Alternator Replacement?

This is a discussion on Alternator Replacement? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi all, I have thought my alternator was going bad since I bought the car and now my battery goes ...

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Alternator Replacement?

Hi all,
    I have thought my alternator was going bad since I bought the car and now my battery goes dead after like 5 days of sitting so I am thinking it is the alternator.
    Does anyone sell good aftermarket alternators or should I just replace with a stocker?
    thanks
    2000 Z28 M6 125,XXX: SLP lid, K&N, 10.4mm Taylor plug wires, Frost Tune, P&P TB, NGK Iridium plugs, Magnaflow Cat back, BMR SFC's and tower brace, TSP LT's and ORY, LS6 intake, MAC Girdle, UMI LCA's and Panhard, LS7 Clutch Kit, so far..

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would first confirm that your Alt is the problem. Most auto parts stores will do a Charging system check for free. Also ensure your Battery cables are clean and tight.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I would first confirm that your Alt is the problem. Most auto parts stores will do a Charging system check for free. Also ensure your Battery cables are clean and tight.
    J
    ^ true but i thought that with our problem that the test doesnt always pick up on the problem

98' trans am

to the OP..if i had to put a guess out ..i would say you have a aftermarket system correct ? do you also have any aftermarket gauges, lights, security system. There is a TSB out a long time ago about our cars that we need to let our cars run every so often with no accessories on and our lights off (T/a) to let the alt recharge the battery ..as our measly 105(i am pretty sure that is what it is) cant handle the load when the lights, a/c, and radio are on at the same time.

i personally think it is good practice to replace the alt anyways when you upgrade the electronics on these cars...but for piece of mind, i would get the alt tested and look into some red top or yellow top batteries too.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    to the OP..if i had to put a guess out ..i would say you have a aftermarket system correct ? do you also have any aftermarket gauges, lights, security system. There is a TSB out a long time ago about our cars that we need to let our cars run every so often with no accessories on and our lights off (T/a) to let the alt recharge the battery ..as our measly 105(i am pretty sure that is what it is) cant handle the load when the lights, a/c, and radio are on at the same time.

i personally think it is good practice to replace the alt anyways when you upgrade the electronics on these cars...but for piece of mind, i would get the alt tested and look into some red top or yellow top batteries too.
    I have a red top optima, it has an aftermarket system yes but I unhooked it to see if it would still do it as fast (it did) the alternator still looks stock and only ever puts out about 12.5 charging volts with the lights off and that drops as it gets warm. Ill pull the alternator and get it tested, if there is any question ill replace it. I was just wondering if i should get a bigger, better alternator?

98' trans am

i personally would get a better alt. i know with some swaping of the black rear piece and some know-how ..you can swap some of the gen III engine truck's alt. i believe they are 120..also i believe the same is true for the c5 vettes ...do some research and you will save some coin.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

this site is where i do my research.. lol hopefully someone else will chime in..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i personally would get a better alt. i know with some swaping of the black rear piece and some know-how ..you can swap some of the gen III engine truck's alt. i believe they are 120..also i believe the same is true for the c5 vettes ...do some research and you will save some coin.
    Becarefull doing this.. The Vette and truck Alt also have a heavier wound stater too.. Also to the op I would recommend if you do deside to go with a new Alt. get a new one. Remanufactured Alts can be hit or miss on getting a good one, mostly miss in my experiance as a one time Alt rebuilder..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Becarefull doing this.. The Vette and truck Alt also have a heavier wound stater too.. Also to the op I would recommend if you do deside to go with a new Alt. get a new one. Remanufactured Alts can be hit or miss on getting a good one, mostly miss in my experiance as a one time Alt rebuilder..
    thanks, I think I might get a 150amp from summit if I get one. or would that be too much?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    thanks, I think I might get a 150amp from summit if I get one. or would that be too much?
    Should'nt be but I've never had to go too far over stock to achieve good results.. Just keep in mind that more Amps can be hard on connectors that may be worn or corroded or dirty..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    Just replace the wire that goes to the battery from the alternator with a heavier gauge if you do. 12.5 volts is not enough to maintain the battery. Should be closer to 13.5.

Thread Information