Red?
    2001 Z28

Which year and trim to buy?

Hello everyone. I have an '01 Z28 that's stock except for a K & N FIPK and a Vigilante. I had planned on building a big cubed, turboed, and forged LSX motor for this car, but I have since reconsidered. I considered that if I'm going to spend alot of money on an engine, why not put it in a Vette, especially considering the car's superior braking and handling. Initially I considered going for a C6 ZO6, but I've since decided on a C5 car. I thought of going for a C5 ZO6, but I'm dead set on an auto-equipped car, as quarter mile performance is of paramount importance to me. One of my biggest concerns, is I want to keep the curb weight down. I know the ZO6s are the lightest, stock, but which available trim level is the closest in weight to the ZO6? Also, which year to go for? I'm not concerned about slight horsepower differences between the years, since I'll be modifying it anyways. With weight concerns topping my list, are there any other differences between the '97 and later models that should lead me to steer clear of the earlier models in favor of the later ones. This is significant, because I know of several low mileage '97-'00 cars that are very nice, and very reasonably priced. Thank you very much for your input.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

The coupe is about 1-2lb. lighter than the convertible depending on which year. The FRC in '99 and 2000 is about 80lb. lighter than the coupe and convertible but they only came in a manual. If you are going to use it for drag racing and have to have an auto. then I would definitely get a coupe. I would try to get the newest one you could afford with the least amount of miles on it.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I know this is an older thread but I'm crossing that same line right now myself and wanted to chime in. After dumping so much $ into my Z and the goal being to get LS7-like power, the thought of having to replace the tranny, rearend, etc. has discouraged me. The F-body platform as great as it is, is in a different class than the Y-body.

I've stopped my modding and I'm saving for an C6 Z. It will be a couple years from now but once the C7 is on the way and the new ZR-1 I am sure there will be many well cared for C6Z's hitting the market.

Did you end up getting anything yet? I'd post this question on corvetteforums.com

Good luck!

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    I know this is an older thread but I'm crossing that same line right now myself and wanted to chime in. After dumping so much $ into my Z and the goal being to get LS7-like power, the thought of having to replace the tranny, rearend, etc. has discouraged me. The F-body platform as great as it is, is in a different class than the Y-body.

I've stopped my modding and I'm saving for an C6 Z. It will be a couple years from now but once the C7 is on the way and the new ZR-1 I am sure there will be many well cared for C6Z's hitting the market.

Did you end up getting anything yet? I'd post this question on corvetteforums.com

Good luck!

Ive already seen several C6 Z06's for sale in the mid to high 50's and I think as soon as the SS/Blue Devil/ZR-1 comes out there will be more Z06's available at an even lower price. Thats what Im waiting on.

And its www.corvetteforum.com

Thread Information