Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Another exhaust thread: loud/deep exhaust?

I have been looking at and hearing different exhaust systems for a long long time and internet recordings just vary way too much depending on the equipment used to record the sounds. Sometimes an exhaust will sound absolutely awesome and other times it will sound like the gate's of hell released its gang of fart cannon imports. A big problem with a lot of recordings is they seem to take away all the low sounds a V8 engine produces, unless all after market exhausts magically remove the low end sounds my STOCK exhaust is capable of producing which I highly doubt is true.

What I'm looking for is an exhaust that will be loud and still retain a nice low tone to it as well as giving off a nice deep gurgle at idle. I'm in love with the deep popping sound the stock WS6 exhaust makes when I hold the clutch in and let the RPMs drop from up high it just isn't loud enough.

My future plans for exhaust involve going long tube headers (Kooks, most likely).

I was originally planning on going TSP true duals with sweet thunders because videos I've heard of it are just mouth dropping, but I'm afraid it may be a bit TOO loud and I will be constantly harassed by cops. I want loud, just not loud that will make me a mobile ticket station, but not so low that you can't hear me from 10 feet away.

I've liked videos I've heard of the Borlas so far and I see a lot of people rave about GMMGs, but what exhaust out of all the ls1 f-bod ones available will give me a deep, loud tone while retaining a nice low idle gurgle. I want them to sound good after going to long tubes also. (Cats are optional because I will be tuning the codes out with a tuning software when i get the money later on)

It may be a long post, but I'm looking for a sound that I will love for years.

Thanks!!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, it sounds to me that we have the same taste in sound.... Listen to my car and tell me if you like this setup...http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_0116.flv

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well, it sounds to me that we have the same taste in sound.... Listen to my car and tell me if you like this setup...http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_0116.flv
    That's not that bad, maybe a bit louder though
    Idle is pretty good.
    What setup is that anyway?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Kooks 1 7/8's headers, Custom true dual exhaust. over axle, spin tech muffler, corsa tips.

In person.... its pretty loud... I would not want it any louder than this. To me, this is perfect. // No rasp AT ALL. Screams at WOT.... and sounds great at idle.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

ls1sounds.com
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

^^^^ Great place to start.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    ls1sounds.com
    Thanks, but no offense, I

A) Stated I have heard so many records already and want personal opinions

B) Already know of that site (most ls1 lovers should)

but, Thanks for trying to help!!

On another note, does anybody have personal experience with the Borlas?
    I love most of the videos I see of them, how deep/loud are they in person?
    Also, how do they sound coupled with a LT and ORY(or with catted y) in person?

I would appreciate recordings that actually capture the true essence of the tone with all the lows/ends.

Thanks!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, not many of us have a really saweet video camera to capture what your looking for. The money to buy that probably went into the car itself. But, you can get many opinions from people who have the pieces themselves. Personally, if I didnt have true duals... I would go Kooks or Pacesetters Long tube headers, ORY, and magnaflow catback exhaust. That would sound great IMO.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes
    Magnaflow catback

Enjoy.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Less than 3k rev
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hC0zLJvaws

It sounds really good at low rpm and at idle. It has a real nice low rumble at idle. Everyone I know in person says that they like it also. Under load it doesnt make too much of the endless drone that the LM1 setups I have heared do.

WOT rev
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GxWSyemFkIw
    When you get on it like tho it does sound like all hell has broke loose.
    I haven't been in trouble with the police yet. If you just cruise by or just do the speed limit they seem like they dont even notice. Its kinda suble but it will get eveyones attention on the street at about 4k.

Cruising at highway speeds its about as loud as my 08 Silverado is with the GM Performace Cat Back is, on the inside.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

I see a lot of people recommended, but I thought the common conception was that Magnaflows are one of the quietest after market exhausts, do they become that much more noticeable with long tubes?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow is tame. Not quiet.
    Growls in the lower RPM's.

Still plenty loud with longtubes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    I see a lot of people recommended, but I thought the common conception was that Magnaflows are one of the quietest after market exhausts, do they become that much more noticeable with long tubes?
    I have Magnaflow with LTs. Don't get me wrong, the sound is smooth and deep and sounds great when you drive hard... but it is still relatively quiet even with headers.

It is a nice stainless system and the price cannot be beat, but be prepared for sound that is really no louder than stock. Until the muffler got broken in it was much quieter than stock.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

flowmaster super 40 has a nice loud deep sound to it. i have it and i like it. had a few compliments on it. couple days ago i was parked next to a new vette at the gas station. came out and started it while the vette owner was standing in front of his ride, looked at me and said, that thing sounds "tuff". i said thank you and went on my way.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Single chamber flowmasters here with lt's and td's. I'll have to get a sound clip on here cause I love how friggen loud it is! I like the way it pops when I'm upshifting, but I don't like the backpressure pops when slowing down...If you want a nice clean sound I like Magnaflow with Lt's It's all opinion though...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Just go with the LTs into TSP true duals with sweet thunders... I love mine, I get compliments all the time...of course the cam helps make it sound nice at idle...haha.

And for the love of god or whoever you believe in... FLOWMASTERs only sound good on Mustangs...IMO, haven't understood why anyone would put it on an F-Body ... I think they make the car sound like it is gargling with listerine.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

hooker might have what you want. nice tame idle with a mean WOT.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Just go with the LTs into TSP true duals with sweet thunders... I love mine, I get compliments all the time...of course the cam helps make it sound nice at idle...haha.

And for the love of god or whoever you believe in... FLOWMASTERs only sound good on Mustangs...IMO, haven't understood why anyone would put it on an F-Body ... I think they make the car sound like it is gargling with listerine.
    Yea, I love them also, but from videos and comments I've seen/read I think they may be a bit too loud and I will be constantly harassed by the police in New York City....

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

I have a flowmaster 40 series, LT's, Off-road Y, car is pretty loud.

Idle sounds great, doesn't drone too bad. It does get very raspy when rpms drop.

I bought a 12" dynomax bullet to install in the mid-pipe, but it doesn't fit. I would be content with my set up if it were just a bit more streetable.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post

Really, cause I get compliments all the time on mine too ...That's right, single chamber flowmaster mufflers in my dumped td's with h-pipe, that only sound good on Mustangs of course...Kinda funny how I got many compliments on the sound at the All Firebird show in Saratoga Springs, NY this past weekend? You know, 140 cars from all generations of Firebirds and T/A's that loved the sound. We even passed a couple of guys on the way home, and then ended up seeing them at a gas station up the road. First thing out of their mouths was "damn that car sounds good!"

I often wonder why people think that their opinion is the only one that matters and it never ceases to amaze me when they can't grasp the simple concept that an opinion is just that; An opinion. Have I reiterated the word opinion enough?

Thread Information