any good muffler shops in nw az?

about to get some headers on my 99 formula. when I asked the local muffler shop about doing a exhaust he responded by saying "the stock one flows well you get the biggest bang out of a muffler. I decided to get a lm2 and put it on with a friend. I don't want him to charge a arm and leg to do the exhaust once I get my lts. has anyone had a good experience in vegas or anywhere close. I live a 100 miles from vegas by lake havasu city/ bullhead az. also since there is no emissions in my county can the shop remove cats or is it at the shops discretion. the same shop said he wont touch cats at all.

The stock exhaust is a restriction, unless you have the optional SLP setup that came on SS camaro's and Firehawks. That's 3" I-pipe and 2 1/2" tailpipes with a freeflowing welded case muffler.

Otherwise you are looking at a stock setup with 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" I-pipe that splits into 2 1/4" tail pipes. So there is gain to be made with a nice 3" catback system.

No muffler shop will touch the cats, and even mentioning it makes them run and hide. What you'll need to do is get an off road Y-pipe of your choice. They are made specifically to bolt on between long tube headers and your current catback system. They run in the $150 range and are a breeze to install. I'd suggest getting one when you purchase your headers and install it all in one shot. This is something you'll have to do on your own however, because a muffler shop won't touch that off road Y-pipe

I have neither the slp or firehawk. I see that the ory says 98-99 require cutting welding. whats the diiference on those years and what has to be cut or welded. I was looking at the obx headers with catted y but wanted to have a dual with side exit or dumped. is a td exhaust that much better than a ory power wise.

A real dual exhaust system is spendy. For what you are doing a nice 3" catback will work just fine. Since you already installed the loud mouth II system I'd just leave it be for now.

As far as dual cutouts, Pypes makes the Y-pipes with dual cutouts (last time I checked) and possibly a few other companies. With these open, you would have your dual exhaust (and a cheap way to get it ) and when closed, the single 3" catback keeps things relatively quiet.

So that's one option. It's all personal preference really, how much you want to spend, and the end result you are looking for.

I haven't heard about any differences for Y-pipes on the 98-99 models.

Thread Information