Results 1 to 14 of 14

160 thermostat ?'s

This is a discussion on 160 thermostat ?'s within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just wondering if it's worth installing one, I have k&n performance kit, exhaust and has been programed....

  1. #1
    Member Lutzfire24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL.
    Posts
    131

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Cool 160 thermostat ?'s

    Just wondering if it's worth installing one, I have k&n performance kit, exhaust and has been programed.

  2. #2
    Member ultra_badass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    257

    navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

    it will make it run cooler...cooler engine more performance i noticed a lil differance

  3. #3
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzfire24 View Post
    Just wondering if it's worth installing one, I have k&n performance kit, exhaust and has been programed.
    you will also need to have the fans turn on earlier to take advantage of the new thermostat

  4. #4
    15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Forest Lake, MN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    488

    maroon
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzfire24 View Post
    Just wondering if it's worth installing one, I have k&n performance kit, exhaust and has been programed.
    You'll have to reprogram the PCM to have the fans kick on at a lower temp in order for it to actually work.

    Yeah, what dude said above me.

  5. #5
    Member Lutzfire24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL.
    Posts
    131

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    you will also need to have the fans turn on earlier to take advantage of the new thermostat
    Thats a problem the car was already programed when I bought it. If I bought a programer I don't know if would work. Does the car have to be back to oem?

  6. #6
    Member ultra_badass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    257

    navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

    if you know who tuned it you could send it back...but you can change the peramiters without installing the tune

  7. #7
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzfire24 View Post
    Thats a problem the car was already programed when I bought it. If I bought a programer I don't know if would work. Does the car have to be back to oem?
    just take it to someone and tell them only to adjust the fan setting the dealer can do that if you don't have a tuner near you

  8. #8
    Member Lutzfire24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL.
    Posts
    131

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    just take it to someone and tell them only to adjust the fan setting the dealer can do that if you don't have a tuner near you
    I'll try that thanks for the info.

  9. #9
    rapter34
    Guest
    what is a good setting for the fans with a 160 deg?

  10. #10
    Member Lutzfire24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL.
    Posts
    131

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    what is a good setting for the fans with a 160 deg?
    I 2nd that!!!

  11. #11
    15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Forest Lake, MN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    488

    maroon
    2000 Z28

    160 degrees

  12. #12
    rapter34
    Guest
    I mean when to turn on and off?

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Thats a discussion we had several months back.

    The LS1 160 stats don't actually operate at 160 degrees like some other aftermarket stats do.

    The LS1 stats actually have a crack open point of around 172 degrees and are fully open around 175-76 degrees.

    With that said it's best to go for a drive with a scanner and watch the engine temp readout. You can see when the stat starts to open,,,,,cruise down the road at a steady state and see where the engine settles in for a temp,,,,,then pick some fan settings just above that so the fans will shut off while the car is moving and won't be running all the time.

    I beleive my car settles in at around 176 degrees on a steady cruise so I have my fan settings coming on around 185 degrees and off at 180 degrees.

    Thats about as good as it gets. Hope that helps.

  14. #14
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats a discussion we had several months back.

    The LS1 160 stats don't actually operate at 160 degrees like some other aftermarket stats do.

    The LS1 stats actually have a crack open point of around 172 degrees and are fully open around 175-76 degrees.

    With that said it's best to go for a drive with a scanner and watch the engine temp readout. You can see when the stat starts to open,,,,,cruise down the road at a steady state and see where the engine settles in for a temp,,,,,then pick some fan settings just above that so the fans will shut off while the car is moving and won't be running all the time.

    I beleive my car settles in at around 176 degrees on a steady cruise so I have my fan settings coming on around 185 degrees and off at 180 degrees.

    Thats about as good as it gets. Hope that helps.
    good advice

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 160 thermostat
    By V8MUSCLE in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
  2. No thermostat?????
    By ggino85 in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
  3. 160 thermostat
    By 13nickels in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM
  4. thermostat mod
    By Brent in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
  5. Thermostat?
    By '00T/A in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 09:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •