black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Anybody install a weiand intake?

I just installed my weiland intake today and when i went to turn it on, i heard a loud whine. The engine reved up to 2500 then died. Any idea with whats wrong? could it be someting with the valley (i heard someting about that) I didnt change anything in the valley but the cooland lines. Any ideas?

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

No idea man, I'm having the same problem. I looked online and it said to apply dope on the gaskets... I basically said "Screw that" cause I don't want it to get sucked into my motor.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Did we need to modify the valley pan any more than we did with the coolant lines? I cant imagine a random hose being disconnected would have caused our cars not to start... maybe we pinched someting in the back..

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

the intake didnt sit right before i lightly bolted it down.. what were those black circles with the cord in the valley? Knock or something? i let them be.. should i have or could i have disconnected them

^ Z28LS1, what part of New Jersey are you in....?

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

morristown area.. how far is that from old bridge? thats where you are right

Quote Originally Posted by Z28LS1
    morristown area.. how far is that from old bridge? thats where you are right....
    Yeah bro, it's honestly not that far when traffic is light. Spoke to a few buddies who are running that intake, and they strongly feel that they found the problem. Of course, it's a casting problem, but it can easily be resolved though....

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

casting problem? how do i reslove it then? but yeah my friend with a 2002 ss and i have been looking for a meet or a drive somewhere.. let me know if u guys do anything too

Quote Originally Posted by Z28LS1
    casting problem? how do i reslove it then? but yeah my friend with a 2002 ss and i have been looking for a meet or a drive somewhere.. let me know if u guys do anything too
    Most definitely. There are only two reasons why an engine will whine, or whistle like that, especially during certain RPM's. You'll need to swing by one day, or weekend, with that manifold already off of the engine though....

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Rob, you shoulda told me man...
    I just bought a bigger TB thinkin that would've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Rob, you shoulda told me man...
    I just bought a bigger TB thinkin that would've done it.
    Why did you buy another throttle body? The stock throttle body can support loads of rear wheel horsepower, and if the stock throttle body wasn't causing any noise with the stock intake, then it couldn't have been the stock throttle body. Don't get me wrong, it's always a benefit to step up to a larger diameter throttle body, but in this instance though, noise wise, it clearly wasn't the case. The noise is very common, sounds somewhat like a supercharger at idle, yes? It's not a vacuum leak, it's the intake manifold itself. Can easily be remedied....

-Gaspar

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28LS1 View Post
    what were those black circles with the cord in the valley?
    Knock sensors, let them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Why did you buy another throttle body? The stock throttle body can support loads of rear wheel horsepower, and if the stock throttle body wasn't causing any noise with the stock intake, then it couldn't have been the stock throttle body. Don't get me wrong, it's always a benefit to step up to a larger diameter throttle body, but in this instance though, noise wise, it clearly wasn't the case. The noise is very common, sounds somewhat like a supercharger at idle, yes? It's not a vacuum leak, it's the intake manifold itself. Can easily be remedied....

-Gaspar
    Two diff mechanics said the stock TB was to small and wasn't sealing the kneck of the intake completely. I also heard it might be carbon buildup causing my IAC to stick open alittle, so I cleaned that as well. Now I hardly hear it at all...just when I initially start it up, shut it down and sometimes at WOT. So how is this casting problem remedied?

Two diff mechanics said the stock TB was to small and wasn't sealing the kneck of the intake completely....
    On the contrary, what's causing the whistle is completely the opposite of what they're saying. It's a little something known as turbulence, and if it were the throttle body, that would mean that the throttle body's diameter is too big, not too small....

Now I hardly hear it at all....
    So what is the problem then?

-Gaspar

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    On the contrary, what's causing the whistle is completely the opposite of what they're saying. It's a little something known as turbulence, and if it were the throttle body, that would mean that the throttle body's diameter is too big, not too small....

So what is the problem then?

-Gaspar
    The diameter of the intake neck hole was to big they were saying. I hear the noise just not as bad...it's a loud whistle on start up, WOT, & always when I shut it down...

^ The shape of the orifice or entry to a conduit usually dictates the volume and velocities. Turbulence in the airflow stream normally creates whistling, and in this case, due to an improper casting design in the intake manifold (sharp edges, or when a much larger throttle body is being used on a smaller in diameter intake manifold). It needs to be port matched in many areas, which is why my cousin Rob wanted you to velocity port the intake manifold prior to installing it....

-Gaspar

Ive installed this particuliar intake 4 times...and 1 LS6. A whistle is a leak of some sort, but its prolly not a casting problem. It could be, of course, but every time I installed that fucker, it always snagged on something that didnt give it a flat, secure fit. A little play, more so than needed, and wha-la, bolted down fine.

I used gaskets and a little rtv sealent.

^ A manifold that is not seated properly would be much easier to detect after installation, through a proper vacuum test (which I believe Mike already had done, with the results being negative). The Weiand intake is notorious for being "squared" internally in very key area's from the factory, and where you have squared ports, you have whistling (similar to blowing on the orifice of a glass bottle, from an angle). The idea is to smooth it out, thus eliminating the turbulence....

-Gaspar

Thread Information