air system

This is a discussion on air system within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; during my lt install i removed the air system but i did not know until later after reading on this ...

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

air system

during my lt install i removed the air system but i did not know until later after reading on this site. My buddy that was helping me removed the air system so i didnt mess with it. I keep reading about a tee on the back of the intake that i need to cap what direction does this tee face and what is the easiest way to cap it?

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    during my lt install i removed the air system but i did not know until later after reading on this site. My buddy that was helping me removed the air system so i didnt mess with it. I keep reading about a tee on the back of the intake that i need to cap what direction does this tee face and what is the easiest way to cap it?
    if it was the tee off the big hose (i think 3/4") from the air pump, (it runs from one exhaust manifold to the other) then take them out,then simply cap them with block off plates. If its the tee behind the intake manifold (its actually a Y fitting) 3/8" hose, then its the pcv lines. you need those, so dont touch them. I diid mine last night and ran into the same problem...

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by razer900 View Post
    if it was the tee off the big hose (i think 3/4") from the air pump, (it runs from one exhaust manifold to the other) then take them out,then simply cap them with block off plates. If its the tee behind the intake manifold (its actually a Y fitting) 3/8" hose, then its the pcv lines. you need those, so dont touch them. I diid mine last night and ran into the same problem...
    i know what the PCV hoses are. The air conections on the headers are blocked off with plates. What i am asking is that when you take the DV and the AIR solenoid out of the car there is supposed to be a small vacuum line that runs from one of those two to the back of the INTAKE that i need to cap i just need to know what direction this nipple is facing because i have reached around the back of the intake and the only thing i am feeling is a electrical hookup. Thanks though

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Instructions and pics in this thread: Secondary Air: Diagnosing and Removal You will be unplugging the vacuum line from the electric solenoid which is located in front of the diverter valve.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

ok so the solenoid vacuum line used to run to the nipple on the back of the intake. But where is this nipple facing left/ right/ down/ up underneath the electrical connector on the back of the intake??

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm not quite sure -- it seemed like it ran into the harness and then over to the passenger side of the car. If you look next to your PCM (back passenger corner of your engine bay) you will find a vacuum T there that it may run to. I capped mine where it unplugged from the solenoid.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

so you just left the hose attached to the back wherever and just capped the open end that went to the soleniod? If so wish i would have done that. but i didnt so im screwed.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

ok how about this then Does anyone have a good clear picture of the back of a LS1 intake showing where the cap/ vacuum line goes?

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

http://www.thedetailzone.com/LS1vLS6.JPG

ok so i found this the one on the right is the LS1 intake i see a big tube and a little tube which one gets plugged and what is the other for or can both get plugged

white
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I'm not sure if the vaccum system is the same on a 98 as it is on my 01, but on mine there are two vaccum lines attached to the AIR solenoid. One is a short vaccum line that runs from the diverter valve to the AIR solenoid. This one can be removed with the rest of the AIR system. The other vaccum line runs from the AIR solenoid to an in-line vaccum tee behind the intake. This tee is not part of, or attached to the intake. If yours is the same, you will need to cap this line that was left when you removed the solenoid. You should not have to cap the fittings on the back of the intake. The big one is for your power brake booster and the smaller one supplies vaccum to the tee that I mentioned. If you were to cap it off, you would disable the vaccum to the HVAC mode switch, which would cause your heat/air system to operate only in defrost mode, and possibly to your MAP sensor. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by RaptApe; 03-27-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you accidentally break the line, or it unplugged from somewhere that you can't find? I have used a small mirror to look around back there -- they make one that mounts to a "sliding antenna" that you can swivel the head on. I just point a flashlight at the mirror and it lights up whatever you are trying to see in back. Works great!

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    http://www.thedetailzone.com/LS1vLS6.JPG

ok so i found this the one on the right is the LS1 intake i see a big tube and a little tube which one gets plugged and what is the other for or can both get plugged
    now iam friggin confused again, my car (98) did not have that part as pictured. but, along side my main air pump (under the headlight) is a cylinder looking thingy with small hoses on it. Could it vary from car to car?? I tried to get pics but my camera took a dump.... errrrrrrrrr!!

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

ok i felt around the back of the intake today i felt the brake booster line attached to the Drivers side of the intake. On the passenger side i felt a wire connector which is probably for the map sensor and i also gelt a very small vacuum line that feels like plastic that is connected to it and i traced it all of the way across the passenger front fenderwell and then i went down somewhere underneath the battery area. While i was inspecting this hose i noticed that there was a small wear break in the line near the battery so i patched it up. Guessing this is the line for the Hvac but i have never had a problem with my heater or ac. So where does this line go to when it goes under the battery? Also patching this line did not fix my vibration problem when i am sitting at a stop light. Also when i put the car in reverse the RPMS drop down a little it also makes the RPMs drop when the car is in reverse and i hit the brakes but not to bad to the point of stallig. I just want to figure this shit out because the car never did this before the tune or the LT install.

white
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The vacuum line, that runs under the battery, goes to the vacuum canister. Its mounted on the bottom of the passenger side frame rail.

I don't know much about tuning yet, but if the problems didn't start until you got the tune, I'm guessing they just don't have it nailed down yet.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

well i got the tune by mail order from frost and i put the PCM back in the car before i did the LT install and drove it a couple of days before i could get it to the shop to do the LT install. The car ran fine with the tune until i put the LT on and then it all started

Thread Information