Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What justifies the price on these cars?

I am NOT bashing vettes at all i like them, but i am curious as to what you guys think justifies the price of them, if you think about it for half the price you could buy an f-body or GTO and have room for passengers not just one person. THen you could take the money and mod them and make them quicker than vettes and still not spend as much. now again im NOT bashing them i just want to see why you guys think vettes are worth the price tag. keep in mind i have never driven one so maybe thats why, but ive driven some cars that handle pretty damn good. please discuss this topic and tell why you think a vette is worth the price. PS im talking about lets say 98-03 vettes VS an f-body or GTO. thanks guys

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    I am NOT bashing vettes at all i like them, but i am curious as to what you guys think justifies the price of them, if you think about it for half the price you could buy an f-body or GTO and have room for passengers not just one person. THen you could take the money and mod them and make them quicker than vettes and still not spend as much. now again im NOT bashing them i just want to see why you guys think vettes are worth the price tag. keep in mind i have never driven one so maybe thats why, but ive driven some cars that handle pretty damn good. please discuss this topic and tell why you think a vette is worth the price. PS im talking about lets say 98-03 vettes VS an f-body or GTO. thanks guys
    Because it's vette, simply put. It's not an f-body or GTO

It's just a Corvette

NBM
    99 TA

what justifies a 10 dollar bill being worth more than a 5 dollar bill... they're both made of the same paper

stupid question right?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

people who buy vettes generally dont worry about the price tag.
    people buy vettes because they like them just like you liked the WS6, its that simple.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    what justifies a 10 dollar bill being worth more than a 5 dollar bill... they're both made of the same paper

stupid question right?
    why buy coca cola rather than generic cola?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

It's a vette thing. The Corvette represents america to the world. It's a top sport car rich in tradition, and well deserved of all the accolades
    The Corvette will always be among the top sport cars in the world, and now since the introduction of the Z06 -up to this date- and the new ZR1, the legend will continue...
    Is it worth the price? You betcha'! You can mod any GTO, Fbody, Mustang to whatever you want, but still not a vette, know what I mean?
    I'm an fbody fan, having owned 3 Camaros in my lifetime, but I love my Z06

What other car in the Corvette class can you get for 50 grand new, and at around mid 20's for a used C5-Z06 or mid 50's for a C6-Z06?
    When you drive one, you'll buy one
    2007 Audi RS 4

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

you need to drive one for a day. i think then you will have a better understanding..

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

vette vs. f body

I own a 2000 corvette and a 2002 WS6 Firebird. I love both of the cars. But.......... The corvette is waaaaayyyy more of a car. The corvette has thousands upon thousands of engineering hours spent on it to make sure that it stays the #1 domestic sports car! The corvette is like sitting in a rocket, it handles much better, power delivery is much smoother, and it is more aerodynamic than an f-body (Which yields better fuel mileage, high speed driveability, and handling). The corvette has 4 wheel independent suspension, has over 25 on board computers (electronic everything) compared to the f-body's 3 computers. Not to mention a corvette has almost PERFECT weight distribution.

F-bodys are great cars, but not even close to being the same veh.

NOTE: I am a Master Certified GM Technician

Quote Originally Posted by vette&ws6 View Post
    I own a 2000 corvette and a 2002 WS6 Firebird. I love both of the cars. But.......... The corvette is waaaaayyyy more of a car. The corvette has thousands upon thousands of engineering hours spent on it to make sure that it stays the #1 domestic sports car! The corvette is like sitting in a rocket, it handles much better, power delivery is much smoother, and it is more aerodynamic than an f-body (Which yields better fuel mileage, high speed driveability, and handling). The corvette has 4 wheel independent suspension, has over 25 on board computers (electronic everything) compared to the f-body's 3 computers. Not to mention a corvette has almost PERFECT weight distribution.

Thanks i was looking for an answer like that. i am considering buying a vette but i kind of want to be persuaded why they are worth so much more than the f-bodies. thanks for that description. whats the quickest you think a vette can take a 90 degree turn? in a buddies fiero we did at 90 and fishtailed a little but not much.. i know vettes and fieros are supposedly in competition with each other in the handling aspect for auto cross

2000 Corvette

IMHO straightline performance is actually too close to call, once you start adding twisties, the Vette shines!!

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

vette handling.....

I could not tell you how fast a vette could take a 90 degree corner, there are just too many variables that come into play. IE..... what kind of road surface, how much bank, how hot/cold the road surface is, etc. Not to mention what kind of tires and how wide the tires are on the vehicle.

I can tell you that a stock vette has 245's on the front and 275's on the back and they handle pretty good. However, I installed 275's on the front and 335's on the back of mine and the thing handles like its on rails!

Navy Blue Metalic
    1998 Z28

For years I had the same thoughts that I could modify my Z28 for much less than the cost of a Corvette. That is still true, but now that I have bought a Corvette I'm sold on them.

The Z51 is simply way more automobile than the Z28. I love driving the vette and have put 6000+ miles on it since I got it in early December. The driving experience is far far better, IMHO.
    Bob Lassetter
    1998 Navy Blue Z28 6M
    2008 Black Z51 6A

2000pontiac6
    If you think about it its really not that expensive in comparison with exotic cars... Now the vette is very capable with competing with porsche's and other highly reputable sports cars but at a fraction of their cost. Hell the new ZR1 is going to be close to 100 grand but thats still far cheaper than a ferrari which is more than double or lambo which is probalby closer to three times the amount.

Bowling Green Metallic
    2000, Corvette

I owned a modified '98 SS (360-rwhp) and loved that car dearly. It was the car I had pined after since I was in high school nearly 10 years before I bought the car.
    Unfortunately someone hit me and killed the car.

I bought a used 2000 C5 and would not consider going back to the F-body. I'm older now and my tastes are more...snooty. Seriously, the Corvette's interior is by no means luxurious, but it is of a higher quality and much more aesthetically pleasing than my Camaro. My F-body was great, but it had short-comings. To have it handle really well meant a very harsh ride. The C5 handles quite well (especially if you put non-runflat tires on) and the ride is still very comfortable (similar ride to my early 90's Accord). I don't know of any short-comings of a C5 other than the "Corvette-tax" for modified parts.

When people hear I drive a Vette, they think I'm rich, arrogant, and sexy. (none of which are true!!)
    When people heard I drove a Camaro, they thought I was a young hellacious boy that spent more money on my car than I did on my trailer. (also not true - I'm just a married guy with 2 great kids that likes sports cars)

So there are negative stereotypes about both cars.

Lastly, in my opinion, the Vette looks much, much better from the exterior. And though the targa top is harder to remove than the t-tops, I like the way it looks better too.

I can't stand pop-up headlights and I could really use a backseat for the kids. Because of this, I'll be seriously considering the new Camaro after it debuts - depending on its gas mileage.

Another question.. im 6"5 tall.. would i fit in a vette do you think?

Bowling Green Metallic
    2000, Corvette

You would probably fit as well in a Corvette as you do in the firebird.

I'm surprised you can fit into any sports car. I usually think of 6'3 or 6'4 as being the limit.

Electron Blue
    2003 Z06

I've owned the following cars:

'88 V6 Firebird
    '88 C4 L98 A4 Vette
    '90 C4 L98 M6 Convertible
    '87 Trans Am GTA A4
    '93 Z28 A4
    '97 Z28 M6
    '92 Dodge Stealth TT AWD
    '96 WS-6 LT1 A4
    '05 SRT-4

And the latest: '03 Z06.

By far the cars I loved the most were the '88 Vette w/removable roof, '90 Vette 'vert, and now the Z06.

I am never going back to another car, sticking with Vettes from now on, even if I have to buy them used for the rest of my life .

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Wonder Twin Powers Deactivate

Quote Originally Posted by FASST LN View Post
    I can't stand pop-up headlights and I could really use a backseat for the kids. Because of this, I'll be seriously considering the new Camaro after it debuts - depending on its gas mileage.
    Well replied there buddy!!!

Yah, I'm with you on this when it comes to the New Camaro..... 2 + 2 Couple

I thought it was odd when you mentioned owning a Vette and having two children......... no wonder people have Vette are either single or have grown up children huh? You just can't be at the in between stage of life and driving a Vette, especially with it being your Daily Driver.

The New Camaro is looking very attractive to me because it has Cylinder Deactivation...... given that it's a fuel consumption monster prior to purchase, it's not a necessary that we always need the acceleration power!

Good day,
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Great answer! Couldn't have said it better. I drive both and the cars very different. But they are both fun cars to drive.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

No further answers needed in this thread, perfect answer
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Thread Information