pewter
    99 vette

when I come back from Iraq....

I plan on doing cam/heads/intake and some other supporting mods. Iv'e been looking at the trick flow head and cam packages in summit. Can someone suggest to me which one to get? I was leaning towards the mildest one since the car is a driver but it will see the track from time to time. I might be doing a 383 in the future so I'm wondering if these heads will flow enough on a stroker. Also will I have to upgrade the fuel system on the stock engine? I guess I will need a tune as well, some of this stuff will be challenging because I am in Germany. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

pewter
    99 vette

here is the kit im speaking of...

I tried researching on here for anyone that may have some info or insight about this kit but have come up empty handed. Here is the link to the one I was looking at. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade the fuel system if I do this and if there is anything else I will need besides a better intake and a pcm reflash to make it run right? I'm about ready to start ordering stuff so I don't have to wait for it in the mail when I get home I can just get started on it right away.

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....0&autoview=sku

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

For heads/cam package you will not have to upgrade fuel you will have to tune the car though. Depending on what you have already and how much you have to spend this is what you would need to get a good build..FAST 90/90 set up-Headers-full exhaust- heads/cam package and a tune that will really wake it up!
    Shawn
    Daily: 2003 MY Z06 D1SC | Toy: 2006 Hayabusa Garrett T-3 | Hauler: 2007 Nissan Titan LE CC
    I like being Blown!!

pewter
    99 vette

I'm a little nervous cuz Iv'e never torn down an LS1, I have done a few head/cam and intake swaps on 5 liter mustangs but they are pretty easy, I guess I should get a new timing chain for this one while I'm at it, the car has 65,000 miles on it. Hopefully I can get a good tune in the mail cuz I'm in Germany and dyno shops are few and far from where I live. I was planning on long tubes and a fast intake, any recommendations on the throttle body size? What about the factory mass air meter? Will it support these mods or should I step up in size?

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

I did a cam swap on my TA was pretty simple there are tons of write up on how to do it. Seems as though you have the mechanical know how and it shouldnt be a problem for you.

I upgraded to the 90mm intake and throttle body, my car has a SD tune so no MAF is required. In your case Im not 100% sure if you have to upgrade the MAF to 90MM Im going with my gut feeling to say yes you will but not 100% sure. Your factory MAF will support the mods your planning easily.

If your going to fork out the cash for a FAST might as well get a 90mm, find out if you have to swap the MAF and go from there. If your not already slide over to corvetteforum.com I know they have some very knowledgable Vette guys with much more experience then I and could answer the MAF question right off the bat.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

How are smog laws in Germany-I guess are long tubes even legal? The trickflow is a great package but I am more money privy (cheap if you will). If you want power you will lose mpg it's the name of the game and most cams you will only lose city mpg and retain highway mpg. You can keep the stocker for up to 500whp, if you want the slp maf is 85mm and I have seen them used on corvettes with a&a vortech superchargers pushing well over 500whp-so yah get a tune. That 216/220 is a pussy cam.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

hey machwon and hello from the north. from the way you write, i suspect you're stationed in germany and have american plates.
    if you're german though, you should carefully check the chances and cost of making this project street legal.

pewter
    99 vette

Yes, I am a soldier stationed in Germany as far as American plates go they aren't doing that anymore, I have the same plates as any german and there is no more USA stamping on them anymore. With my mustang I had no problem passing inspection without cats and the factory smog pump. I have never seen anyone fail an inspection here because they have removed any of it yet. That is not to say that things could change but I havent seen it yet. I would like to keep the car smog legal because I don't want to have to change anything when I get back to the states. I really want to keep this car N/A. I know there is great power to be had with a s/c setup but its just not for me. I have been eyeballing the fast intake and might get one of those and some long tubes to start with, really want a cam and some heads just don't know which ones to go with.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i didn't know they changed the plate rules for you guys. but i'm surprised that it's possible to pass emissions in germany without cats, they are usually very strict about it. and the inspection is always with a sniffer. might have found a shop with a sort of "loose attitude" though...

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

yea when i was there mid 90 I had some ghey ass plates..I always liked the german plates...inspection was pretty easy too, wonder if they have gotten stricter. If you want a H/C package check out Vengenance Racing they have some nice packages along with LG, Lethal,and various other online speed shops. You could also wait till you get back and have the work done here and tuned properly. mail order tunes can/will work but you wont get it dialed in really unless you have it on a dyno or street tune. GL on whatever route you decide to go...

pewter
    99 vette

your probably right about waiting til I get back to the states it could turn into a real headache. Could you tell me what mods I could get away with doing without a tune? I'm wondering if I could do an intake and long tubes using the factory tune? Also concerning the sniffer tests in germany they do not do those on our cars, our registration offices are on US installations and we are exempt from the sniffer.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by MachWon View Post
    your probably right about waiting til I get back to the states it could turn into a real headache. Could you tell me what mods I could get away with doing without a tune? I'm wondering if I could do an intake and long tubes using the factory tune? Also concerning the sniffer tests in germany they do not do those on our cars, our registration offices are on US installations and we are exempt from the sniffer.
    You can get away with headers and an ls-6 manifold without a tune(The ls-6 doesn't make more power than the ls-1 until 3500rpm which is why you can probably get away w/o the tune) A Fast manifold might be much w/o a tune and is definatley not something you should get before heads and cam. What state are you moving back too, that will pretty much determine wether or not your getting longtubes, and if that is the case a cheater cam is in order with a compression not going over 11-1.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Also concerning the sniffer tests in germany they do not do those on our cars, our registration offices are on US installations and we are exempt from the sniffer.
    ok, that explains it. otherwise, no way around the sniffer.

having everything done in the states will be cheaper for sure.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I plan on doing cam/heads/intake and some other supporting mods. Iv'e been looking at the trick flow head and cam packages in summit. Can someone suggest to me which one to get? I was leaning towards the mildest one since the car is a driver but it will see the track from time to time. I might be doing a 383 in the future so I'm wondering if these heads will flow enough on a stroker. Also will I have to upgrade the fuel system on the stock engine? I guess I will need a tune as well, some of this stuff will be challenging because I am in Germany. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Get the 515 Kit. The cam is not that big and makes for an easy daily driver. You can leave evrything stock, you just wont get the max power from the kit. A tune will be nessecary though. If I were you, I would install the 515 Kit, get a tune, then when you get the money...start the supporting mods such as headers, intake, and so on!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

sorry, didnt read the post. thanks for keeping us safe.

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Get the 515 Kit. The cam is not that big and makes for an easy daily driver. You can leave evrything stock, you just wont get the max power from the kit. A tune will be nessecary though. If I were you, I would install the 515 Kit, get a tune, then when you get the money...start the supporting mods such as headers, intake, and so on!
    ok, thank you for the advice, I will definitley consider that kit, I thought that it would be more of a top end kit and not street freindly thats why I was originally looking at the 485 kit. I talked to frost about getting a tune for the car, they said they could hook me up with something to get it running but I would still need to find a place in Germany and get a custom tune with a wideband, there are a few places I know of there that can do it but they are a pretty good distance from where I live. As far as where I'm going back in the states I really have no idea. Iv'e moved around so much the past 6 years there is no telling. I would like to keep this car though and would be willing to replace everything back to stock if need be. Thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it. Any other advice is welcomed. Thanks again.

Thread Information