Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

any negatives with larger alternator?

This is a discussion on any negatives with larger alternator? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; its too common of an issue to be just some loose wires. Its said that somthing in the alt itself ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

its too common of an issue to be just some loose wires. Its said that somthing in the alt itself is the issue. Either way it cant hurt to get some extra juice and a better built oem alt then some over priced alt that sometimes doesnt even last as long as the stock unit to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    its too common of an issue to be just some loose wires. Its said that somthing in the alt itself is the issue. Either way it cant hurt to get some extra juice and a better built oem alt then some over priced alt that sometimes doesnt even last as long as the stock unit to begin with.
    Probably a faulty alternator if you don't have a problem with wires. The alternators are easy enough to diagnose if you have an ohm meter.
    Never heard of this being a common problem. I've had 4 4th gens and currently own 2,,,and I've never experienced it. Don't know, but I could easily see a charging issue out there since alot of these kids are installing larger stereos, high output lights, underdrive pulleys, or even a larger fuel pump with a hot wire kit that may go directly to the alternator, etc....
    Then I can see an upgraded alternator is in order.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-10-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Having more amps will def. be a good idea if going with the underdrive pulley. With the addition of a sound system, if you plan on it, it'll help keep those headlights from dimming when the bass hits!
    If you have an underdrive pulley, and you upgrade the alternator, do you lose any of the gains that the pulley provided? Or does the bigger alternator retain the same "gear ratio" on the belt as the stocker?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

You can change the pulley on the alt to accommodate. As far as the stock size that comes on it, I believe it's the same as the our stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    If you have an underdrive pulley, and you upgrade the alternator, do you lose any of the gains that the pulley provided? Or does the bigger alternator retain the same "gear ratio" on the belt as the stocker?
    Yes you lose the gains that the underdrive pulley provided,,,at least on the alternator side of things,,,as KM mentioned, they do make a smaller pulley for the alternator to compensate for the loss of voltage at slow speed.
    But by doing that,,,you are basically only underdriving the water pump at that point, and it starts to make the underdrive pulley not all that attractive if you ask me.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So the under drive pulley reduces parasitic loss by reducing power provided to the alternator and water pump? What about power steering? If you go with an electric water pump, is it best to just keep the stock pulley for the alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    So the under drive pulley reduces parasitic loss by reducing power provided to the alternator and water pump? What about power steering? If you go with an electric water pump, is it best to just keep the stock pulley for the alternator?
    Ah yes,,,and the power steering (brain fart) That's what I get for driving all these cars without it.

You lose parasitic drive losses with the underdrive pulley by turning everything at a slower rate. That slower rate or less revolutions per engine revolution is where you see the HP gains.

Electric water pumps will take that out of the equation entirely. It's up to you if you want to keep the stock alternator pulley or not. I would base that on whether you run aftermarket stereo equipment, high output lighting, larger fuel pumps or a booster pump/hotwire kit etc....
    With an electric water pump, and a smaller alternator pulley to compensate for the slower turning underdrive pulley, the only thing you'll be underdriving at that point is the power steering pump. I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth all that trouble and money

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

And depending which electric water pump you get. Some still have a pulley on them which can still cause a minor amout of drag. So the water pump isn't 100% out of the equation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information