Thread: Bbk ssi

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Bbk ssi

If I were to get this manifold right now would I have to get the car pulled and retuned?

What would happen if I didn't get it pulled?

My ls6 intake is taking a shit on me. What would be the best to replace it AND not have to get then engine tuned?
    Last edited by Hot head; 04-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

whats wrong with your LS6 intake? is it cracked or something?

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    whats wrong with your LS6 intake? is it cracked or something?
    Yes I believe its like a hair line crack. Subtle but rouph enouph idle to faintly notice it. Need perfection.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

OK great I need help in which to get
    you guys are

bbk ssi- Heat soaks but does it give you more hp and gains over ls6 intake?
    is it bolt on and no tune?

fast- Usually needs a tune because it will run tooooo lean

holley- have to fuss around with a dipstick or something.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

the fast 102 is gonna be real big for stock heads and cam. for the cost and if you arent planning other engine mods, at least for a while i would go with the BBK

Red
    1998 Trans Am

I just installed a BBK SSI intake. So far it is running fine with no codes. I do plan on getting a tune in the future. My car currently has a lid, BBK SSI intake, and a Hooker catback. Other than that is it completely stock and runs great. Looks good too.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

That does look real nice. Ive never seen one installed. Did you notice a difference even without the tune?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

get headers then the tune. you should be ok for a little while untuned but with headers youll definitly want a tune.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

That does look real nice. Ive never seen one installed. Did you notice a difference even without the tune?
    Didn't notice a difference during day to day driving, but when you get your foot into it definately runs through the whole rpm range much more smoothly. Feels like it has more pull from about 2500 up. I like it.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Nice. and for the price thats not bad. Probably a little bit of an increase in tq to get thes heavy pigs up and moving

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

get headers then the tune. you should be ok for a little while untuned but with headers youll definitly want a tune.
    But having a bbk ssi without a tune is ok? it wont lean the engine out to much?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

probably. you MAF should be able to adjust enough for it. You wont get the most power gain possible. But you arent messing with trasfer functions like you are when you install headers.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

probably. you MAF should be able to adjust enough for it. You wont get the most power gain possible. But you arent messing with trasfer functions like you are when you install headers.
    So pretty much it will just help it breath better without a tune and it will not lean the engine out to much but to get the full 10-15 hp you need a tune.

Do I have this right?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes. It may be a little leaner at WOT than normal but still around a 12.5 or so AFR i would think

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    Didn't notice a difference during day to day driving, but when you get your foot into it definately runs through the whole rpm range much more smoothly. Feels like it has more pull from about 2500 up. I like it.
    That goes hand in hand with the ls1 making hp at higher RPMS and not at lower RPMS.

Yes. It may be a little leaner at WOT than normal but still around a 12.5 or so AFR i would think

Would running leaner at WOT be a pro or a con for this type of engine doesn't it run lean already?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

It shouldnt run lean already... You'll know if it gets lean. Just stand on the gas and if it feels like it just falls on it's face up top you're leaning out to much. My fuel filter was so bad at about 5000rpm you could feel yourself kinda go forward in the seat a little, like you took your foot off the gas. A 12.5 afr at WOT is still safe. When cruising it should still be around 14.7. I see no reason why your MAF wouldnt throw more fuel at it. The tune will help but for the time being you should be ok.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

You shouldn't have any problems. The only time I have heard of bolt on stuff making an engine run too lean, is when a buddy of mine who put an aftermarket MAF on his TA and it was setting off the CE light with lean codes. That little resister causes all sorts of problems. Anyway the intake shoudl cause you know problems what so ever. Install is very smooth and sits nicely. Just make sure that you use a little loct tite on the little bolts that go in the bottom cover on the intake.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

It shouldnt run lean already... You'll know if it gets lean. Just stand on the gas and if it feels like it just falls on it's face up top you're leaning out to much. My fuel filter was so bad at about 5000rpm you could feel yourself kinda go forward in the seat a little, like you took your foot off the gas. A 12.5 afr at WOT is still safe. When cruising it should still be around 14.7. I see no reason why your MAF wouldnt throw more fuel at it. The tune will help but for the time being you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    You shouldn't have any problems. The only time I have heard of bolt on stuff making an engine run too lean, is when a buddy of mine who put an aftermarket MAF on his TA and it was setting off the CE light with lean codes. That little resister causes all sorts of problems. Anyway the intake shoudl cause you know problems what so ever. Install is very smooth and sits nicely. Just make sure that you use a little loct tite on the little bolts that go in the bottom cover on the intake.

Thread Information