Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any downside to duals dumped before the axle?

This is a discussion on Any downside to duals dumped before the axle? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Referring to your last paragraph,,,going under the axle is not a good idea,,,,when it comes time ...

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Referring to your last paragraph,,,going under the axle is not a good idea,,,,when it comes time for any rearend work, dropping the gas tank etc....this will cause major issues,,,and also major ground clearance problems,,,even more so than you have now.

Your exhaust would have to hang under the axle tubes pretty far to allow the rearend to move freely,,,,this will look Horrifying from behind. Reminds me of beater pieces of junk running around that people can't afford exhaust for or the car just isn't worth it,,,so they wire tie up a bunch of flex pipe from the local auto chain store and run it under the rearend

On a more serious note though,,,,if you are considering the 4 inch mufflex system (you mentioned 4 inch piping) I love this system,,,,too bad it's not mentioned much here,,,,it's very effective,,,I have personally seen a handfull of street driven 10 second F-bodies naturally asperated running through this system,,,,,,it works. It would be my first choice for a serious street thumper.

Buddy of mine has a 96 LT1 with a lingenfelter 355/6 speed with the mufflex 4 inch system and flowmaster muffler,,,on drag radials and spinning like mad it runs easy 11.60's at 119 mph. There is more in the car but what is really cool is seeing this massive sewer pipe when you look under the car,,,and when he fires this thing up in the middle of 500 other cars at a local cruise in,,,,people jump up and look around. It has a sound all it's own.

With all the single pipe cat back systems I have tried as well as this guy,,,over the years,,,it's the only system that actually made an improvement in ET and mph over the other single style systems and muffler combos. We would love to see how the Bassani true dual system compares to this 4 inch single mufflex system,,,,but can't get over the cost from an exhaust comparison standpoint. I would hate to spend a grand on Bassani and not pick anything up with the car at the track over the mufflex system,,,,but then again I hate to think what I have spent on exhaust over the last few years trying different stuff,,,,it would have paid for a Bassani setup 4 times over,,,,yikes.

does the 4 inch pipe have a deeper, more lobe producing sound? I would think that the single 4 inch pipe would be more restrictive than what I have now, which is either 3" or 3.5" I'm not sure.. either one its still at least 2 inches less in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    does the 4 inch pipe have a deeper, more lobe producing sound? I would think that the single 4 inch pipe would be more restrictive than what I have now, which is either 3" or 3.5" I'm not sure.. either one its still at least 2 inches less in diameter.
    Well it depends on what you compare it to. The single 4 inch system sounds like no other,,,I couldn't tell any difference in sound between that or a dual exhaust system car sitting next to it.

The 4 inch piping give it a unique sound,,,along with a case muffler of that size, it just sounds great.

As far as flow comparisons,,,,are you comparing to other single cat backs?

If so I can answer that,,,,we have tried tons of 3 inch cat backs including Edelbrock, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Spintech, SLP loud mouth 1 and 2, etc......and the car ran identical times with these systems. It wasn't until we stepped up to the Mufflex 4 inch system when we saw improvements,,,mostly due to the pipe size I would assume,,,using a Flowmaster 4 inch muffler the car picked up 2 tenths and 3 mph with no other changes.

Keep in mind this was back before Bassani came out with their true dual setup.

Now if you want to compare this Mufflex system to a real dual system,,,then we are kinda comparing apples to oranges when it comes to flow characteristics. You are running 2 pipes instead of one. Even a small dual 2 1/2 inch system would have more surface area than a single 4 inch pipe,,,,,so I would assume you may see better results.

I would like to test this theory by installing the Bassani system on the car, but can't get past the price tag just for a comparison.

Now if you want to step up to a 3 inch dual system and dump it in front of the rearend,,,,,again you are talking about a huge advantage with dual pipes. I would have to say it would be a performance advantage but then you are crossing that line in my opinion,,,,dumping exhaust in front of the rearend has many disadvantages in my opinion that I already stated,,,,,So I have to make a decision,,,do I really want to sacrafice the comfort and lose ground clearance, just to see if I can squeaze another tenth out of the car?
    My answer to that is a big fat NO. I would rather squeaze all I can from the car and have a fully functional exhaust system out the rear of the car.

Another case in point that kinda falls into this catagory,,,my 72 SS 454 chevelle runs 11.40's at 118 mph. I do that with a full exhaust system to the bumper,,,,although these cars had factory dual systems so keep that in mind. I did have it dumped in front of the rearend at one time,,,before I finished the system with tailpipes,,,the car runs no different either way,,,but is much more liveable on the street with tailpipes. Not to mention it really hides the true potential of this car,,,,keeping the stock look with tailpipes and all. Without going into a book on this car,,,as I have owned it for the last 25 years,,,,I have had more exhaust systems than I care to mention,,,currently using Torque Tech mandrel piping, 3 inch diameter with a Dr. Gas X pipe and Flowmaster super 40's has been the best system to date on the car as far as ET and MPH.

I tend to lean towards a full system not just because the noise is more tollerable,,,but I also like the street sleeper look, with stock looking tailpipes,,,,thats just me though. To each their own.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    I think they look cool and sound awesome but once again im just a young punk with no kids or a wife and complete disreguard for the law when it comes to loud exhaust.
    +1 nice avatar by the way, thats a badss movie

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

thanks man. Great movie. Anyone that hasnt watched it needs to

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Its a major decision... Thanks for your input, but I still don't know what to do. I think I will go with duals over the axle, even though they have to squeeze it. You made a good point, a dumped exhaust system blows any chance of your car being a sleeper. Sleepers are the most fun!

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

I went with true duals because I hate seeing a big ass muffler hanging under the rear end. My TSP TDs have excellent clearance, and can just barely be seen from behind the car.

And as far as I'm concerned, Camaros weren't designed to have tail pipes sticking under the bumper, which is why the bumper has no curves to accomodate them like the TransAm. Shit just looks nasty under the bumper IMO.

Artic White
    2002 Z28

I got my true duals with single chamber flows and I will NEVER go back to a catback system. My car is my DD and I love the way it sounds. As far as looking ghetto or whatever I dont think it does at all. My system is tucked up nice and clena and painted black so you can barely see it to begin with. I have yet to scrape or bottom out and my car is lowered. T/A or Camaro I think both look fine with Dumps, you just have to get it done right. And if you do get it dumped and then wnt to go out the back just add to the dumps, no big deal just whatever you want

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    and painted black so you can barely see it to begin with.

Ahhh, you shouldn't have said that, cause I might copy!!! What type of paint did you use, 1200 degree engine block?

Artic White
    2002 Z28

yes. Any high temp paint should work

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Thanks for the idea, I'm gonna run with it!

White
    1998 TA

Here's a clip of a dumped setup. I think it sounds like a truck running down the road. You be the judge.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...e5000ece70.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information