Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

400hp

This is a discussion on 400hp within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TheGimp711 exaclty how much time does it take to install headers on a lift? I heard a ...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp711 View Post
    exaclty how much time does it take to install headers on a lift? I heard a few people say it takes as much as 8hrs while other say its really not bad?

Thanks,
    Evan

Would you guys recommend the SLP Ram air kit over the K&N kit?
    Here's a pretty good header guide http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html . The length of time depends on several variables including your mechanical ability. Mine installed in 4 hours on jack stands with a buddy, including BS time and beer breaks.

For CAI, I'd recommend JAAM or FTRA since you have a WS6, or sealing and debaffling and saving the CAI money.
    2002 WS6 Trans Am, A4, SLP lid, P&P TB, 3500 stall, 24K GVW tranny cooler, HPTuners, Pacesetter LTs, Bassani dual exhaust with 'x' crossover, coolant bypass, sealed airbox to hood.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jag42420

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    ^ Why do half the mods and get it tuned then see how you like it then put a bigger cam in and have to get it retuned? IMO do everything at one time if you have the money so you only have to get the car tuned 1 time-saves money/time.
    well you can get an a/f ratio tune for pretty cheap. and you do not really need a tune if you are going to spray a 75 shot through it. But yes a cam will need a tune when installed.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

you are making 338rwhp with just an exhaust? tune or untuned? I think thats really good...

ARH LT's and ORY, CAI, tune. The whole point was that another ls1 with the same mods (02 so an ls6 intake) and tru duals only had a 6 rwhp gain compared to a reg exhaust, and that for the amount of money you would spend (in this case about 1grand for over the axle tru duals) you're better off spending elsewhere ..like on a cam and gain 40rwhp.

You could save a hell of a lot of money and just dump em before the axle..but i think on trans am's it looks like ass, camaro's can get away with that. Or, just get some cutouts on the y-pipe (best option IMO)

I'll say it till i'm blue in the face, these cars were meant to have a y pipe.
    Last edited by Vertiviper; 12-12-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    ARH LT's and ORY, CAI, tune. The whole point was that another ls1 with the same mods (02 so an ls6 intake) and tru duals only had a 6 rwhp gain compared to a reg exhaust, and that for the amount of money you would spend (in this case about 1grand for over the axle tru duals) you're better off spending elsewhere ..like on a cam and gain 40rwhp.
    I'll say it till i'm blue in the face, these cars were meant to have a y pipe.
    Surely I read your post wrong. You can't honestly believe dual pipes don't outperform a single? A good true duals setup will gain 15-20rwhp over a y-pipe catback, hands down. The heavier the other modifications, the greater the gains. You can't compare HP gains from different cars, as all cars will dyno different stock. The cars you're trying to compare could be 25-30HP apart on the baseline.

Talk to Mrr23 here. He dynoed a 20rwhp gain going to true duals FROM a catback on stock manifolds! He even gained power with the duals over cutouts. Read his performance comparison here http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm .

No local exhaust shops wanted to run my duals over axle, they all wanted to go under. They wanted $400 for under axle duals. I picked up the Bassanis (after seeing dyno after dyno of their gains) for $780. The Bassanis gave me a consistent .15 gain in the quarter (with no tuning on stock manifolds and stock cats). Considering the gains they get on stock manifolds are about what a y-pipe catback setup with headers combined provide, I figured they were well worth the money. Duals will multiply your other mods too, from headers to cam and heads, etc.. I highly recommend a good set of true duals over a y-pipe anyday.

Black
    2000 WS6

Do I need a new lid with the FTRA setup and high flow air filter or do they come with it? Can I use the SLP lid with it if it does not come with it? Does it utilize the factory air filter?
    Thanks,
    Evan

Black
    2000 WS6

Anybody ever run the Mac Longtubes? I had them on my mustangs and they worked and fit great...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Do I need a new lid with the FTRA setup and high flow air filter or do they come with it?
    No

Can I use the SLP lid with it if it does not come with it?
    Yes

Does it utilize the factory air filter?
    Yes

Black
    2000 WS6

thank you...anybody on the Mac Longtubes?

Thanks,
    Evan

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Surely I read your post wrong. You can't honestly believe dual pipes don't outperform a single? A good true duals setup will gain 15-20rwhp over a y-pipe catback, hands down. The heavier the other modifications, the greater the gains. You can't compare HP gains from different cars, as all cars will dyno different stock. The cars you're trying to compare could be 25-30HP apart on the baseline.

Talk to Mrr23 here. He dynoed a 20rwhp gain going to true duals FROM a catback on stock manifolds! He even gained power with the duals over cutouts. Read his performance comparison here http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm .

No local exhaust shops wanted to run my duals over axle, they all wanted to go under. They wanted $400 for under axle duals. I picked up the Bassanis (after seeing dyno after dyno of their gains) for $780. The Bassanis gave me a consistent .15 gain in the quarter (with no tuning on stock manifolds and stock cats). Considering the gains they get on stock manifolds are about what a y-pipe catback setup with headers combined provide, I figured they were well worth the money. Duals will multiply your other mods too, from headers to cam and heads, etc.. I highly recommend a good set of true duals over a y-pipe anyday.
    Very well writen and informative post!!!! X2!!!!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

thank you...anybody on the Mac Longtubes?

Thanks,
    Evan
    Mac does not make a LTH for the F-Body. They only make Mid-Tube Headers for F-Bodys that include a Y-pipe for $550. I am sure they have a decent gain in hp, but at that cost, you might as well buy LTH's

White
    2002 Pontiac

You might look into a set of LPP headers (formerly known as XS). These might very well be the new best bang for your buck headers. They're polished stainless 321 steal for $450 shipped. My exaust plans definitely include these headers. Better material and workmanship appears to be top notch, especially for the price.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Im picking up a 2000 WS6 soon and have some money to spend on it. It already has a Borla Catback and High Flow Cat on it. Im looking to get around 400whp but dont really want to put heads on it. I was looking into Cam, Intake Manifold, Intake, TB, Longtubes and removing the cats....as well as a custom dyno tune. Could I see 375-400whp from this? Any recommendations on where to get it tuned? I live in Upstate NY. I was recommended by one local guy to go to the thevettedoctors in Amityville.

Why does nobody like the BBK SSI Intake either? Is it really that bad? I used to be a mustang guy and seen some make good power from them?

Thanks,
    Evan
    dont waste your money on intake the benefit is not worth the cost... Headers and cam can boost your horsepower close to a 100hp depending on how radical you go with a cam. The LS engines already breath well, but getting the air out(exshaust) coaches your engine up and cam and headers will pick up the largest horsepower gains for what you are trying to achieve>>>>

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    dont waste your money on intake the benefit is not worth the cost... Headers and cam can boost your horsepower close to a 100hp depending on how radical you go with a cam. The LS engines already breath well, but getting the air out(exshaust) coaches your engine up and cam and headers will pick up the largest horsepower gains for what you are trying to achieve>>>>

This guy is your fav huh?? hahaha

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Hell yeah, he looks like a bad ass!!!! whats yours?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Good post, thats pretty much what I would have said.

No V8 was "meant to have a y-pipe", that is absurd. Any motor with 2 banks will perform better if the exaust is routed in a more efficient manner, such as duals.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

This one hahahahaha!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I dunno-so many funny ones.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Very true.... Very true I try to spread them all out over the treads....

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Im picking up a 2000 WS6 soon and have some money to spend on it. It already has a Borla Catback and High Flow Cat on it. Im looking to get around 400whp but dont really want to put heads on it. I was looking into Cam, Intake Manifold, Intake, TB, Longtubes and removing the cats....as well as a custom dyno tune. Could I see 375-400whp from this? Any recommendations on where to get it tuned? I live in Upstate NY. I was recommended by one local guy to go to the thevettedoctors in Amityville.

Why does nobody like the BBK SSI Intake either? Is it really that bad? I used to be a mustang guy and seen some make good power from them?

Thanks,
    Evan

where in upstate are u located? new era performace in rochester, ny does good work ..they dynotune as well

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Dam that sounds good man where did you pick up your duals from is there a website or store to call??? and do you have any pics you can share so i can see what they look like...?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information