Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

1998 Camaro Z28 Fuel Tank

Hey all
    I Just pulled the tank on my 98 today. The pump went out and I Just got the Racetronix F98 and the harness and am quite impressed. While I was at it I wanted to replace my fuel tank because Ive had problems with filling up and not stopping due to a malfunction of the drain-back valve, and figure a metal tank could use repacement. Ive found OE steel fuel tanks online but say they are for a 1996 and fit all submodels. My question is do 1993-1998 camaros with the metal fuel tanks all interchangable with one another?

Thanks

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

As far as I've read 93-98 are interchangeable steel and 99-02 are interchangeable plastic.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    As far as I've read 93-98 are interchangeable steel and 99-02 are interchangeable plastic.
    ^^^
    same here.

Also If you wanted an bigger tank you can still get a 99-02 fuel tank and install it.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

I cant get a bigger plastic tank cause I have the Racetronix 1998 kit for metal fuel tanks and they differ from 99-02. Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure the metal tanks were all the same before I went and ordered it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

are you sure it's not the vent solenoid sticking and causing your issue? Another tip I would have is to enlarge that opening through the body panel that the filler neck goes through. It's been years so forgive me if my memory is not the greatest but it seems like you took the fender liner out behind the tire and could get to where the neck passes through. I took a dremel and enlarged that hole then painted it to keep it from rusting. Just had to enlarge the rear area of it if my memory serves me correctly. Made that tank just slide right up into place.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Yes exactly i Had to remove the liner, that is quite the idea to make the opening bigger thanks for the tip. What was going on with my tank is if i had the tank near 3/4 or full and made sharp right turns, gas would actually leak through the gas cap out of the filler neck and onto my bumber, so it seems as if my check valve failed. Once my tank was out I could simply turn it upside down to dump all the gas out thru the filler neck. Isnt the check valve there to stop gas from coming out in the case of a rollover? Anyways ive been told you cant replace the vent cause the metal tanks are one piece. So I emptied my gas tank threw the filler neck. I dont know if thats suppose to happen. That was my concern to see if i needed a new tank, all cause gas would leak out the neck.

Thread Information