another intake vs intake thread

This is a discussion on another intake vs intake thread within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am looking to finish up my bolt ons. Just about the only thing left is the TB and the ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

another intake vs intake thread

I am looking to finish up my bolt ons. Just about the only thing left is the TB and the Intake. I can get a used ls6 intake for $200 and I have a ported TB on the way(I only paid for the work) or should I just go all out and get a FAST 92 with a 92 TB also?- I can get a new FAST 92 intake for $850. With just a bolt on car is the 92 just overkill, or will I see any gains over it at all vs the ls6 intake and Ported TB? I am looking to go with a N20 set up later, after a rebuild with a N20 cam later on.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

For just bolt ons the LS6 is the way to go. Cam and heads is where you will see gains from a fast 92/92 setup.

Red
    2000 ws6

I'm looking at a SLP LS6 intake for my 2000 WS6 that should complement the Pacesetter LT with the 3" y pipe that I just installed. Question, should I go with a larger throtle body or is the stock one OK. The car is my dailey driver and I don't plan to go deeper into the motor.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by wagxing View Post
    I'm looking at a SLP LS6 intake for my 2000 WS6 that should complement the Pacesetter LT with the 3" y pipe that I just installed. Question, should I go with a larger throtle body or is the stock one OK. The car is my dailey driver and I don't plan to go deeper into the motor.

Port your stock one. Heres an excellent write up...http://www.geocities.com/wilwaxu/throttlebody.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

For a bolt on car, the LS6 intake and a ported stock throttle body will be sufficient. Once you change the heads and cam, it is definitely worthwhile to step up to a FAST 90 or 92 mm combo. The beauty of the LS6 intake (and similar models) is that you can pick one up used for a nice price and if you ever decide to go bigger, you will likely get your money out of it later.

I just pulled my Weiand Lingenfelter intake and Vengeance ported stock throttle body off of my car and swapped for a FAST 92 combo. I'll post up some pics and will list them "for sale" in the next couple of days if you're interested, however if you can pick up a LS6 intake in good shape for $200.00, that's a steal of a deal and you should take it!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    however if you can pick up a LS6 intake in good shape for $200.00, that's a steal of a deal and you should take it!
    No doubt. They fetch $300-$350 all day long, usually...

My setup consists of home ported stock throttle body, LS6 intake, and "baby" 226 cam, and most all bolt-ons. At 3755# with me in it, it has run 11.67@115 and has absolutely no trouble revving (and making power) to 6700 rpm's...

Personally, before I spent an additional $900 or so above what I bought the LS6 intake for, I'd use that cash for a nitrous setup. The horsepower gains between nitrous and a FAST setup aren't even in the same league IMHO...I "may" run somewhere in the low 11's with an intake swap, but I'll run in the 10's EASILY, with a 100 shot or so. Same money, very different results.

2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, Rear mount Turbo, etc...
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

Thread Information