Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another exhaust thread: loud/deep exhaust?

This is a discussion on Another exhaust thread: loud/deep exhaust? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; TACE02...

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

TACE02

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post

Really, cause I get compliments all the time on mine too ...That's right, single chamber flowmaster mufflers in my dumped td's with h-pipe, that only sound good on Mustangs of course...Kinda funny how I got many compliments on the sound at the All Firebird show in Saratoga Springs, NY this past weekend? You know, 140 cars from all generations of Firebirds and T/A's that loved the sound. We even passed a couple of guys on the way home, and then ended up seeing them at a gas station up the road. First thing out of their mouths was "damn that car sounds good!"

I often wonder why people think that their opinion is the only one that matters and it never ceases to amaze me when they can't grasp the simple concept that an opinion is just that; An opinion. Have I reiterated the word opinion enough?

Just stated my opinion and no shit sherlock, its my personal opinion and it only counts to me, but in this free country I can say my opinion. I don't have to keep my mouth shut. It amazes me when even people who talk about others opinions go the distance to state their opinion on others opinions, much like a "pot calling the kettle black".

Now I will reiterate my personal opinion, I personally have not heard an F-Body that sounded good with flow masters, I guess it is possible, all depends on setup. The only ones "I" have ever heard made the LS1 sound like a raspy V6. But that same series Flowmaster on a Mustang V8 makes a completely different sound that is more intense and sounds meaner.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    TACE02

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Just stated my opinion and no shit sherlock, its my personal opinion and it only counts to me, but in this free country I can say my opinion. I don't have to keep my mouth shut. It amazes me when even people who talk about others opinions go the distance to state their opinion on others opinions, much like a "pot calling the kettle black".

Now I will reiterate my personal opinion, I personally have not heard an F-Body that sounded good with flow masters, I guess it is possible, all depends on setup. The only ones "I" have ever heard made the LS1 sound like a raspy V6. But that same series Flowmaster on a Mustang V8 makes a completely different sound that is more intense and sounds meaner.
    No no no! I was never implying that you shut up, nor was I stating my opinion on my exhasut setup. I was merely saying that just because you only like the way it sounds on Mustangs doesn't mean that they in fact, only sound good on Mustangs. And what "rasp" are you talking about? I would define a raspy exhaust with the likes of Borla, dynomax bullets, or slp lm with lt's...Kind of a tinny sound, but my setup is pretty throaty (I have an h-pipe). Having dumps makes it pretty damn loud though.

Brilliant Red
    98 Camaro Z28

Just cut the exhaust off about 8 inches behind the muffler and dump it downwards. I just did this to mine, and hough relatively stock, it sounds great! Sounds deep and throaty when driving around normally, but when you get on her, it roars! Plus it's free (if you have a sawzall), saves weight, and doesn't hurt flow as far as backpressure. Just my opinion.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    I have Magnaflow with LTs. Don't get me wrong, the sound is smooth and deep and sounds great when you drive hard... but it is still relatively quiet even with headers.

It is a nice stainless system and the price cannot be beat, but be prepared for sound that is really no louder than stock. Until the muffler got broken in it was much quieter than stock.
    what do you mean by the muffler broken in? I didnt know muffler has a break in period

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    what do you mean by the muffler broken in? I didnt know muffler has a break in period
    The bearings have to seat.

I have noticed that a muffler changes tone a bit after time. It isn't 'breaking in' really, just getting use. Carbon deposits.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The bearings have to seat.

I have noticed that a muffler changes tone a bit after time. It isn't 'breaking in' really, just getting use. Carbon deposits.
    Some hillbilly exhasut shop owner told me that some mufflers change tone due to packing being blown out....??? Sounds like a reasonable answer.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Some hillbilly exhasut shop owner told me that some mufflers change tone due to packing being blown out....??? Sounds like a reasonable answer.
    I suppose that could be.

That would seem like you got a pretty shitty muffler though.
    Granted, I am no muffler expert.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post

Yea, ditto what Mr. Luos said. It did get a bit louder after a few weeks of driving... not sure exactly why but it did.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Yea, ditto what Mr. Luos said. It did get a bit louder after a few weeks of driving... not sure exactly why but it did.
    mine to.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

No no no! I was never implying that you shut up, nor was I stating my opinion on my exhasut setup. I was merely saying that just because you only like the way it sounds on Mustangs doesn't mean that they in fact, only sound good on Mustangs. And what "rasp" are you talking about? I would define a raspy exhaust with the likes of Borla, dynomax bullets, or slp lm with lt's...Kind of a tinny sound, but my setup is pretty throaty (I have an h-pipe). Having dumps makes it pretty damn loud though.
    just messin with ya. but yeah the only flowmaster setup I have heard was on LTs with Y-pipe and it was raspy as hell just like SLPs LM. I personally prefer the throaty rumble myself.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

just my opinion but i would stay away from borla cat back if your gonna get long tubes. I had borla and sounded great, got Hooker long tubes and i wouldnt even drive it it sounded so bad. Drove it straight to my muffler guy and he fabbed me a true dual set up and now it sounds SWEET, deep and loud but not too loud. You can cruise around with no problems (got pulled over once cause the cop wanted to hear it rev LOL) but lay into it and it SCREAMS.
    Last edited by DemonSpeed; 07-13-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My friend has a Magniflow catback with Jet Hot long tubes, ory. His car is pretty damn loud (stock cam too). I hear him leaving/driving away down the street inside my house. When he gets on it in the upper rpms it's pretty insane. Personally I don't care for Flowmaster on LS1s either. I had one and hated it. Nothing at all like on my friends LT1.

White
    2001 Camaro SS

i've got hooker lt's and ory and a borla catless and i absolutely love it. to each his own though man. if you havn't found the set-up you're looking for i would suggest finding a camaro car club close by and going to one of their get togethers so you can hear the different combos in person.
    my 2 cents

love the color of your car by the way!!
    Last edited by thisisthewayilive; 08-13-2008 at 12:11 PM.

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

LTs no cats with Xpipe with true duals with tailpipes out the back and Moroso spiralflows..

Black
    1999 Formula

i have pacesetter LT's, ORY, and SLP LM1 exhaust, n uh..... its loud...real loud, good bit of rasp in some rpms but WOT its awesome, i got a couple compliments just today actually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information