Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

best f-body street legal exhaust setup?

I want to buy a full exhaust system(headers, cats, exhaust, etc) but its my daily driver so I need it to have good clearance while passing smog. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best setup
    Last edited by StylesMcKnob; 05-03-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

All depends on the laws where you are.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

I'm stationed in California for another 4 months then its back to Texas - thank god

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by StylesMcKnob View Post
    I want to buy a full exhaust system(headers, cats, exhaust, etc) but its my daily driver so I need it to have good clearance while passing smog. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best setup
    What are you looking to spend?

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    What are you looking to spend?
    I'm in the military so I dont get paid much but I dont want to cut corners. If I have to wait a little longer/spend a little more to get something better I will. It dosent have to be the super top of the line though

black
    2000 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by StylesMcKnob View Post
    I'm in the military so I dont get paid much but I dont want to cut corners. If I have to wait a little longer/spend a little more to get something better I will. It dosent have to be the super top of the line though
    save. buy the good shit. you'll be happy you did down the road. trust me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

loud mouth or gmmc

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Passing a smog test is one thing but being street legal is another. Move the cats from there factory location and it is no longer legal but could still pass a smog test. You need to figure out exactely what you want to do.

Headers: Kooks stainless steel long tubes with stainless y-pipe and high flow cats.
    Catback: Its up to you and your sound preference. I went with Corsa because it is super quiet while cruising...no annoying interior drone/resonance.

With this setup my car sounds like an animal at WOT but I am still able to listen to the radio or talk to passengers on the highway.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I would go with a true dual exhaust system that goes over the axle and exits out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location and use straight through, noise cancelling mufflers. That way you get straight through power without the loud sound. You just get a good, sweet, mellow tone.
    JEB

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

True-duals dumped before the axle w/ sweet thunder mufflers.

NBM
    1998Z28

The Dynatech Supermaxx system is what I have.You can look around and find them for $1295. It has 1 7/8 inch primarys,the good band clamps and the whole headers+catted Y are all stainless steel and have a thick ass flange where they bolt to the heads.I think it has the best ground clearance/fit of any system out there.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Passing a smog test is one thing but being street legal is another. Move the cats from there factory location and it is no longer legal but could still pass a smog test. You need to figure out exactely what you want to do.

Headers: Kooks stainless steel long tubes with stainless y-pipe and high flow cats.
    Catback: Its up to you and your sound preference. I went with Corsa because it is super quiet while cruising...no annoying interior drone/resonance.

With this setup my car sounds like an animal at WOT but I am still able to listen to the radio or talk to passengers on the highway.
    About it being illegal to move your cats from the factory position...is there really any way you can get caught without cats (on a true dual system for instance). Exactly what kind of trouble could someone get in not having any cats at all?

Well for one thing, you won't pass a smog inspection if you have those in your area. They will flash a mirror under the car looking for the cats,,,no cats, then your car gets flunked without even making it to the sniffer test.

I don't have e-checks where I live so it's never been a concern, just depends on where you live and what regulations they have in place. Some are more stringent than others.

As far as cat backs, some of the smaller ones I like are SLP Loud Mouth,,,GMMG is nice,,,,there is a true dual system offered that goes all the way to the back bumper,,,it's a nice system as well but the name escapes me, someone I am sure will chime in,,,,it's popular and quite a few use it.
    One of my favorites that you never see mentioned here unless I talk about it,,,,,is the mufflex system with 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch,,,and of course my favorite,,,,4 inch piping Great sounding system.
    It really comes down to sound preferences,,,and everyone is different in that respect. Larry.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

Is there a way to get true duals while running cats/passing smog? If so what are some setups? Remember this is for a daily driver so I dont want it to have 1/2 inch of clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well for one thing, you won't pass a smog inspection if you have those in your area. They will flash a mirror under the car looking for the cats,,,no cats, then your car gets flunked without even making it to the sniffer test.

I don't have e-checks where I live so it's never been a concern, just depends on where you live and what regulations they have in place. Some are more stringent than others.

As far as cat backs, some of the smaller ones I like are SLP Loud Mouth,,,GMMG is nice,,,,there is a true dual system offered that goes all the way to the back bumper,,,it's a nice system as well but the name escapes me, someone I am sure will chime in,,,,it's popular and quite a few use it.
    One of my favorites that you never see mentioned here unless I talk about it,,,,,is the mufflex system with 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch,,,and of course my favorite,,,,4 inch piping Great sounding system.
    It really comes down to sound preferences,,,and everyone is different in that respect. Larry.

bassani

Yes thats it. Thank you. Bassani makes a nice true dual exhaust system that goes over the axle and to the rear bumpers. It's stainless and from what I have seen on other cars with this system installed, fit and finish is very nice.
    It's up there in price, but you get what you pay for. If you do a search for Bassani you may find some nice pics of the system. Hope that helps. Larry.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The Bassani system is great. I HIGHLY recommend it. Best money I've spent so far on the car. Great sound, great power. Cost was a bit high ($779 shipped), but you get mandrell bent 2.5" true duals (ready to assemble, no exhaust shop needed). Check these out:

Pictures and performance information: http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm

Thread from another site with pictures, sound clips, and a writeup: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494790

Video/sound clip with stock cam: http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...ssanisound.wmv

The Bassani setup yields about 15 more rwhp than a catback, and you can keep your stock manifolds and cats, keeping you legal. The interior noise is about the same as stock, and it isn't much louder overall outside the car. It just sounds a little lower in tone.

The cost caused me to shy away at first. I justified spending $779 for the Bassani gains by comparing it to what most people get from headers AND a full catback system. I decided to go ahead and buy coated Pacesetter headers a week later. I was not impressed by the headers nearly as much as the Bassanis. I'm sure I'll see more gains when I get everything tuned in though...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Pictures and performance information: http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm
    my black car

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Video/sound clip with stock cam: http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...ssanisound.wmv
    isn't much louder overall outside the car. It just sounds a little lower in tone.
    the wife's white car.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

how would you like to hear it?

the wife's car

stock cam

with vinci 062 cam
    rev in park

idle in park

idle in drive

my car
    stock manifolds w/with cats

going down the track on the juice

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

So basically Duals are better than a Y-Pipe & Catback combo since I can still use my cats, create more power, and pass smog?

Thread Information