Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Z06 Vs Skyline GTR

Anyone read the Road and Track with this comparision, of course the 911 turbo was in there too. Anyone else find it to be complete bullS#*t? I have a conspiracy theory here. Many auto mags always say whatever the new car is, it's the best, no matter what. They tend to favor imports heavily, and I think it's unjustified most of the time. Even with AWD and using a semi auto tranny, I don't see the GTR truly being a better track car. In fact the only part I would believe is that it slaloms better. The Z06 is 600 pounds lighter at least, 20 more N/A hp, pulls the same skidpad, and stops faster. Yet somehow they claim they average over 4mph faster in the skyline around the track... No way, I truly think they want the skyline to win when they begin testing. I'm not just saying it because I'm a chevy guy, I've seen it happen to ford's and I don't like ford's.

To sum up= Magazine are biased.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by 001CamaroSS View Post
    Anyone read the Road and Track with this comparision, of course the 911 turbo was in there too. Anyone else find it to be complete bullS#*t? I have a conspiracy theory here. Many auto mags always say whatever the new car is, it's the best, no matter what. They tend to favor imports heavily, and I think it's unjustified most of the time. Even with AWD and using a semi auto tranny, I don't see the GTR truly being a better track car. In fact the only part I would believe is that it slaloms better. The Z06 is 600 pounds lighter at least, 20 more N/A hp, pulls the same skidpad, and stops faster. Yet somehow they claim they average over 4mph faster in the skyline around the track... No way, I truly think they want the skyline to win when they begin testing. I'm not just saying it because I'm a chevy guy, I've seen it happen to ford's and I don't like ford's.

To sum up= Magazine are biased.
    easier to push a gtr to its limits around a track.......put mario andretti in both cars and the z06 would likely win......i am starting to get excited to see more of this car though......looking to be quite a performer for 80k.....the numbers stilll dont add up to me..but we will see when its finially sold in the us

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

No question to me, Skyline is a nice car, and I think it is in large part to the awd and the tip tranny that it would be so good around the track. Just dumb to me because I am sure these people who test drive cars regularly should be able to get close to maximum performance out of any car. To me, I could see close track times, but Z06 should win, it didn't, but again like you said with better drivers maybe, it should be winning.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Here we go again! I'm sure the new knight rider car would kill both though.

white
    2000 Z28

No question to me, Skyline is a nice car, and I think it is in large part to the awd and the tip tranny that it would be so good around the track. Just dumb to me because I am sure these people who test drive cars regularly should be able to get close to maximum performance out of any car. To me, I could see close track times, but Z06 should win, it didn't, but again like you said with better drivers maybe, it should be winning.
    not trying to be a dick or anything but it is not a skyline. it is a GT-R. i havent read anything about the new car being a skyline or even referred to being a skyline in print. the specs posted in motor trends article are not proven facts. and from what i remember (correct me if im wrong) the designer of the gt-r posted those specs to be his goal when the car releases. i dont remember it saying anything about a full on numbers test on that car. i personally am not real big into the hype of this car and who knows its output could possibly even pass the designers goal, but i have argued with my cousin (ricer) countless times and showed him countless time, in the text of the motor trend article, that this car is not a proven vehicle. besides the Z06 is only top dog until the ZR1 releases which by the specs put out (and to my knowledge not proven yet either) would make the v-6, that should have stayed and inline 6 imo, shit bricks. but remember all of this info is TO MY KNOWLEDGE, as of the last time i was forced to prove my cousin wrong, which was about a month and a half ago from now.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    not trying to be a dick or anything but it is not a skyline. it is a GT-R. i havent read anything about the new car being a skyline or even referred to being a skyline in print. the specs posted in motor trends article are not proven facts. and from what i remember (correct me if im wrong) the designer of the gt-r posted those specs to be his goal when the car releases. i dont remember it saying anything about a full on numbers test on that car. i personally am not real big into the hype of this car and who knows its output could possibly even pass the designers goal, but i have argued with my cousin (ricer) countless times and showed him countless time, in the text of the motor trend article, that this car is not a proven vehicle. besides the Z06 is only top dog until the ZR1 releases which by the specs put out (and to my knowledge not proven yet either) would make the v-6, that should have stayed and inline 6 imo, shit bricks. but remember all of this info is TO MY KNOWLEDGE, as of the last time i was forced to prove my cousin wrong, which was about a month and a half ago from now.

they raced it around that nurmburg track and it ran a better time than the z06 .......believe it was nissan that did the test though not an independent..some ricer should chime in soon to answer that for us

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Even if it does happen to be faster than the Z06 around the track, I highly doubt it's going to be faster than the ZR1. ZR1 is projected to be around 625 hp when it comes out.. GT-R is in the same hp range projected right? I think both cars looks great, but I'd take the 'vette anyday.

My 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6... ASC# 1244 ... Born on June 23, 2001

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

They raced the actual car against a z06 and 911 turbo as of this month. That's what I'm saying, check out road and track. They posted at the end that the z06 does everything other than slalom better, but then the skyline as they said, "Spanked" them around the track. I think it's bull and driver counts for too much of it since the skyline is awd and auto, I think if they had a better driver the z06 should have beat it around a track. Also this is IMO. The GTR number is 480hp officially and over 3800 pounds. Don't see this test being accurate. Also, for the record R&T shows z06 skidpad doesn't break 1G, not only can I vouch that it does, but so does every other magazine in the world. I just lost a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Not that it matters anyways, I think people who buy imports, not everyone, but the people who say american cars are unreliable aka 80% of the population now are uneducated and a disgrace!

black
    07 z06

They raced the actual car against a z06 and 911 turbo as of this month. That's what I'm saying, check out road and track. They posted at the end that the z06 does everything other than slalom better, but then the skyline as they said, "Spanked" them around the track. I think it's bull and driver counts for too much of it since the skyline is awd and auto, I think if they had a better driver the z06 should have beat it around a track. Also this is IMO. The GTR number is 480hp officially and over 3800 pounds. Don't see this test being accurate. Also, for the record R&T shows z06 skidpad doesn't break 1G, not only can I vouch that it does, but so does every other magazine in the world. I just lost a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Not that it matters anyways, I think people who buy imports, not everyone, but the people who say american cars are unreliable aka 80% of the population now are uneducated and a disgrace!
    well said.the rag hyped about a spanking so i read it but stopped before the ring,i had enuf.i dont drive the ring but live in the world where there are stop lights etc and i plan on putting kill icons on my fenders.i have no pity for the buyers when i wack them,they are in for a nasty surprise when they roll up to me.bring it on

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by extanker View Post
    well said.the rag hyped about a spanking so i read it but stopped before the ring,i had enuf.i dont drive the ring but live in the world where there are stop lights etc and i plan on putting kill icons on my fenders.i have no pity for the buyers when i wack them,they are in for a nasty surprise when they roll up to me.bring it on
    nice!! get some video footage!!!........im really hoping for the same thing here....dont think id have any trouble at all handing one there ass from a roll race or a stop light race ( on a hot day!!)

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

who the fuck races these cars around a track anyways?
    who cares if this car is slightly faster than this car in a circle.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

The GT-R I think would be easier to drive fast than the Z06 with the torque splitting AWD and slick transmission. It has driver aids that the Z06 does not. Just about everyone agrees that the Z is a real handfull on a track and it takes a high level of skill to balance it on the knife's edge and turn a fast lap.

About the Nurburgring lap, I read somewhere online that the GT-R was wearing a race compound and some basic weight reduction was done (!Spare, etc.) during the lap whereas the Z06 was all stock, including runflats. It may have been corvetteforums that I read this, it was some time ago.

From a buyer's standpoint I could see more utility from the GT-R being a 2+2, can be driven all year long given the AWD, and tuner friendly with the FI. But in all fairness I don't see the same customer holding a Z06 in one hand and the GT-R in the other trying to decide between the two. Different cars for different people.

Z06 FTW! (I am biased though)

IT IS NOT BS! IT IS NOT BIAS!

The GT-R is UNDERRATED! It puts out well over 550bhp. It laid down 430whp in 4th gear on a DJ!!! you people are in serious denial... seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    who the fuck races these cars around a track anyways?
    who cares if this car is slightly faster than this car in a circle.
    And who drag races? North Americans...

And what pride do you get from going fast in a straight line? It doesn't exactly take an engineering degree to create a straight line monster. A track (NOT DRAG) is the true test of a car. Do you see Ferraris only racing in a straight line? What about Formula one? This is why domestics and their owners get a bad rep...

From Motor Trend:

Well, if it's 480 as claimed, the power lost to heat and friction in the drivetrain amounts to just 10.3 percent.

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by joebangaa View Post
    And who drag races? North Americans...

And what pride do you get from going fast in a straight line? It doesn't exactly take an engineering degree to create a straight line monster. A track (NOT DRAG) is the true test of a car. Do you see Ferraris only racing in a straight line? What about Formula one? This is why domestics and their owners get a bad rep...
    And what Z06 doesn't handle better than basically any import??? Most notably under 100K? There's about 2 potentially on par with it, and guess what, they have to be awd just to match it

And what Z06 doesn't handle better than basically any import??? Most notably under 100K? There's about 2 potentially on par with it, and guess what, they have to be awd just to match it
    Who says they have to be? Nissan gave it AWD to stay consistent with the Skyline lineage. I wouldn't be surprised if a RWD platform with the same drivetrain "spanked" a vette any harder.

Haven't you ever thought about what would happen if Honda or Nissan built a 7L performance v8 w/ DOHC and 32 valves??

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Probably nothing lol. Chevrolet could have put more performance in the 7.0 too, there's reasons they don't...reliability, government regulations, gas guzzler etc.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

GT-R is a badass car for sure, but lets see the same driver with great experience take both around the track and see who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    GT-R is a badass car for sure, but lets see the same driver with great experience take both around the track and see who wins.
    It's already been done...

Thread Information