Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What justifies the price on these cars?

This is a discussion on What justifies the price on these cars? within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Great, now i want a vette...

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Great, now i want a vette

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

lol me 2 :P, but Ill wait and see if they make a new T/A in 2010 :O
    And this is what we should tell GM to make it look like!

yellow
    1998 Trans AM WS6

Good answers so far, but nobody mentioned that part of the expense is because of lower production numbers of the Corvette. The price has to be higher for GM to make it profitable.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

SWeet lookin T/A there! Nice avatar also

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i just love the ride and feel of the vette but i have kids so i have the same motor and tranny of the as the vette in my firehawk.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I..... love..... my corvette. Other people have their prejudices. Most of them are bad and I don't give a damn, but I can say from experience that some girls are attracted to guys with vettes, which is a good thing.

I didn't buy it to impress or antagonize others, though; I really couldn't give a damn. I just enjoy driving it. It so often puts a smile on my face for no reason to speak of.

I've been modifying my mustang since I bought it. I love that car too, and I am happy with the fulfillment I get from creating something unique. However, I must say that while I often ponder modification for the vette, when I realize how much I already enjoy it, I realize that it just doesn't need anything. I don't think those modifications would make me any happier. I don't take the vette out to race people, though I will race if the right situation presents itself. I love the way I sit down so low and a little more reclined than in other cars. I'm 6'4" and the car fits me like a glove - the shifter and positioning of the peddles is perfect. For long cross-country trips I can put the car in 6th and it basically idles at highway speeds so softly you can barely hear anything. Then with the cruise on, I just stretch my legs out passed the pedals and turn on some good music and relax.

If laws weren't so tough and fines weren't so high I'd feel perfectly at ease on the interstate at well over 100 mph. The car is so stable and the engine at low rpm is so undertaxed that it's hard to tell you're going faster than you should be. I once did a several hundred mile stretch of interstate with the cruise set at 100, and wouldn't you know it, I got 20mpg average at that speed (it may have been 22, but my memory is a bit fuzzy now)! Isn't that amazing? It is to me.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 03-13-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

As some of the others have stated, (in my opinion) it's simply a car with a MUCH better build. Both Corvettes and F-Bodys offer exceptionally good straight line acceleration (thanks due in part to a wonderful powerplant from the folks at GM), however the Corvette is better suited to offer a more complete package (handling, driver comfort, etc.).

As for being 6'5".....I'm 6'5" and I have both a Corvette and an SS and fit perfectly in both. The Corvette fits me like a glove; the SS does afford me a bit of extra room. Only time being 6'5" in those cars really becomes a problem is when you have to wear a helmet at the track....clearance does become a bit of an issue!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, I took a 2000 and a 2002 Vette out before my Camaro and loved the Camaro much better. All were M6's, I could afford all 3 and my Camaro by far felt the fastest. Shit last summer I road raced a C6 and only lost by about a car length. Its all in the driver, I am not the best but am super far from the worst and can push my car to run with Vettes of a similiar range. Obviously a Z06 is another story and when modding it changes. If it floats your boat then get what you want, I think SS and WS6 are rare compared to a everyday C5. When I see a C5 I think poor mans vette. They don't look as good as a SS or a WS6 but that is my opinion. Just my .02
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Corvettes are better.
    Two more reasons - #1. girls/women like Vettes better #2. Vettes hold their value better, and will probably be worth more in the future.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I will agree with holding the value. I love when people say women like vettes better hahahah I don't want to be with a girl that likes me because of my car. I could care less, I drive what I drive because I like it. Now when I marry (or if I) marry my girlfriend then I will give her a little say (not a lot) just a little say on what I drive. But I agree totally on the value thing. But then again I don't buy a car to make money if you do your an idiot. (Warning: you can make money off cars but there are better ways)

Example 03 C5, 100 years from now worth money
    Example 02 Annv. SS , 100 years from now worth more

That is if all numbers are matching and the world is still here 100 years from now.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by track 'bird View Post
    Good answers so far, but nobody mentioned that part of the expense is because of lower production numbers of the Corvette. The price has to be higher for GM to make it profitable.
    the vette for years has been one of the most profitable cars for gm.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    When I see a C5 I think poor mans vette.
    huh, a C5 is a vette.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Another question.. im 6"5 tall.. would i fit in a vette do you think?
    kind of off topic but my buddy is 6'10" and you should have seen him when he sat in the drivers seat of my ws6. now that was funny , with the seat all the way back his knees were right against the lower dash. it was even funnier watching him try to get out.lol

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

I will agree with holding the value. I love when people say women like vettes better hahahah I don't want to be with a girl that likes me because of my car. I could care less, I drive what I drive because I like it. Now when I marry (or if I) marry my girlfriend then I will give her a little say (not a lot) just a little say on what I drive. But I agree totally on the value thing. But then again I don't buy a car to make money if you do your an idiot. (Warning: you can make money off cars but there are better ways)

That is if all numbers are matching and the world is still here 100 years from now.
    shit i give my wife no say on what her or i drive, she either has to drive a gm or a bicycle. lol, hope she doesnt read this. haha

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Passing it On-

The majority of the working vehicle will probably worth something in a 100 years if it's operational.... but then again, you won't be the one obtaining the apreciation for you will not be around!!!!!

Honestly, I don't think any should be paying for a vehicle that they are not driving or enjoying. Collectibles should also be driven, imagine having a garage with 20 vehicles of all make and not driving a single one of them, then you bite the dust. What's the worth of that, unless you are looking to pass the vehicle on to your offsprings.

Awesome!!

Matthew-

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

By C5 poor mans vette, I mean I don't give a C5 another look. I usually think someone couldn't afford a Z06 and just bought what they can afford being the base model. If you are buying a vette there is no reason to not get the Z06 unless you can't afford it, it is better is every aspect of performance and styling. Thats what I mean about that. And with the person saying you should drive what you own, I AGREE SO MUCH. My friends tell me all the time, "Damn for letting your car sit all winter it has alot of miles." I then respond with "I bought the car to enjoy not to let it sit every minute." I am not saying the base model is junk because I would take one over a mustang any day of the week, I just don't like them and think they are over priced. I am glad I never bought the 01 I had papers filled out for.

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Thanks i was looking for an answer like that. i am considering buying a vette but i kind of want to be persuaded why they are worth so much more than the f-bodies. thanks for that description. whats the quickest you think a vette can take a 90 degree turn? in a buddies fiero we did at 90 and fishtailed a little but not much.. i know vettes and fieros are supposedly in competition with each other in the handling aspect for auto cross
    You can't compare a fiero to a vette. Lighter cars with less power do much better at auto cross. Bring them both to a road course where the corner speeds are much higher and the vette will blow the fiero away. Vette's are just much better handling cars then f-bodies and like the other poster said the engineering that goes into them just can't be compared to an fbody. Plus it's a vette and there is just something about them.

Well, I took a 2000 and a 2002 Vette out before my Camaro and loved the Camaro much better. All were M6's, I could afford all 3 and my Camaro by far felt the fastest. Shit last summer I road raced a C6 and only lost by about a car length. Its all in the driver, I am not the best but am super far from the worst and can push my car to run with Vettes of a similiar range. Obviously a Z06 is another story and when modding it changes. If it floats your boat then get what you want, I think SS and WS6 are rare compared to a everyday C5. When I see a C5 I think poor mans vette. They don't look as good as a SS or a WS6 but that is my opinion. Just my .02
    It's not all in the driver. Sure a really good driver can over come a bad driver in a better car. I do that all the time. However you put a good driver in that C6 and your toast. A non ZO6 corvette is still a far superior handling car then an f-body. Don't get me wrong I love my SS and I've beat more then my fair share of vettes but in the end it's still a camaro and more geared towards straight line performance where the vette is geared more towards handling.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I agree, if Mario Andretti was in the C6 I was done for sure, and the vette will out corner a F-Body but only if the driver is better is what I am getting at. Which is not always the case.

I agree, if Mario Andretti was in the C6 I was done for sure, and the vette will out corner a F-Body but only if the driver is better is what I am getting at. Which is not always the case.
    I'm sure it wouldn't take Mario in a C6 to beat you in your camaro. My point is while a good driver can make up the difference so can a good car. I'm quite sure a driver with a little less ability then you could beat you in a C6 because the car handles better then yours. In the end it's not always about the driver the equipment matters a lot too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information