Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ANOTHER exhaust question (please be patient)

This is a discussion on ANOTHER exhaust question (please be patient) within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TACE02 yes the LS1 is designed to run with back pressure stock and all but the cutout ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    yes the LS1 is designed to run with back pressure stock and all but the cutout doesn't free up the exhaust that much. I have a friend I run all the time and I tear him up by at least a full car or more when he caps his cutout and runs through his GMMG exhaust. When he uncaps it, I have yet to beat him. He always wins by about half to a full car. Granted both of us are modded a good bit, but the road tests don't lie.
    And even if the cutout only adds 5 HP that is around $10 a horse. Thats about as cheap as you will get anything in the mod game. Not to mention cap it for inspections or when you have a headache. And yes when I was a lid and cutout, I could tell a difference between capped and uncapped, and no it wasn't just because of the sound. But I do like loud so I dumped mine right under the passenger seat...haha.
    If thats the case with your friends car it needs to be retuned if that makes that big of a difference.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2001 T/A M6

i love you ppl

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Well considering my friend has stage 1 heads (vs my stage 2s) and a smaller cam than me. I think the cutout is trying to tell him, he needs to let the motor breath more. I would be more willing to bet I need another tune...LOL.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well considering my friend has stage 1 heads (vs my stage 2s) and a smaller cam than me. I think the cutout is trying to tell him, he needs to let the motor breath more. I would be more willing to bet I need another tune...LOL.
    Regaurdless of whos car if you are picking up that much performance by opening a cutout there is some parameters on the tune that are off!!
    Yeah you sould see a gain but NOT anything like being able to beat cars that you couldn't with the exhaust on there. Unless you have 1 7/8" pipe and a Caddy muffler. I had to put that or I would get some smart a_s response saying what if you had small single exhaust....
    And on the head issue there is ALOT more things to consider other than Stage 1 versus Stage II. Lot's of people are still confused that bigger is always better and that is NOT true!!
    Just as if you talk to ANY of the major race engine builders about them doing your heads and your first ?'s is about flow #'s most will tell you "Live by the flowbench dye by the flowbench!!"

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Unless you have 1 7/8" pipe and a Caddy muffler. I had to put that or I would get some smart a_s response saying what if you had small single exhaust....
    lol, I hear you there. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    And on the head issue there is ALOT more things to consider other than Stage 1 versus Stage II. Lot's of people are still confused that bigger is always better and that is NOT true!!
    Just as if you talk to ANY of the major race engine builders about them doing your heads and your first ?'s is about flow #'s most will tell you "Live by the flowbench dye by the flowbench!!"
    Yeah I wish I woulda done more research and such and had more examples to go off of. I was told my heads would be great and put down solid numbers with my setup. If I could go back and do it all over again, I guarantee I would get a lot better results for that 6K I dumped into my motor. But I guess you gotta learn somehow. Hell I didn't even get any specs for my heads, and was told "pretty sure we fly cut your pistons, nah nah we had to have". And then was told I could go a little bigger on my cam but it wouldn't help any. What is a little bigger??? But not gonna name names allready got into a pissing match with them on another forums. I just know who will never touch my car again.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

lol, I hear you there. LOL.

Yeah I wish I woulda done more research and such and had more examples to go off of. I was told my heads would be great and put down solid numbers with my setup. If I could go back and do it all over again, I guarantee I would get a lot better results for that 6K I dumped into my motor. But I guess you gotta learn somehow. Hell I didn't even get any specs for my heads, and was told "pretty sure we fly cut your pistons, nah nah we had to have". And then was told I could go a little bigger on my cam but it wouldn't help any. What is a little bigger??? But not gonna name names allready got into a pissing match with them on another forums. I just know who will never touch my car again.

Yeah you live and learn.... I know I've been there!!
    THE ONLY THING I CAN TELL YOU IS LISTEN TO SOMEONE THAT IS AT THE TRACK EVERY WEEKEND WITH FAST CARS!! Not someone that comes once every 6-8 monthes with a car that runs good for a week end or two and then blows up. You can get lucky and make a car or two fast....... But it takes real knowledge and skill to build FAST cars all the time. And on that notea real tuner/builder should not be limited to one car and make.that will tell you weather or not he has vast knowledge.
    PM me your real email and I'll send you some video clips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information