Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

160* Thermostat

This is a discussion on 160* Thermostat within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by lonewolf37 The electric pumps will not last as long as a mechanical pump. Mezeire has a two ...

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    The electric pumps will not last as long as a mechanical pump. Mezeire has a two year warranty on their pumps.
    Mine was rebuilt under warranty after one year.
    If you hear the pump getting louder, the seals are going. If you ignore it, the armature is next.
    They do work, just not forever.
    Yep thats why I avoid them on a street car. For the price and short life I don't see it worthwhile. I never had a problem on the race car, but again it was only ran maybe every other weekend,,,and then was parked for the winter season,,,only 3-4 months of good racing weather around here. I ran the car for 2 seasons. So the pump had very few
    hours on it.

There is someone here in town that runs an electric pump on his LT1 F-body,,,,it's a daily driver. He drove the car for the last 1 1/2 years everyday and the pump did go out. But he liked it enough to install another one. But when a mechanical pump can go 10 years or more without issues I tend to put my faith in that for a daily driven car.

I just need to get this underdrive pulley off the car and things will be back to normal.

White
    2001 Z28

I am getting my car ready to race this year. The electric water pump is part of my program.
    I am at 364 RWHP, I will race at that level and see what is possible. Then Procharge and see if I get to the 11s.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

im just wondering... how much of a gain do you see with a 160thermo on an lt1. i want to do it but i wanna know if it's even worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    im just wondering... how much of a gain do you see with a 160thermo on an lt1. i want to do it but i wanna know if it's even worth it.
    I'm not going to say there is an actual HP gain per say,,,but with the engine running at a cooler temp it would allow you to get a little more aggressive with the tune,,,,since cooler temps make the engine more octane tolerable. Cooler engine temps mean cooler underhood temps as well,,,and may help to keep the air intake a little cooler.

I also like the fact that with cooler under hood temps it's just easier on all the plastic and rubber components,,,which these cars nowadays seem to be loaded with.

This may sound like I am getting picky,,,but thats alot of the reasons I like the cooler stats.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

LT1's run has as hell! Put the stat in and get the fan on/off temps adjusted!

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    LT1's run has as hell! Put the stat in and get the fan on/off temps adjusted!
    Do you mean hot as hell???? lol....

It's been years since I installed a 160 in my wifes LT1,,,but I believe it had a 195 in it from the factory. With fans programmed around 220 degrees it was running as hot as my LS1 did.

Now with the 160 stat in the LT1,,,it actually runs much cooler than my LS1. Since as I explained above,,,,the LS1 stats don't really operate in the 160 range,,,,,but the LT1 stats do and I believe I have the fans set on the LT1 at (On 176 degrees,,,,off 170 degree) and it works flawless,,,the motor never gets above 168-169 degrees when it's moving around.

Wish I could say the same for my LS1 though

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

It's been years since I installed a 160 in my wifes LT1,,,but I believe it had a 195 in it from the factory. With fans programmed around 220 degrees it was running as hot as my LS1 did.

Now with the 160 stat in the LT1,,,it actually runs much cooler than my LS1. Since as I explained above,,,,the LS1 stats don't really operate in the 160 range,,,,,but the LT1 stats do and I believe I have the fans set on the LT1 at (On 176 degrees,,,,off 170 degree) and it works flawless,,,the motor never gets above 168-169 degrees when it's moving around.

Yup, thats what I meant! My LS1 doesn't even break a sweat! The LT1 I had ran hot. I put the 160 in and the temp would stay around 180 but as soon as I stopped, it would climb and stay there.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

does that translate to much power difference at all? i could definately see where it would but i don't know. i am guessing maybe 5hp at the most. am i right?

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i think it makes our engines last longer.. maybe but im not so sure about power... it would have to be proven to me that it works because gm designed the ls1 to function best when its warmed up... after all thats whena engine is used most... when its warmed up... so gm designed it to wear the lube for the parts work great at 210 and create max efficiency... so i mean i would like to see dyno proven results... or track proven... just my .02

does that translate to much power difference at all? i could definately see where it would but i don't know. i am guessing maybe 5hp at the most. am i right?
    HP??? maybe,,,,,but what a cooler stat does do is help the engine to be more octane tolerant,,,,which in turn allows you to be a little more aggressive with the tune. In that respect you may see a few HP. It's a fact that the cooler the engine runs the less prone to detonation it is. With that said you can usually squeeze a little more timing in,,,there is a point where the engine will stop making power with more timing,,,but you may never get close to that point with an engine operating at 220 degrees.

I believe the main reason all engines come from the factory with hot thermostats is for emissions reasons,,,to burn off more hydrocarbons.
    That could be an entire book of discussions.

Another reason I like them is for the simple fact that,,,if the engine is running cooler,,,that means cooler under hood temps as well,,,,which is much easier on all the rubber and plastic parts under the hood, belts, hoses, clips, plastic tubing etc....which these cars are stuffed full with. Also with cooler under hood temps I can't help but think that helps to keep the air intake tract cooler as well,,,,,which sits right on top of the radiator,,,and we all know that cool air is dense air,,,and makes more power as well.

This may all sound nit picky to some,,,but it's why I run a cool stat in all my cars.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The stock LS1 stat is 185, not 195 like older LT1's. What the gage is pointing at on your dash is not an accurate measure of temp. It is a glorified idiot light. The 210 mark just happens to be in the middle where it settles.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The stock LS1 stat is 185, not 195 like older LT1's. What the gage is pointing at on your dash is not an accurate measure of temp. It is a glorified idiot light. The 210 mark just happens to be in the middle where it settles.
    Well, 97 and 98 were accurate, whereas 99 up are an idiot gauge

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    A stock LS1 stat is not 185 degrees. It is in fact much hotter. I don't use the gauge on the car,,,,I use HPtuners and can watch the temp gauge accurately in 1 degree increments just as the cars computer is reading it.

The actual crack open point with my stock stat was 193 degrees,,,,then the temp would hover around 196-197 with the stock thermostat. The fans wouldn't come on until 215 degrees,,,which of course wouldn't get that hot unless sitting still. The second fan was even higher yet.

When installing a 160 in the LS1 (which is nothing more than a modified 195 stat with a spacer) you don't actually have an operating temp of 160. Mine now has a crack open point of 172 or 173 degrees,,,,but the engine will run around 176-178 degrees while cruising. So I cannot set the fans any cooler than 180 degrees,,,as the stat doesn't allow the engine to get any colder than 176 degrees,,,,otherwise the fans would never shut off.

This may be what you are experiencing SSTodd. The 160 stats don't actually operate in the range they are advertised as,,,,they in fact work around the 180 range unfortunately.

If you are still running the stock tune,,,and the stock thermostat,,,the engine is definately running in the 200 degree range most all the time.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

not to steal this thread, but my 02 Z consistantly runs cold and only after long drives does it operate at 210ish degrees. I'm wondering if it's gotta 160 thermo or something. Help me out to determine this, as when I've gotta get in my car when it's 20 degrees out I'm shiverring the whole way with barely any heat!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

170 thousand.... stock thermostat or 160 degree????

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

A stock LS1 stat is not 185 degrees. It is in fact much hotter. I don't use the gauge on the car,,,,I use HPtuners and can watch the temp gauge accurately in 1 degree increments just as the cars computer is reading it.

The actual crack open point with my stock stat was 193 degrees,,,,then the temp would hover around 196-197 with the stock thermostat. The fans wouldn't come on until 215 degrees,,,which of course wouldn't get that hot unless sitting still. The second fan was even higher yet.

When installing a 160 in the LS1 (which is nothing more than a modified 195 stat with a spacer) you don't actually have an operating temp of 160. Mine now has a crack open point of 172 or 173 degrees,,,,but the engine will run around 176-178 degrees while cruising. So I cannot set the fans any cooler than 180 degrees,,,as the stat doesn't allow the engine to get any colder than 176 degrees,,,,otherwise the fans would never shut off.

This may be what you are experiencing SSTodd. The 160 stats don't actually operate in the range they are advertised as,,,,they in fact work around the 180 range unfortunately.

If you are still running the stock tune,,,and the stock thermostat,,,the engine is definately running in the 200 degree range most all the time.
    I have a question about this thread...I have read many times that you need to re-program the fans, but how do you do that? Do you have to buy a tuner or is there another way to do it. I would like to put the 160 stat in my Z. Thanks for any help.

black
    1997 camaro z-28/ss

so running a 160 thermostat has to have the computer reflashed?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Im running a new 185 degree thermo and its perfect, I wouldnt run a 160 on a stock engine as you need a good operating temp to keep everything working good. Only heavily modded applications is when id run a cooler thermostat because of the excessive heat that can be gained. I replaced my factory pump at 90k miles w/ a high performance mechanical pump when it finally went bad along with the thermostat.
    Last edited by Demon_Z28; 02-10-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

ok kind of a question, I live in South Dakota and about now its cold as hell here, some days the car wont go over 150-160 degrees, but other days it will warm up to its 210 and stay right there. Is there somthing wrong or a 160-180 without fans reprogramed?

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 97 SS View Post
    so running a 160 thermostat has to have the computer reflashed?
    You don't have to have the computer reflashed,,,but it would be best to. With stock fan setting your engine will only run at or near that 160 stat as long as the car is moving. Once you are in traffic or sitting still the engine will still creep up to the 220 degree mark where the fans will kick on. It will just take a little longer to get there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information