Thread: AIR removal

Black
    2002 WS6

AIR removal

After removing my AIR setup, I have a tube on top of my manifold that use to plug into my AIR. Should this be blocked off and where does it go.?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    After removing my AIR setup, I have a tube on top of my manifold that use to plug into my AIR. Should this be blocked off and where does it go.?
    When you say "use to plug into my AIR" do you mean the fan box behind/below the drivers side headlight? If so follow it around and it tee's one goes to the right exaust and one to the left. If this is true than we are tallking about the same hose. You can disconet them from the exaust, and put block off plates on.

What I did when I removed my air a couple of years back. Was to fold the hose back across itself (causing a pinch) a stuck it under the cowl. I believe they have check valves to keep exaust from coming back up. The reason I did mine like this is I had planed on putting long tubes on with out the AIR bung. Still plan on doing it. it will just be further down the road.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    When you say "use to plug into my AIR" do you mean the fan box behind/below the drivers side headlight? If so follow it around and it tee's one goes to the right exaust and one to the left. If this is true than we are tallking about the same hose. You can disconet them from the exaust, and put block off plates on.

What I did when I removed my air a couple of years back. Was to fold the hose back across itself (causing a pinch) a stuck it under the cowl. I believe they have check valves to keep exaust from coming back up. The reason I did mine like this is I had planed on putting long tubes on with out the AIR bung. Still plan on doing it. it will just be further down the road.
    the fan box youre refering to blows air into the exhaust manifold. you just plate the bung and youre done, folding the hose will just keep dirt from getting there in case you reuse in the future. i think the poster is confusing this with the egr system which has the tube going to the top of the manifold behind the throttle body.[?] yes you have to plug the hole. ive seen simple pipe plugs, a rubber sandwiched between two plates with a bolt and nut thru it, tighten the bolt and it squeezes the rubber out to seal the hole. back to the air system tho, did you remove the pipes and connected hoses all the way out the fender and down to the air pump? if not you should. when you say you tucked them under the cowl made me think you left all that stuff hooked up.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 08-09-2009 at 06:08 AM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    the fan box youre refering to blows air into the exhaust manifold. you just plate the bung and youre done, folding the hose will just keep dirt from getting there in case you reuse in the future. i think the poster is confusing this with the egr system which has the tube going to the top of the manifold behind the throttle body.[?] yes you have to plug the hole. ive seen simple pipe plugs, a rubber sandwiched between two plates with a bolt and nut thru it, tighten the bolt and it squeezes the rubber out to seal the hole. back to the air system tho, did you remove the pipes and connected hoses all the way out the fender and down to the air pump? if not you should. when you say you tucked them under the cowl made me think you left all that stuff hooked up.
    the only part still in the car is the tubes that attach to the exaust. And when I get my QTP's they will be out.

He has an '02 so ther shouldn't be an egr.

But i don't remember any part of the air hooking up to the INTAKE manifold.

OP Intake or exaust??
    Last edited by blackcar; 08-09-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6

looks like a vacuum tube hooking into the map sensor or at least something at the back of the manifold. I'm guessing it was part of the AIR assembly because it is located on the driver side with a connector and a bracket that is loose. The hose has an l shape on the end as if it provides some vacuum.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yea just block it off wit a vacuum cap or a plug. It used to go to the big junction t on the air system on the drivers side head. So theres no need for it anymore.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    the only part still in the car is the tubes that attach to the exaust. And when I get my QTP's they will be out.

He has an '02 so ther shouldn't be an egr.

But i don't remember any part of the air hooking up to the INTAKE manifold.

OP Intake or exaust??
    oops, didnt look at the year. im looking at doing my egr and air removal and my mind went to top of intake, thats not what he meant i guess. i keep thinking everybodys looks like mine. i must be daydreaming. i thought you had plated the exhaust and were talking about the hose at the air pump. you left the manifolds hooked up and unhooked the hose between the check valves and the pump and folded that end. sorry. it helps to go back and reread stuff sometimes.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 08-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    oops, didnt look at the year. im looking at doing my egr and air removal and my mind went to top of intake, thats not what he meant i guess. i keep thinking everybodys looks like mine. i must be daydreaming. i thought you had plated the exhaust and were talking about the hose at the air pump. you left the manifolds hooked up and unhooked the hose between the check valves and the pump and folded that end. sorry. it helps to go back and reread stuff sometimes.
    You got it now.

It's been a few years since I've taken all that out, but I don't remember the hose going to the map the OP talked about.

Thread Information