife's car. http://www.stealthram.com/1999pontiacformula.html

never did a dyno run completely stock. put the borla on right as soon as we bought it. look on the timeslips page. you'll see every mod done to her car and the results.

at the time of the borla vs bassani swap, the car had lid, filter, VHP MAF ends, vinci/crane 1.8 accelerated lift rockers, VHP ported heads, stock cam, bassani headers, and no cats.

Red
    1993 firebird transam

true duals will make more power on any balance engine except the 4.3L v6 i lost like 15rwhp with true duals on it LOL but the 93 ta gained about 15 with a magnaflow universal x-pipe and high flow cats with no mufflers, got the stainless 4 inch magnaflow tips to just to make her look purdy

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

This thread is over 3 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information