SleeperZ28

Anyone with Long Tube Headers in NY?

I'm looking to install a set of either 3/4 or long tube headers on my 2001 Z28, but I need to be emissions legal. I saw two guys install a set of what i think are Edelbrock 3/4 headers on a LS1 on TV and they hooked right up to everything with a little modification to the head pipe and kept all the emissions related stuff. But I kinda want long tube/full length headers. A friend of mine had Hooker long tubes on his 2000 Z28 with O2 sims and no cats and a ORY and I don't remember it throwing any touble codes. However he didn't keep the car long enough to have it re-inspected after the header install so I don't know if that would have passed. I have heard it can be hard to get F-Bodies to pass with headers, and the only Headers I've seen so far with a catted y-pipe are @ 1300 dollars. Shorties are not a options because I've been told by several people that they are nominally better than the exhaust manifolds on my car and the cost/power gain is not worth it. I imagine that a decent exhaust shop could fab me up a y-pipe with cats, and weld in O2 sensor bungs, but will that be enough to pass a NYS inspection. I don't "technically" have to worry about emissions, just having a setup that satifies the computer and the inspector. NYS doesn't dyno or sniffer test 1996 or later cars anymore, they hook up directly to the computer, and run a check from there. Will, Long Tubes, with O2 sensors, and a catted y-pipe set of any trouble codes, and do any Long tubes come with the provisions for the air valves that hook up to the manifolds. I don't want to go through all the trouble of removig the EGR setup and having the computer programed to have those codes deleted. I just want a factory style setup with headers. Any thoughts, comments, info would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by SleeperZ28; 03-08-2006 at 04:56 AM.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

did you ever get an answer about this?? i have been wondering the same question.. id love to kno if we could pass with long tubes and sensors..

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

there are long tubes that come with all the stock EGR provisions, and if you have a catted y pipe your o2 sensors will display correct codes, so you'll pass a computer and sniffer inspection, but if they do a visual you will fail because longtubes are illegeal in all 50 states.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

there wont be a visual... just the scanner. what about the sensors that are in the headers??

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

No longtubes will pass inspection in NY, unless of course you know of a shop where you can throw the guy a few bucks to pass you. There are plenty of those in NY.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

why do they even bother with 02 sensor holes in the long tubes then??? wont it still shoot out the s.e.s light?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    why do they even bother with 02 sensor holes in the long tubes then??? wont it still shoot out the s.e.s light?
    No there are two sets of 02's two before the cats and two after. It is the rears that throw the codes if you get rid of the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00
    why do they even bother with 02 sensor holes in the long tubes then???
    Because most aftermarket manufacturers are aware ahead of time that most tuners need these bungs pre-installed. Either for aftermarket gauges, or for tuning with a wide-band (the hotter the sensor, the better). As for longtubes not being street legal, it's mainly because the aftermarket doesn't want to pay millions of dollars to get their item(s) EPA approved (even though they will pass flawlessly, the EPA still demands a profit). To those in the know, the EPA is a giant money making scam....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    Because your car wont run without them.

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

I have Edelbrock LTs on my car, no problems with emissions, never thrown any codes, all your emissions hook up into the header and I have no sims in my exhaust. The LTs run to an ORY, like I said, no problems with emissions and that's in Ohio.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    I have Edelbrock LTs on my car, no problems with emissions, never thrown any codes, all your emissions hook up into the header and I have no sims in my exhaust. The LTs run to an ORY, like I said, no problems with emissions and that's in Ohio.

There is no way you are running no cats and not throwing codes for the rear 02's unless you have simms or had the codes tuned out. Edit you have a 94'. No OBDII.

red
    2000 camaro

I never heard of long tubes being illegal.If you have the cats and 02 sensors why would it be illegal.
    I want to put lts on but if it is true then I will not waste my money.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by carnutt View Post
    I never heard of long tubes being illegal.If you have the cats and 02 sensors why would it be illegal.
    I want to put lts on but if it is true then I will not waste my money.
    Federal Emissions laws state you cannot relocate the cats from their original location. Long tubes move the cats further downstream making them technically illegal in all 50 states. Any state that does a visual inspection will fail you if they know what they're looking for.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

wont it still throw out the ses light anyway??

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Thread Information