Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ahhhh

black
    2000 camaro ss

ahhhh

so i just traded my louddmouth 1 exhaust for a set of longtube headers Y pipe and $160....Its looking like its going to be a headache installing...because im a f'n NEWBIE!

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

everyone makes a huge deal about putting on headers. trust me there not bad AT ALL i bought pacesetters and the fitment was right on and it only took me and a buddy and hour and a half from start to finish

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is really not that bad to do. Take your time, remove the coil packs and plugs, unbolt the oil dipstick tube and you'll have room to work. I found it best to "rock" the manifold bolts to remove them. Break them all free and then go back to unbolt them. If they start to feel tight as you unscrew them, stop and run the bolt back in, and then out. Keep rocking the bolt in and out until it loosens up -- they are not very large and being threaded into aluminum you want to take you time.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

PB Blaster helps too.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    PB Blaster helps too.
    jsut make sure the spray hole isn't faceing you eyes...

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i was extremely surprised on how easy taking out the old manifolds and exhaust was. afteri removed all the plugs and wires it took maybe 20 minutes or so

BTW taking the coil packs off makes it easier but isnt mandatory. i didnt remove mine and got to all the bolts just fine i just have a few scratches on my hand now but no big deal

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

hour and a half? ha! my car sat on stands for a month when i did the headers! but i was also waiting on parts, and changed the motor mounts too...damn im slow.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    everyone makes a huge deal about putting on headers. trust me there not bad AT ALL i bought pacesetters and the fitment was right on and it only took me and a buddy and hour and a half from start to finish
    How many installs have you done?. The average header install on these cars is 9-12 hours with motor mounts.

silver
    2000 formula

bet i could do some headers in a few hrs

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    How many installs have you done?. The average header install on these cars is 9-12 hours with motor mounts.
    first time lol i had a lift and air tools too so that helped

first time lol i had a lift and air tools too so that helped
    Wow thats impressive.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Wow thats impressive.
    i was freaking out before the install cause i only had the lift for 3 hours but had a buddy that did his on his trans am (TmexicanA) is what he is know as here but we got them right in and bolted up with out a glitch

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

They key for me was getting the car high enough. It has to be almost a full 2ft off the ground or more.

Removing the coil packs is pretty easy and every piece out of your way will make it a little easier to do.

It may be a good idea to remove/loosen the steering knuckle/swivel on the driver side. The part that connects the steering shaft to the rack. There is a bolt on the top that lets it slide enough to get the header in. Only do this if you go to put the header in and it just won't seem to slide up in there.

I installed my SLP LT's on my 98 formula alone in my garage, took my time and it took me about 4 hours. start to finish.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    They key for me was getting the car high enough. It has to be almost a full 2ft off the ground or more.

Removing the coil packs is pretty easy and every piece out of your way will make it a little easier to do.

It may be a good idea to remove/loosen the steering knuckle/swivel on the driver side. The part that connects the steering shaft to the rack. There is a bolt on the top that lets it slide enough to get the header in. Only do this if you go to put the header in and it just won't seem to slide up in there.

I installed my SLP LT's on my 98 formula alone in my garage, took my time and it took me about 4 hours. start to finish.
    the steering shaft is the only thing that i had to take off on mine but it had no play in it when the top bolt was removed so we just unbolted it from the rack too but it wasnt hard at all to do.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    jsut make sure the spray hole isn't faceing you eyes...
    Spaz you kill me sometimes you know....

black
    2000 camaro ss

ok.. can i get a list of what all i need to install headers.. do i really need new motor mounts? just give me a list of the NECESSARY things please..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can reuse your gaskets, motor mounts aren't required, and I believe that's about it. You'll want to remove your oil filter at a minimum which means you'll need a new filter and enough oil to top it off. If it's close go ahead and change your oil though while you're there. How many miles on your plugs/wires??? Way way easier to do those when doing headers but again....not a requirement.

Pretty straightforward job. That drivers side header will need to go in almost vertically from underneath so make sure your car is way up in the air if you're doing it on stands. If you're doing it on stands be very very careful when the car is at that height.

When we were doing mine I had a buddy under the car with me and one was out fetching tools as we needed it. We were wrestling my catback back on the car and the guy that wasn't under the car started yelling. We stopped and he said the whole car was swaying on the stands. That's how easy it is to get killed under one....no way we survive that if the car would've came down.

black
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can reuse your gaskets, motor mounts aren't required, and I believe that's about it. You'll want to remove your oil filter at a minimum which means you'll need a new filter and enough oil to top it off. If it's close go ahead and change your oil though while you're there. How many miles on your plugs/wires??? Way way easier to do those when doing headers but again....not a requirement.

Pretty straightforward job. That drivers side header will need to go in almost vertically from underneath so make sure your car is way up in the air if you're doing it on stands. If you're doing it on stands be very very careful when the car is at that height.

When we were doing mine I had a buddy under the car with me and one was out fetching tools as we needed it. We were wrestling my catback back on the car and the guy that wasn't under the car started yelling. We stopped and he said the whole car was swaying on the stands. That's how easy it is to get killed under one....no way we survive that if the car would've came down.
    yeahhh thats a little scary.. it will be on a lift tho..im not sure how many miles are on the plugs and wires because i havent had the car for long and i havent changed them..the car has 42,000 miles on it... i think we are going throw it on the lift monday...

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

headers are not bad for your first time, your going to learn the things to do and not to do, me and a buddy spent a Thursday 6pm to 4am... took a little longer cause we removed the motor mount and the stand for the mount and realized we didn't need to do that so on the other side we just removed the mount! removing the old stuff was super easy, we removed the egr and air removed the coils care was about 2ft off the ground, removed the stock y-pipe, cats, and manifolds with no problems, replaced the mounts and installed the new headers, plugs, wires, and installed all the coils and everything! MAKE SURE ur plug wires are plugged in all the way i had to remove the metal wire sleeves at the head cause they prevented the plug wires from seating.

i could easily cut down my install time in half after my first install i would have to say....

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Really?

It took me that long to do the plugs and wires after my LT install

Thread Information