Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

160 thermostat FTRA

This is a discussion on 160 thermostat FTRA within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; it sounds like there is difference of opinion on the thermostat. i think i'll give the air kit a chance ...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

it sounds like there is difference of opinion on the thermostat.
    i think i'll give the air kit a chance before i do the thermostat.
    if i need it i can get it later.
    whats the SSRA kit?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    it sounds like there is difference of opinion on the thermostat.
    i think i'll give the air kit a chance before i do the thermostat.
    if i need it i can get it later.
    whats the SSRA kit?
    I have a 160 thermostat in my car but i'm not running cats, it's something I did because the mechanic told me to and I just went along for the ride-haven't found any pros or cons that haven't been counter-argued. Spend the $50 on a nice dinner again both sides have not shown hp increases-unless you talk to slp.
    This is the ssra, he came after the ftra and he has a little "essay" why his is better, I like the fact it goes all the way to the bottom of the car-though I have found I have to be a little more careful when parking on the street pulling into curbs-believe me you won't feel a difference with the ftra or ssra in the studies people have done the difference comes in "hp" when your nearing 100mph on up.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SSRA-...spagenameZWDVW

Yes you will find many varying opinions on thermostats.

I personally prefer the cooler stats. Run them on everything, especially performance oriented stuff.
    With pump gas the way it is today, and only getting worse, the cooler thermostat is just as much of a precaution as it is anything else.
    The cooler temps will allow a tuner to get a little more aggressive with the timing tables and therefore squeak out a bit more power. The cooler engine won't reach detonation as quickly as a hot engine. So for tuning purposes it has it's advantages.

It will also keep other things cool as well, like an automatic transmission, power steering coolers, and everything under the hood is just a bit cooler. Great for cars like these that has nearly everything made of plastic. Less heat soak as well just allows all these brittle parts to last longer.

Alot of ways to look at it. Up to you.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

does the SSRA cause more of a problem with hydrolock?
    i don't drive through flood waters, but 70 in the rain isn't uncommon.
    Any comment?
    Does it just need a block-off in the rain?

The lower the air intake is, the more at risk to high water they are. The only time the free ramair mod or the added ductwork becomes a problem is when people try to drive an already low profile vehicle (some even lower them more) through high water. Most slow down to 10-15 mph and think thats enough, but you would literally have to crawl through it if absolutely necessary. The lower air dam will push the water and more than likely it will splash back with even more force.
    I wouldn't even drive one through any kind of puddled water,,,,period! I'd find an alternative route or find a place to sit for the water to subside.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It can be tricky most say you need to be driving through a real eep puddle for it to get so high it over whelms the filter. The ssra is a 2 piece kit you can install the top half and leave it like that.

Junior Member black transam1218's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

fans

any of you people have problems with fans not comming on? i was sitting at a drive-through and noticed my temp. gauge was almost at 260*. got home let it cool down for awhile. started it back up and temp. stayed steady around 180 but days later temp. went up and pass 210 never heard fans come on. i replaced my thermostat just other day with a 187, didnt help.

ive even seen the temp. gauge at 210 then dropped lower but then got steadly hotter in just a few min. while sitting still.

any thoughts and or help is appreciated.
    thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by black transam1218 View Post
    any of you people have problems with fans not comming on? i was sitting at a drive-through and noticed my temp. gauge was almost at 260*. got home let it cool down for awhile. started it back up and temp. stayed steady around 180 but days later temp. went up and pass 210 never heard fans come on. i replaced my thermostat just other day with a 187, didnt help.

ive even seen the temp. gauge at 210 then dropped lower but then got steadly hotter in just a few min. while sitting still.

any thoughts and or help is appreciated.
    thanks
    Make a new thread so as not to clutter the op's

to answer your question take it to gm and have them get a code scanner if you are throwing a ses light.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

You could buy a manual fan switch that allows it to stay automatic one way but when you flip the switch they are full on. Thats what im doing for car cuz it gets hot sitting in traffic and the staging lanes.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

thanks for the link.
    SSRA should arrive monday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information