Results 1 to 10 of 10

aftermarket y pipe on stock muffler?

This is a discussion on aftermarket y pipe on stock muffler? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im looking to get long tubes and a y pipe soon with a cut out... but i dont see having ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    126

    Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

    aftermarket y pipe on stock muffler?

    im looking to get long tubes and a y pipe soon with a cut out...

    but i dont see having a cat back system with a cut out

    plus when the cut out is shut im hopeing it wont be very loud...

    i kinda like the sleeper look and sound but with the push of a button its loud!!!

    has anyone ever seen this done?

  2. #2
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Age
    26
    Posts
    815

    Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

    headers will make you car louder so that's kinda unavoidable unless you put an extra muffler on there, and headers through a stock muffler sounds like shit imo. Also you won't be getting the most out of headers that way either, you can find videos on youtube. At least swap out the stock muffler with something else if your gonna keep the catback.

  3. #3
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I know there have been several old foggies like me that have done the headers and off road Y while still using the stock catback. I'm somewhat of a sleeper kinda guy myself.

    I do this on both of our SS 4th gens but they also both have the optional SLP catback upgrade, which is a 3 inch I-pipe and their stainless crossflow muffler and 2 1/2 inch tailpipes. It's still a pretty quiet system and easily livable on a daily basis without attracting attention, but they perform just as well as any other aftermarket 3 inch catback. Unfortunately it can't be bought anymore unless you find a used one.
    The only issue with the other stock catbacks are the fact that the I-pipe is a smaller diameter and the tailpipes are 2 1/4 inches, so it chokes a bit, but I've seen modded cars like this that still run well enough. With a cutout like you mentioned, most of it could be bypassed though, I like the idea.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SSIZZLN View Post
    im looking to get long tubes and a y pipe soon with a cut out...

    but i dont see having a cat back system with a cut out

    plus when the cut out is shut im hopeing it wont be very loud...

    i kinda like the sleeper look and sound but with the push of a button its loud!!!

    has anyone ever seen this done?
    I have Long tubes to a 3" texas speed catted Y pipe with the stock ws6 catback. I had a 40 series muffler welded in and its not too loud at idle, but wot its very loud. Comparable to LM2. It flows very well as well. Seems like the stock muffler is the restriction to the ws6/ss catback.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 10-29-2010 at 09:42 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    126

    Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

    well i think im gonna try it out when ever i get around to ordering headers and y pipe...like yall said i can always put in a cat back or weld in a muffler later on if it ends up not sounding good (to me)

    bone stock 2002 m6 12.9 @ 108 woooohoooo!!!!!!
    bone stock 1999 m6 TA 13.4 @ 104 2.1 60' Still has a little more in her!

  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    That's the way to go, and see for yourself. From my experience with these cars, adding headers and even deleting the cats never really rose the noise level all that much. There was a slight difference but not enough for my wife to even notice.
    And like you said, installing a cutout before the muffler would bypass all that, and make noise when you want to.

    The other option if you really wanted to replace the catback might be the Magnaflow setup. It's relatively quiet, probably one of the quieter setups on the market. It still has more bark than my factory SLP setups do though.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    126

    Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's the way to go, and see for yourself. From my experience with these cars, adding headers and even deleting the cats never really rose the noise level all that much. There was a slight difference but not enough for my wife to even notice.
    And like you said, installing a cutout before the muffler would bypass all that, and make noise when you want to.

    The other option if you really wanted to replace the catback might be the Magnaflow setup. It's relatively quiet, probably one of the quieter setups on the market. It still has more bark than my factory SLP setups do though.
    coolio...thanks guys!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SSIZZLN View Post
    well i think im gonna try it out when ever i get around to ordering headers and y pipe...like yall said i can always put in a cat back or weld in a muffler later on if it ends up not sounding good (to me)
    If your not going to do internals I would just weld in a muffler if your on a budget. Catbacks for ws6/ss cars only add 3-4 more hp.

  9. #9
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    I have LsXtreme's long tubes and ORY on the "stock" Firehawk SLP exhaust. Tried it three different ways- stock, catted-y, and ORY. Catted-Y had a little better rumble than stock, especially at WOT, but was nice and quiet at idle. ORY is quite a bit louder both at idle and WOT. The SLP still has the stock 2 3/4" connection at the y-to-i but is 3-inch the rest of the way back to the muffler. If I can ever get a decent enough mic/vid I'll get it recorded.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    I have LsXtreme's long tubes and ORY on the "stock" Firehawk SLP exhaust. Tried it three different ways- stock, catted-y, and ORY. Catted-Y had a little better rumble than stock, especially at WOT, but was nice and quiet at idle. ORY is quite a bit louder both at idle and WOT. The SLP still has the stock 2 3/4" connection at the y-to-i but is 3-inch the rest of the way back to the muffler. If I can ever get a decent enough mic/vid I'll get it recorded.
    Yep, your Firehawk SLP exhaust is the same thing that came optional on both of our SS camaro's.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for aftermarket muffler and tips! ASAP
    By rcorte3001 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
  2. Aftermarket muffler
    By Varanus762x39 in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 08:20 AM
  3. CHEAP!!! Stock Y-Pipe, Off-road Y-pipe, stock suspension
    By Black99Z28 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
  4. quietest aftermarket muffler
    By momsls1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
  5. Which muffler to replace stock muffler
    By casino187 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •