Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Air intake questions.

This is a discussion on Air intake questions. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Its flexible cause its rubber and used mainy to join sections of drain pipe that may be out of alignment. ...

black
    2002 WS6

Its flexible cause its rubber and used mainy to join sections of drain pipe that may be out of alignment. It also allows the pipes to move with temperature, unlike a fixed/ridged coupling.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Im inpatient, im going out in the dark with a flash light and seeing if this thing will work.. brb
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    Im inpatient, im going out in the dark with a flash light and seeing if this thing will work.. brb
    LOL,,,you sound like me.
    Thanks for the pics. I'll have to check it out at the store tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Its flexible cause its rubber and used mainy to join sections of drain pipe that may be out of alignment. It also allows the pipes to move with temperature, unlike a fixed/ridged coupling.
    Well not necessarily. The smooth bellows are made of rubber too,,,,but that thing is stiff as a board,,,lol.
    Maybe this fernco stuff has a thin wall allowing movement???

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

It does not fit, the intake end is too small, the side where it goes on the LID fits, so i will need the 1 that has a 4'' side diameter and a 3'', and i couldn't tell for sure if it would even work with it on there. Didn't get that far. BTW, i bout the one that had a 3'' diameter on both sides, and i have a ls6 intake..

Thanks

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

^^ Scratch that... i just found out i can stretch the end.. ill have a retry later.. the hood slamming is going to piss neighbors off, so it is a maybe right now. Sry

black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well not necessarily. The smooth bellows are made of rubber too,,,,but that thing is stiff as a board,,,lol.
    Maybe this fernco stuff has a thin wall allowing movement???
    The Fernco is a plumbing part not a performance part. It is used to joing drain pipe together, usually for an easy repair or for joining cast iron to PVC pipe.

Standard plumbing fittings are not flexible cause they are made from matching material for permanent fittment.

The smooth bellows are made of silicone which is more flexible and they are made much thinner. Allowing for movement from the motor.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

UPDATE!!

Does not work, i stretched it on the intake, but the thing doesn't bend up and reaches the lid, so i guess i have to do it right.. and order the 60 buck 1 from slp...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    UPDATE!!

Does not work, i stretched it on the intake, but the thing doesn't bend up and reaches the lid, so i guess i have to do it right.. and order the 60 buck 1 from slp...
    Good to know. I went to Home Depot the other day. I found some of the Fernco stuff but didn't feel it would be flexible enough to do it the way I prefer.

I'm with you,,,,would rather spend the money and get something on there functional both mechanically and cosmetically.

My only complaint with the SLP smooth bellow on one of the cars,,,,,is it's rather stiff,,,and removing the lid requires undoing the entire setup from the throttle body,,,somewhat of a pain but it works and looks nice.
    The factory accordian hose still on my other car sure makes service much easier,,,you can nearly unsnap the lid and turn it 180 degrees without even removing the hose. Although it's a hindrence to airflow,,,I'm still reluctant to remove it for this reason.
    I may wait until I'm ready to order other things from SLP and get all of it in one shot,,,and make my decision then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information