Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone HYDROLOCKED there LS1 F-BODY?

This is a discussion on Anyone HYDROLOCKED there LS1 F-BODY? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i hear everyone talking about hydrolock but no one has said what it does to your engine or why it ...

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

i hear everyone talking about hydrolock but no one has said what it does to your engine or why it happens. can anyone please explain?

It happens when you fill a cylinder with water. Usually through the intake track but in Crash's case,,,,he had rain water sitting on the intake from a cowl leak,,,,which in turn leaked past one of the injector seals and dripped right into a cylinder.

Then when you crank the motor over, the piston quenches this water to the point of destruction. Usually bends a rod,,,,or worse.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I think my story fits. but maybe im wrong hmmmmmmmm

when it happens to you, it will be what we are talking about, doom is just trying to pass the word. had i known people have had that issue, i would have replaced the injector o-rings when i did my intake swap. so take it or leave it
    I was talking about hydrolock from SSRA, fast toys, SLP and free ram air mod! I am not worried about it!
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    If anything the WS6 with those huge nostrils would be the most likely problem, then the SS hood. but the lid is facing down water would have to be completely sealed in there for it to defy gravity and get sucked past the filter. If this were a bigger concern it would be talked about alot more than it is on here.
    I drove in moderate rain yesterday but, kept my speed down to 60mph and didn't have a problem at all. I'll monitor the situation when I drive in rain more and hopefully will be able to tell I have no problems with it.

Knocking on wood.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

i hydrolocked mine.

coming home from work there are like dips in the road that i had driven through countless times (an yes, i have the slp flow package bs that has the underneith ram air and all.) well it had rained more than usually, and i could see that so i even went into the oncoming lane (it is a small backroad not heavily traveled) where it didnt look as deep, doing NO MORE than 10 mph because even on a dry day my car will drag in the dip. soon as i almost through it hell broke loose lol. sitting in the rain for an hour waiting on a tow truck SUCKS.

snapped a rod and threw it through the side of the block. i have pics on my home computer ill post tonight.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    I drove in moderate rain yesterday but, kept my speed down to 60mph and didn't have a problem at all. I'll monitor the situation when I drive in rain more and hopefully will be able to tell I have no problems with it.

Knocking on wood.
    im debaffled, and have a 100% functional lt1 style air box from suncoast creation..i DD my car all year..through michigan snow and rain...no issue.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    im debaffled, and have a 100% functional lt1 style air box from suncoast creation..i DD my car all year..through michigan snow and rain...no issue.
    Yeah Shaddy, I am just cautious about driving fast. Debaffling it scarred me a bit but, I'm sure it will be fine as long as I don't drive real fast with it. 60mph good with yours or do you drive a bit slower?

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    i hydrolocked mine.

coming home from work there are like dips in the road that i had driven through countless times (an yes, i have the slp flow package bs that has the underneith ram air and all.) well it had rained more than usually, and i could see that so i even went into the oncoming lane (it is a small backroad not heavily traveled) where it didnt look as deep, doing NO MORE than 10 mph because even on a dry day my car will drag in the dip. soon as i almost through it hell broke loose lol. sitting in the rain for an hour waiting on a tow truck SUCKS.

snapped a rod and threw it through the side of the block. i have pics on my home computer ill post tonight.
    Very sorry to hear that. Do you think it was from water splashing from your tires? OR do you think the front air dam scooped it up sort of like a snow plow? Just curious, any info will be helpful.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    Very sorry to hear that. Do you think it was from water splashing from your tires? OR do you think the front air dam scooped it up sort of like a snow plow? Just curious, any info will be helpful.
    definatly the scoop. i wasnt going fast enough for it to splash.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Yeah Shaddy, I am just cautious about driving fast. Debaffling it scarred me a bit but, I'm sure it will be fine as long as I don't drive real fast with it. 60mph good with yours or do you drive a bit slower?
    well depending on the situation...in winter i dont/cant go past 40..but when its raining i just drive a little cautious ..but normal driving for the most part

definatly the scoop. i wasnt going fast enough for it to splash.
    Ya your car appears to be lowered too which makes this problem even more pronounced. 10 mph is still too fast in my opinion to be going through deep water. Even still, water that appears to be deep I won't even cross in a 4th gen anyway.
    Look at the bright side, now you have the excuse to upgrade

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya your car appears to be lowered too which makes this problem even more pronounced. 10 mph is still too fast in my opinion to be going through deep water. Even still, water that appears to be deep I won't even cross in a 4th gen anyway.
    it is lol. not even a fuckin week after i had lowered it too. LS6 swap with ASA racing cam and kooks longtubes, im not bitchin about it tho

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I have the k&n fipk2 and my ram air so you could actually see my filter through the scoops on the hood. and i just stay away from driving in the rain. if it starts sprinkling i pull over and wait for it to pass. but last time it had already rained and the road was dry except for one small puddle, i'd say about 2x3 feet big, and i went over it with my right front tire at about 15mph. so after that my car bogged a few times, so i pulled over and popped my hood i checked everything and revved iit up a few times and it was completely normal after that.

any ideas wtf might of caused this? a sensor near my right front wheel that caused it to bog down cuz it got wet? please help!

it is lol. not even a fuckin week after i had lowered it too. LS6 swap with ASA racing cam and kooks longtubes, im not bitchin about it tho
    Ya man that figures. Sounds like you have a plan of attack though

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Ya man that figures. Sounds like you have a plan of attack though
    oh its already up an runnin bro

98' trans am

i remember around my college..there was a 1 way that had a flooded part of the road..i stopped ...looked at it ..and it was like i mentally linked with my car and said f*ck that ..turned around to the nearest turn around and took a different way..our cars are not boats...so i dont even try to tread water
    Last edited by shady milkman; 05-27-2009 at 01:55 PM.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i remember around my college..there was a 1 way that had a flooded part of the road..i stopped ...looked at it ..and it was like i mentally linked with my car and said f*ck that ..turned around to the nearest turn around and took a different way..are cars are not boats...so i dont even try to tread water
    Are you sure

I stay way away from puddles now. after a hard rain, i unplug my coils just to make sure it doesnt happen again

98' trans am

Are you sure

Click for full size

I stay way away from puddles now. after a hard rain, i unplug my coils just to make sure it doesnt happen again
    ?? why your coils ???

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

?? why your coils ???
    So when i turn it over it wont fire. it will just either let all of the water out, or if it hydro locks it wont hurt anything since the starter doesnt have enough power. I only did this the first two times just to make sure it didnt leak. its all good now.

98' trans am

So when i turn it over it wont fire. it will just either let all of the water out, or if it hydro locks it wont hurt anything since the starter doesnt have enough power. I only did this the first two times just to make sure it didnt leak. its all good now.
    ohhhhhh..makes sense ..i want a ls3 418+ so i pray for hydrolock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information