Thread: 160 thermostat

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

160 thermostat

Im looking at a few upgrades for my TA. the 160 thermostat is pretty cheap, but what is the advantage of running one over the stock one. i realize it will make the engine run cooler, but how much of a difference will i feel?

Red
    2001 ws6

ur not guna feel any difference........

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    Im looking at a few upgrades for my TA. the 160 thermostat is pretty cheap, but what is the advantage of running one over the stock one. i realize it will make the engine run cooler, but how much of a difference will i feel?
    You will also have to get a tune to turn your fans on earlier or a manual SLP fan control switch or this mod is useless.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i realize that about the fan, i should of worded the question a little better.

ive read online that running cooler is better for power, not life of the engine.

con: running below 212F you will not get hot enough to boil any condensation out of your oil, leaving water in your oil which is never good.

con: a cooler piston will be slightly smaller than it would at normal operating temps. much like on cold days when we start up, lots of piston slap. wouldnt be as bad, but i guess any slap is bad.

pro: perkier throttle response. slightly more power, with fan mod.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

when replacing the thermostat, how much fluid is lost? i just flushed my entire system with new fluid so i wouldnt want to lose it all and i dont see how id catch it in that tight engine bay

2000 Camaro B4C

just drain the coolant into a catchcan of some sort, when its swapped fill it back up with the fluid you took out
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    when replacing the thermostat, how much fluid is lost? i just flushed my entire system with new fluid so i wouldnt want to lose it all and i dont see how id catch it in that tight engine bay
    Go here! http://www.installuniversity.com/ click LSX vehicles, the click install documents on left. scroll down and you will find 160 deg. t-stat in cooling section. You guy's should read because you neeed to be careful about leaving air in the cooling system in aluminum blocks. Especially read the end of step 13, about the air it says "Removing all the air from the cooling system is CRUCIAL for aluminum blocks."
    Last edited by nillam1; 10-01-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Thread Information