Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up Anyone HYDROLOCKED there LS1 F-BODY?

Hey, I have the SLP cold air induction Lid and scoop but I have heard that people here have hydrolocked there LS1's even without the scoop. Please tell me your stories of hydrolock with or without cold air scoop and Lid. Also the SSRA scoop, which I just found out actually sticks out the bottom. What kind of puddle did you hit, big, small? Also how fast were you going? Any info will be much appreciated!
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

I hydrolocked mine with just the ram air mod done. I'll show you some pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2314443

Tell me if you can see those. Thats when I hydrolocked it and I was doing the engine swap for the new used LS1.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Yeah I saw the pics., What was the weather conditions or puddle like?

SOM
    2002 SS

Wow with just the free ram air mod? what filter were you using? i an imagine a cotton gauze (k&n) wouldn't help with water ingestion. I just did the free ram air mod and added a k&n now its starting to worry me. how big of a puddle was it? very heavy rain?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Since I took out my baffles and smoothed the ram air openings, I'm very cautious about rain.

I have driven it in rain but, only light rain. I'm in the middle of designing a slant, snap on deflector to carry in the car for situations like that though.

I have an MTI clear lid and K & N filter. I've even pulled over to wait for the rain to stop.

Hopefully, I'll have something rigged up soon though. I wig over shit like that.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

I still dont think it is that common. That is a long way for water to travel. Read the thread in the General help section about scoops or better yet i will copy and paste a quote from fast toys. Here is what they said " As other people have said, generally, rain and water is not a problem. The only time it is a problem is if you hit a very deep puddle (deep enough to immerse the bottom of the kit) at a high enough speed to force water vertically up the duck, overwhelm the air filter and get injected into the motor. It's very unlikely but "possible" so we advise customers of that in the advertisments and instructions." VERY UNLIKELY, I agree with them! I have the SLP kit and there is no way I will be immersing it in water. Even if I hit a huge puddle at any speed I cannot see it getting in there. Just look at the angles.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Since I took out my baffles and smoothed the ram air openings, I'm very cautious about rain.

I have driven it in rain but, only light rain. I'm in the middle of designing a slant, snap on deflector to carry in the car for situations like that though.

I have an MTI clear lid and K & N filter. I've even pulled over to wait for the rain to stop.

Hopefully, I'll have something rigged up soon though. I wig over shit like that.
    If anything the WS6 with those huge nostrils would be the most likely problem, then the SS hood. but the lid is facing down water would have to be completely sealed in there for it to defy gravity and get sucked past the filter. If this were a bigger concern it would be talked about alot more than it is on here.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

I dont know if it mattered but I was doing stop light burn outs since it wouldnt fuck with my tires then. And I was also doing donuts in a parking lot. It was pretty damn rainy and went into a pretty nice sized puddle.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

if you still want phone numbers I can provide them.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the Volant CAI on my 98 TA and cut the back of the hood up so when you look through the hood grills all you see is the twin filters and I was out in Houston a few weeks ago picking up my car after the 3.73 install and it was coming down and about 6 plus inches on the road and in my parking lot and I drove though it fine. If the wave of water came into the scoops that hay have hydrolocked it but not just some rain. I have a K&N on my trail blazer and have taken that truck though 6 to 8 inches. Never submerged the filter but i'm sure water splashed on it..
    As long as you have a good filter and it is oiled and not dryed out and beat up there should be no problem with some rain. My car goes out sometimes rain or shine and i take it down the highway at 70 to 80 and no water ever gets in. I also live by the rule if you modify it be ready to fix something because of it. I beat on my car though
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    if you still want phone numbers I can provide them.
    phone numbers to guys doing donuts in puddles, NO THANKS!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    phone numbers to guys doing donuts in puddles, NO THANKS!
    Nope. Not them. Two people that DD their bird/maro locally.

PM Dr. Crash as well

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

PM Dr. Crash as well
    I knew my ears were ringing.......

Anyway, A problem that i have seen a few members have as well as i had myself is the injector o-rings. With mine the water was pooling right by cyl # 4 injector (like it does for most) and just drained down into my cyl, then a big bang. here is the thread i started about it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108565

if you have any questions, just let me know

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

PM Dr. Crash as well
    Dr crashes problem is not what were talking about!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Believe me or not... its your car. Im just trying to prevent an accidental ls1 death

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Hey, I have the SLP cold air induction Lid and scoop but I have heard that people here have hydrolocked there LS1's even without the scoop. Please tell me your stories of hydrolock with or without cold air scoop and Lid. Also the SSRA scoop, which I just found out actually sticks out the bottom. What kind of puddle did you hit, big, small? Also how fast were you going? Any info will be much appreciated!
    Dr crashes problem is not what were talking about!
    I think my story fits. but maybe im wrong hmmmmmmmm

when it happens to you, it will be what we are talking about, doom is just trying to pass the word. had i known people have had that issue, i would have replaced the injector o-rings when i did my intake swap. so take it or leave it
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 05-21-2009 at 08:28 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I knew my ears were ringing.......

Anyway, A problem that i have seen a few members have as well as i had myself is the injector o-rings. With mine the water was pooling right by cyl # 4 injector (like it does for most) and just drained down into my cyl, then a big bang. here is the thread i started about it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108565

if you have any questions, just let me know
    x2..that shit just pools there by the injector #4..its a horrible design..i believe the water drains from the cowl meeting points..and falls on the intake manifold and drains right to #4...that is MUCH more of a problem area than the scoops etc..considering you really need to drive through a lake lol for it to cause those problems

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    x2..that shit just pools there by the injector #4..its a horrible design..i believe the water drains from the cowl meeting points..and falls on the intake manifold and drains right to #4...that is MUCH more of a problem area than the scoops etc..considering you really need to drive through a lake lol for it to cause those problems
    Ya and my car was just "sitting" in the rain for a few days. Happend on start up with no warning. Like shady said this is way more of an issue than the ram air. cuz it can happen with out warning

Ya I remember you talking about that one Crash. You know I still can't figure out how anyone is getting water to pool on top of the engine unless the rear cowl gasket is leaking???

I've had mine at the car wash several times since that last discussion and have taken high pressure water right to the cowl and all around the hood, even shot it right up the SS scoop,,,I can't get any water to lay on the motor???

As far as the water splashing up into the ram air mod under the air box??? Thats another freak thing that rarely happens. I've had this mod done on both of our SS's and have driven in some heavy rain without issues.
    I think what is happening is, people are driving through deep water in the road that they shouldn't be in the first place. On top of that, they are probably going at a pretty good speed to force water up in front of the air dam. But the force would have to be extreme for one,,,and the water would have to be at least a foot deep or more. A lowered car could be even more of an issue.
    Bottom line is,,,,no one should be driving a 4th gen though water like that to begin with. Leave that to the high clearance vehicles.

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

on my ws6 i did take out the baffles in it. after i first heard about hydrolock, i took it out on the road in the rain, never went over 55. when i got home i opened the hood and seen a bunch of water on the bottom of the airbox and the airfilter closest to the radiator, it was soaked. so i took a big piece of plastic to go right where the baffles were. so when it rains i can put them in or out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information